Wrapping coils for n00bs

Tw1sted

Hey guys and gals,

I've been looking at the QCoiler for a while now and after reading some posts in the new product section about people who had pre-ordered it getting their money refunded I was in search of a new "coiler" device to assist with wrapping coils.

Check out what I found.

http://ozcrafts.com.au/The-Deluxe-Coiling-Gizmo-P2348642.aspx

That little guy, called the 'Deluxe Coiling Gizmo' is meant for jewelry and bead making I guess, but it's perfect for coils according to some vapers that have used it. Check out the video below for a great example.

I've also been told that it's being sold at Michaels Arts & Craft stores for $10.99, I found it on Amazon for $9-something, and it's available with free shipping for prime members.

After seeing this I really can't think of any reason that people with even the most novice mechanical skills couldn't rebuild and make their own coils for pennies to the dollar in terms of purchasing premade wicks. Except of course if you don't have any way to check your resistance! In that case, JUST DON'T DO IT. It's not safe.

Edited by Tw1sted

I have seen these, very simple design that works. Thanks for posting this Tw1sted. :yes

You can get them here for $7.99

Thanks Comp!

That's the 'econo' version which comes with two different size rods, apparently the deluxe version comes with a total of 5 for some more variety of coil sizes.

So it is LOL Link to Deluxe Version @ $10.99

http://www.amazon.com/Artistic-Wire-Coiling-Deluxe-Jewelry/dp/B0068RQ85K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394652115&sr=8-1&keywords=deluxe+coiling+gizmo - Here's the link for the Amazon item $9.32 with free shipping for prime members.

Or get one of those 40% off coupons and pick it up at Michaels for $6!

That is a neat contraption you have there Compenstine!

Thanks I like it.:)

That's a sweet setup. All I use is a small diameter nail to wrap around, wire snips and a pair of needle nose pliers. I have to make me something like that.

I picked it up at Radio Shack a few years ago. They still carry them as far as I know. It is hands free soldiering hobby stand. I just took off the magnifing glass because it was in the way. Cost around $16.00

So if im using 32 gauge Kanthal and 3.5 mm silica wick, on average how many coil wraps would make a 2 - 2.2 ohm coil? I got a tester but instead of going through the whole trial and error thing I was just wondering if someone already knew.

So if im using 32 gauge Kanthal and 3.5 mm silica wick, on average how many coil wraps would make a 2 - 2.2 ohm coil? I got a tester but instead of going through the whole trial and error thing I was just wondering if someone already knew.

.... For a KPT.

If I'm not mistaken 5 wraps should do the trick. Remember that the KPT head is small. Make sure what ever you wrap it on will just fit down in the groves where the flavor wick fits. Leave the coil on the what you wrapped on so it stays lined up with the groves. This will also insure that it is seated properly to wick it after you have installed the coil.

If I'm not mistaken 5 wraps should do the trick. Remember that the KPT head is small. Make sure what ever you wrap it on will just fit down in the groves where the flavor wick fits. Leave the coil on the what you wrapped on so it stays lined up with the groves. This will also insure that it is seated properly to wick it after you have installed the coil.

Thanks, Ill be referring to Rixter's picture tutorial on how to do it as soon as I get my Kanthal and wick in the mail...

Be careful with the ithaka. If you are hurt starting to wrap coils know that you have to have resistance and non resistance wire and a wire joiner if you want to do it correctly. This is what turned me off of the ithaka and the prometheus.

I like to keep things simple

Be careful with the ithaka. If you are hurt starting to wrap coils know that you have to have resistance and non resistance wire and a wire joiner if you want to do it correctly. This is what turned me off of the ithaka and the prometheus.

I like to keep things simple

I checked out a video on youtube on building dual coils for an ithaka GG. Seemed pretty straight forward.