A Bit Of A Personal Question, About Depression After Quitting Analogs

nemesis

i have depression, not weak depression but nothing major, and i've been feeling quite a bit depressed today and i quit analogs since yesterday, is it common to get a bit of increased depression from quitting analogs? maybe the withdrawls or something? some other big changes happened in my life maybe it's from that, and also maybe since i'm dying of anticipation for the Playstation3 i'm buying on friday and really bored because of that, when i get bored i also get a bit depressed

but ya, is this common in anyone? a bit of depression? i went completely straight to e-cigs, didn't ween off the analogs

could be a low day too

thanks! and sorry for this personal subject :)

Edited by nemesis

i have depression, not weak depression but nothing major, and i've been feeling quite a bit depressed today and i quit analogs since yesterday, is it common to get a bit of increased depression from quitting analogs? maybe the withdrawls or something? some other big changes happened in my life maybe it's from that, and also maybe since i'm dying of anticipation for the Playstation3 i'm buying on friday and really bored because of that, when i get bored i also get a bit depressed

but ya, is this common in anyone? a bit of depression? i went completely straight to e-cigs, didn't ween off the analogs

could be a low day too

no need to be sorry. im fairly familiar with depression and change in routine can cause major effects. i tend to be a little obsessive and routine means a lot to me. so i had to start new ones. i guess what i trying to say is that you will adjust. for some people change is hard even if its good change.

could be a low day too

Hi Nemesis

I’m gonna put on my Dr. hat here for a sec. Let me just say first that neither psychology, nor psychiatry is my field of expertise, so please don’t take this as official medical advice. It is not.

Many of the things you mentioned can affect those suffering from depression. Depression being defined as a period of feeling depressed for a period greater than 2 weeks. The effect of withdrawal on the body is different for everyone ranging from feelings of anxiety to body aches and nausea. It is not uncommon for feelings of depression to be increased when you’re experiencing something new and a bit unpleasant. If you have not already spoken to a medical doctor about your feelings of depression, you really should. It’s not something you have to live with. If you are under medical treatment for depression, you should talk to your medical doctor about possibly increasing the dosage of your medication until your withdrawal symptoms have passed. But please speak with your medical doctor first. Don’t increase the dosage yourself.

thanks guys, my depression is one of my most depressing (haha!) things in my life, really i hate it

it's quite troublesome but i am taking medication for it, for i would be much more depressed without it. but wow that's a relief i hope it goes away for i love e-cigs!!!

i'm always depressed though, it never goes away just sometimes it gains more strength ;)

Hey Bud, sorry to hear that your feeling a bit down today. Quitting analogs can be tough, but I'm betting that your gonna do just great. These e-cigs really work well and you couldn't have come to a better forum when it comes to support.

Check out my post about seretonin and how nicotine and anti-depressants effect seretonin. I've been a nurse for 22 years and I've been completely off analogs for 18 days now. I quit analogs the minute I started vaping and haven't look back since.....

The post I'm refering to is in the news section under the topic about Dr. Seigal's article about Chantix Vs. E-cigs...I think you might find it educational....

You know this is something that is more common than most people would think. I sometimes get PM's about things like this because members don't feel comfortable posting it on the forum, I commend you for being so open about it.

Depression is an absolutely horrible feeling. But this has been reported, you have to remember that your brain has become used to certain chemicals coming in for years and now all of a sudden they're gone. Your brain probably doesn't quite know how to react. Now of course if you feel this is something more I suggest you visit your doctor immediately.

Everyone is different but you know what helps me if I'm having a downer day? Head over to Playlist.com create a playlist with your favorite tunes then open another browser window/tab and cruise and chat on Vapor Talk. Now I'm not saying we're here to treat depression but we're here to talk to you even if it isn't about electronic cigarettes, sometimes just chatting it up with some friends can take your mind off of things for a while. If you need to vent (without getting crazy) there is always the Vapor Lounge.

The nice thing about a forum is we don't know what you look like or where you work or who your friends are. We know you for you and your true personality. So just feel comfortable, If there are days you need to vent, let it out, we'll let you I promise :)

haha wow thanks guys, i will definitely check that post out

vapor lounge? wow good idea! after this i will head on over there

i must add, this is one of the friendliest forums i've ever come across, no trolls or anything!

yea i've been actually listening to music (well i always am listening to music) and browsing the net, talking on here and on the PS3 forums. yea the depression is nothing severe, i don't think i need to talk to the doctor about it but i'll bring it up, especially if it stays this way. i'm thinking, if tomorrow i feel the same way, or worse i'll have an analog, and see how that goes; if it helps then great, cause then i can slowly cut it down till i won't feel depressed anymore.

but Speakeasy, since you are a nurse do you suggest i try an analog tomorrow if this increased depression stays or gets worse? or do you think it's better for the long run if i don't? i can imagine if i smoke 1-3 analogs a day it might keep me depressed longer? i don't crave an analog, i dislike them now (haha!) yea i would ask my doctor but it's 1:35am here haha yea

i must add, this is one of the friendliest forums i've ever come across, no trolls or anything!

