not as easy as it sounded

I read some of the threads about removing the silica wicks and replacing them with cotton for a faster absorbing wick. I thought maybe I'd get some practice in before I got my hands on the high vg liquid I'm getting next week.

Wow....it sounded pretty straight forward from what I read. I unwound the coil from the silica a replaced it with some cotton from off the end of my q-tips (my cotton supply is very limited here offshore). everything seemed cool up to the point where I began to re-wind the coil and tried making it look like it did before I began my little operation. It looked somewhat passable at best. getting in back in the shaft was another story all together.

Obviously I did something wrong because after I replaced my rig job the sucker wouldn't fire at all. I'm guessing the posts at the end of the wrapping weren't touching the right spots, thus not making the proper electrical loop.

Whatever the case my bravado concerning wick replacement has been knocked down a peg or two. I'm not saying I'll never try it again but I certainly put myself in a tight spot as I rendered one of my remaining two replacement coils useless. One coil left...one week til I hit land. Should be okay but I wish I hadn't put myself so close to the edge. Oh well, live and learn right?

First off, you don't unwind the coil from the silica wick. The wick should just slip out once you give it a tug. Then, you thread the cotton through the coil. You never want to unwind/build a coil without checking it on an ohm meter immediately afterwords to see if there's a short and what resistance it's at first.

I read some of the threads about removing the silica wicks and replacing them with cotton for a faster absorbing wick. I thought maybe I'd get some practice in before I got my hands on the high vg liquid I'm getting next week.

Wow....it sounded pretty straight forward from what I read. I unwound the coil from the silica a replaced it with some cotton from off the end of my q-tips (my cotton supply is very limited here offshore). everything seemed cool up to the point where I began to re-wind the coil and tried making it look like it did before I began my little operation. It looked somewhat passable at best. getting in back in the shaft was another story all together.

Obviously I did something wrong because after I replaced my rig job the sucker wouldn't fire at all. I'm guessing the posts at the end of the wrapping weren't touching the right spots, thus not making the proper electrical loop.

Whatever the case my bravado concerning wick replacement has been knocked down a peg or two. I'm not saying I'll never try it again but I certainly put myself in a tight spot as I rendered one of my remaining two replacement coils useless. One coil left...one week til I hit land. Should be okay but I wish I hadn't put myself so close to the edge. Oh well, live and learn right?

From the sound of it you went at it the wrong way

You didnt say what tank the coil was in

so the directions i give are for kanger pro tank 2

Dont unwind the coil

Just wet the wick and with tweezers pull the wick out carefully without moving the coil

pull a small piece of cotton off the q tip and roll it between your fingers

Make a point on the end of your cotton

insert inside the coil

Try your best not to push the coil to one side or the other

Trim the cotton wick to size

Wet new cotton wick with juice

pull another small piece of cotton and roll between fingers

put on top of coil in slot so ends come out on both sides

Put top tube back in

screw base back on full tank

Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes so cotton wick can start wicking juice

Then try it

It would be best if you had an ohms meter to check the coil

Maybe someone here has a better way to do it and they will post

Othe rthan this you will need kanthal wire to build another coil

Im sure when you unwound the original it wont work right for you

thanks for the clarification. it would be great if they had a vendor that sold coils with cotton wicks already put together. I searched but didn't find any. The procedure described may be a little outside my current experience and abilities. I'm sure I could get the hang of it eventually.

I just did some research and am thinking of going with an iClear 30s with 1.5 ohm dual coil cartomizer. they have 16 wicks and lots of holes to keep liquid "sucked up". I'm trying to make sure I have the best system for the high vg I'm planning on switching to. Also considering getting a mechanical mod. Got some inexpensive ones over at madvapes.

BTW it was a 2.5 ish ohm single coil I got from a B&M store in lafayette louisiana that goes in the tank that came off a kamry e-pipe. Not sure of the brand name, if any. It's a top feed single coil 3ml chrome and glass tank. don't have way to send picture now or I'd post one.

Edited by jerryjoe

thanks for the clarification. it would be great if they had a vendor that sold coils with cotton wicks already put together. I searched but didn't find any. The procedure described may be a little outside my current experience and abilities. I'm sure I could get the hang of it eventually.

Compenstine, owner of Fadora Vapors, will be rebuilding Kanger Pro Tank coils -- eventually. He's not quite ready to roll them out for sale just yet. :)

Don't worry about getting into more advanced stuff too fast. There's nothing wrong with taking it slow and learning everything you can. Take it at your own pace and just enjoy the ride. :)

Don't worry about getting into more advanced stuff too fast. There's nothing wrong with taking it slow and learning everything you can. Take it at your own pace and just enjoy the ride. :)

I like the way you worded that.