Update from Wizard Labs - Florida HB169

aufin

UPDATE 4/21/2014

Due to my original email last night, there have been several active discussions started online surrounding the new language in HB169.

I feel it's my responsibility to share some of those updates.

I've been in phone conferences late last night and this morning with Kevin Skipper of VISTA (Vaping Industry Strategic Truth Alliance), who has a lobbyist in the state capitol on behalf of the vaping industry.

Greg Conley, a well respected attorney in the vaping community has also weighed-in on the CASAA Facebook page regarding the recent changes to the bill.

Greg expressed his professional opinion that if this issue had been noticed 2 weeks ago, there may have been merit in attempting an amendment to the bill, but at this late date, with the deadline already upon us, a last minute attempt at changing the law could be more harmful than allowing the bill to pass in its current form.

After carefully weighing all of the available options left to us at this time, VISTA has agreed, and decided to hold off on filing official paperwork in Tallahasee this morning.

Instead, they have decided the best course of action will be in focusing their efforts behind the scenes to get assurances from the sponsoring representatives that the intention of this new language is not to enforce an online ban in Florida.

If those assurances cannot be met, Kevin has advised me that they are fully prepared to file the necessary paperwork to challenge, and we have pledged our support.

At this point in time, with the most current information available to me, I am deferring to the expertise of Mr. Conley, CASAA, and VISTA's assessment.

Their position is that the time for emails and phonecalls has passed, and our best chances at this late hour now depend on having the bill sponsor go on the record on the House floor that his intent is not to ban sales online.

Now that VISTA is aware of the situation, they will be actively working toward that goal over the coming days.

I would like to express my gratitude to all of the Florida vaping community who have come together in their passion and awareness over this issue.

This situation highlights the importance for all of us to stay involved and informed of any pending legislation that affects us and our community before it's too late.

I will be continuing to follow the course of this legislation both on the government website: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=51280

and CASAA's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/casaamembers?id=220551917982663&ref=notif&notif_t=like

Sincerely,

John MacLeod
Wizard Labs
6808 Hanging Moss Rd
Orlando, FL 32807
(321) 422-0803

At this point I only use Fuzion liquids. They are in Florida. I haven't followed this, does this bill mean I possibly will be unable to order from them from another state? States are losing their minds here. Is the tobacco lobby really able to exhibit this much influence?

Edited by bcartervol98

I have been keeping up with this lately and think they mean well but they are screwing my local BnMs up.Exactly!! ill-informed knee-jerk beaurocrats trying to make laws when they don't understand (don't care is probably closer to the truth) the Law of Unintended Concequences. If the truth be known, it's probably like the Feds ... the lowlife staffers write this foolishness and give the reps and senators just the highlights. Explain "good intentions" to the shop owner when he's turning out the lights for the last time.

I have family in Georgia and have hooked up with my shop to ship there and I will go get it for them. What good is that going to do? As I understand the bill, no one in the state of Fl will be able to do any online selling. You or I can buy online and have it mailed in, but not from anyone in Fl.

Not intending to sound argumentative. Politicians doing this kind of stupid stuff "for the children" brings out my not-so-nice side.

At this point I only use Fuzion liquids. They are in Florida. I haven't followed this, does this bill mean I possibly will be unable to order from them from another state? States are losing their minds here.

Is the tobacco lobby really able to exhibit this much influence? Money, money, money. Just toss enough at a politician and you can get whatever you want.

A copied quote from Wizard Labs - "What this means in simple terms are that all future sales of electronic cigarettes, e-liquids, and liquid nicotine in Florida must be conducted in face-to-face transactions at retail stores.

This bill currently makes no exceptions for legal online sales to adults."

Maybe "in Florida" gives the online sellers a bit of wiggle room........maybe.

So switch to a vendor that is not in florida. And if things get that bad vendors will open up shop in different states to accommodate.

They shouldn't have to move.

When does The session end?? I have seen most of this type of bil die in forum or just never make it to the floor before the end of the calendar ..

Don't know when the session ends. According to the original email from WL, the bill has already passed the state senate unaimously. House vote comes up very, very soon.

So switch to a vendor that is not in florida. And if things get that bad vendors will open up shop in different states to accommodate.

The car dealer, not vaping Fuzion?! Ha! Carter is gonna by a couple kegs! Better chance seeing him drive a VW!

BTW B..Happy 1 year anniversary..to you...and me!!

Two days for me Troy! Yea it's ******** but selfishly the one saving grace is Fuzion wholesales to vape shops so I would think that would be exempt based on the language I read. It's also a grey area it seems with transactions with residents of other states.

Either way 250ml of my Endless Summer is getting ordered in the next few days just till it gets sorted out. I cannot imagine vaping without it. Literally everything I try I can stand for about a half a tank and I keep 10 tanks filled with my stuff.