Glad to be here

Foghat

Hello,

I started vaping as a way to quit the habit that after 36 years has left me with "the lungs of an 80 year old man", as my doctor put it. Fortunately I have (so far) avoided the big C. However, COPD (chronic bronchitis) has (had, i hope) me to the point that any type of resipatory infection, flu, cold or even excessive dust can send me into coughing fits or in the worst cases, into the hospital. On my best days, I would hack up phlem 10 -15 times a day. On normal days, I would lay down for the night and literally gurgle, not gargle (that thing you do with mouthwash) but gurgle (like a quiet bubbling) while I was trying to breathe. My wife (a geriatric nurse) calls it a "death rattle", something her patients do (the ones who smoke) right before they, you know.. Basically, I was in a constant state of near pneumonia.

I tried everything else to quit:

• Cold Turkey - OMG no.. and my closest fix is in every convenience store, everywhere.
  • Patches - crazy, wild dreams. I mean... 15 ft killer blood sucking butterfly crazy dreams, ok?
  • Gum - well, maybe it tastes better now but back then? Why would they try to make it taste that way? I guess so kids wouldn't chew it. Yeah, well... Adults either IMO.
  • Wellbutrin - This turned me into a cry-baby basket case. Emphasis on BASKET case.
  • Chantix - see "Wellbutrin" and multiply by 5. Only a matter of time before I hurt myself or others. Scary thing is you can't just stop taking it..you have to be stepped down.

I tried switching to the "cigarette type" ecigs some time ago. While I'm sure that it's a fine product for some, for me it was inconsistent in vapor production, taste, and throat hit. (which I've read is caused by the level of nic). Oh it was convenient, small, compact, easy to use. It was just that something was up with their quality control. So, it was a short time before I was back to two packs a day.

I've been vaping a solid 20 days now on Kanger T3s tanks and Ego CTwist 900 mah bats. I don't see myself going back to analogs anytime soon either. I guess the difference is that if I don't get enough vapor or the taste goes bad then I can actually tear the tank down, find out whats wrong, fix it and keep on vaping. Something I couldn't do with the self contained, prefilled cartridges from before. It's fun to fiddle with the device. I can see myself eventually building my own mods, wrapping my own coils, etc..

I'm having a ball with experimentation, learning how it works, and what works best for me. And the best part, after 20 days I don't gurgle in my sleep and I don't cough up crap as often. This is a good hobby.

sig3399.png