yea i've been actually listening to music (well i always am listening to music) and browsing the net, talking on here and on the PS3 forums. yea the depression is nothing severe, i don't think i need to talk to the doctor about it but i'll bring it up, especially if it stays this way. i'm thinking, if tomorrow i feel the same way, or worse i'll have an analog, and see how that goes; if it helps then great, cause then i can slowly cut it down till i won't feel depressed anymore.

but Speakeasy, since you are a nurse do you suggest i try an analog tomorrow if this increased depression stays or gets worse? or do you think it's better for the long run if i don't? i can imagine if i smoke 1-3 analogs a day it might keep me depressed longer? i don't crave an analog, i dislike them now (haha!) yea i would ask my doctor but it's 1:35am here haha yea

I'm not a doctor, but it has been noted that depression can be a side effect of quitting smoking. Actually it may be more of a symptom of quitting self medication for depression you already had. Nicotine has been known to help treat depression, and a large number of people suffering from it smoke as self medication, without even realizing it.

If I were you, and of course it is your choice, but I would look at trying to up your nicotine if your depression is really bothering you. Of course I would talk to my doctor about it, but studies have shown that nicotine can help in treatment of depression. Some doctors will actually prescribe anti-depressants along with smoking cessation products for this reason. Again, I am NOT a doctor and I have no medical training, I just know I have read about links between nicotine and depression.

Depression is absolutely a side effect of quitting smoking.

20+ years ago I did a clinical trial at Stanford for a smoking cessation product. Once a week I went in for various things, carbon monoxide test, blood test and then there was the 200 question paperwork to fill out. On that was no less that 75 questions regarding depression, all questions were phrased differently but none the less were depression related. They clearly knew that withdrawals from nicotine cause depression and they wanted to know the what percentage of the demographic group was experienceing depression and to what degree.

There is not nearly the amount of nicotine in ecigs that there is in analogs, so yes you are suffering from a certain amount of depression aside from whatever else is going on in your life which may be adding fuel to the fire so to speak.

Nicotine also speeds up your metabolism, and yes I have put on some unwanted excess weight since I started ecigs. Probably cuz i intentionally cut down the strength of the nic. Oh well -- something new to focus on but see my banner how well I have done...

thanks guys, good news is...

i woke up (just now) feeling wonderful, depression at a very Low (even less than usual, before the e-cig switch)

we'll see if it gets as bad as last night, if it does i might try an analog and see how that will help it

i woke up (just now) feeling wonderful, depression at a very Low (even less than usual, before the e-cig switch)

Glad your feeling better! Hang in there, the first few days are always tough!! It will only get better from here. We are here for you! :thumbsup:

(Moving topic to Health And Safety)

:)

Glad to hear your doin' better, bud. And hey, if you think an analog could sometimes take the edge off, go ahead. I certainly won't tell anybody. I'm glad you PM'd me last night.

Chris has really got his finger on the pulse of these things and he runs a fantastic forum. He couldn't be more correct about how all this works. And I'm sure that we all look forward to reading about your experience...

Hey Nem, sorry it took so long for me to respond, but it looks like youre in good hands here with everyones advice. As for having an analog, of course if you can avoid it, do so. But, thats entirely up to you, and NO ONE will think less of you for doing so. We all have our own limitations and breaking points. I have, in weak moments. taken a toke off an analog myself. The GOOD part was I immediatly went YUCKK ! Hopefully youll have the same reaction. If not, so be it. If you go from a pack a day to one or two cigs a day, youre heading in the right direction, and thats what matters. Hang in there buddy, we are all here for you ! :icecream:

yea i just had an analog and it seemed to do the trick

it made me feel better heh, i actually enjoyed the analog more than before e-cigs but probably because everything is nicer when you don't do it as much

i enjoy e-cigs sooo much more though!

if i enjoyed that last analog ranked as a 1, e-cigs is 10 hehe

so yea i think a couple analogs a day will help the depression

i'm also planning to get as much sleep as possible lately, and who knows maybe when i get my PS3 on friday it will make the world of a difference, i'm killing myself waiting for it haha

it's worth it, waiting on my moms holiday discount, she works at wal-mart :) double discount! :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that you have not been doing well. I am glad the analog helped you. But don't give up, stick with it. In time it will all sort it self out. Thank you for being so honest. I have wondered about the same thing from time to time. I think that is why I "cheated" every now and then.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but I'm glad you're feeling better. While quitting analogs completely is the ultimate goal, if it's going to make you depressed then by all means take an analog or two every now and then if it's going to make you feel better. Quitting is one of the hardest things to do and I don't see the need to go cold turkey. You'll eventually make your way to being completely smoke free and we'll be here for you every step of the way.

• 1 year later...

Tobacco contains other mood elevators than just the nicotine. Google tobacco maoi (MAOIs are a class of antidepressant drug) and you'll see all kinds of information about that. It could be that withdrawal from MAOIs or other tobacco substances causing some depression. The nice thing is, eventually your brain replaces the MAOs when you stop taking the inhibitors so maybe the depression will go away in time. DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor or psychiatrist.

EDIT: whoops, sorry for the thread necromancy. I didn't realize I was on the LAST page when I read this! :)

Edited by Aloysius