Rebuilding your coil help

ErosTheLude

So I was at the local smoke shop and the guy there showed me how to rebuild my coils in my Kanger Mini Protank II. I already made the intake holes larger. I though it was great. I have been trying a few things. More or less cotton, more or less coils for less or more resistance and coil wrap size.

He was all about decreasing the resistance and increasing the voltage. When I think about it, the theory of how our ecigs work is the electricity is flowing over the wire and the resistance is creating heat which vaporizes the liquid. By that logic if you got the least resistant coil then you would need to increase your battery output to create the same level of heat that you would get from a coil that had more resistance to it.

So that being said do you want more or less resistance?

Another thing the cotton is being very finicky. How do you keep from singeing the cotton when smoking? If it singes then is there too much cotton? I used barely a whisp of cotton this build and I am not as satisfied as I was before. I am using medical grade 100% pure cotton. I wear gloves while handling it. When I go to thread the cotton through the coil I dab some ehookah juice on it and then I twist it a little. Like threading a needle.

Any and all knowledge and help would be great.

You have it backwards. Less resistance requires less voltage to make same power. Given the same voltage, less resistance makes more heat than higher resistance.

I should add that the above doesn't mean that the goal is the least resistance. If your resistance is too low it gravitates more toward a dead short and this can be dangerous. Your battery becomes a time bomb. You should research this further or talk to someone who knows before you get to heavily in to modifying your gear.

Edited by Bebop12

But less resistance also means more battery usage. But resistance is usually personal preference. I prefer a higher resistance.

As far as cotton for the wicks, I don't know about how much you used, I would guess if it's not enough, you would get flooding and leaking. Just make sure the wick is plenty wet before you start vaping, and as long as it's wet (which, in a bottom coil it will be), it won't singe, as far as I know.

Posted Image

Look familyar!! Made some good coils all in a paper clip and tight wraps..if u put it back on the paper clip its super easy to position and just slide cotton threw when ure done..

I would say use deferent wire and deff wraps and c what u like for resistance..i can tell u 12 wraps on a paper clip with 32g should come out to about 3.0 ohm and 12 wraps with 30g i think was just over 2ohm and 12 wtaps with 28g came out to be 1.2...

Yes I do have an ohm meter at work.

vaporraper what ohm coil is that? I usually use at max 5 wraps around a matchstick head. The "original" or factory wrap was like 6 at 2.2 ohms. and 5 wraps with 32 gauge came out to around 2.2 on my ohm meter. With so many wraps don't you have to worry about the coil touching itself and causing a contact short?

@ Spydre I do get the occasional dribble up in under the tip but I think that is caused by me keeping my vape in my pocket most of the day. I don't know the symptoms of flooding either. I usually take a wisp of cotton and place it on top of the coil before reassembly to prevent anything spitting up the vape when I pull hard. Maybe I should go pick up some cilica or whatever its called and use that instead. I like the cotton but the wick seems to need to be swapped every few days with it.

That coil was a 1.2 ohm,12 wraps with 28g..deff on the low side but works great irlf ure device can handle it..

Every coil i made for the pro style tank has ben a nano (i think thats the right wording for it),tight wraps and all touching.. they seem to work great!! All u have to do is play around with more/less wraps and deferent gauge wire to see what floats ure boat!

With so many wraps don't you have to worry about the coil touching itself and causing a contact short?

With the coils wrapped so tight and touching it actually decreases resistance and creates more surface area to produce heat and vapor.

Posted Image

Look familyar!! Made some good coils all in a paper clip and tight wraps..if u put it back on the paper clip its super easy to position and just slide cotton threw when ure done..

I would say use deferent wire and deff wraps and c what u like for resistance..i can tell u 12 wraps on a paper clip with 32g should come out to about 3.0 ohm and 12 wraps with 30g i think was just over 2ohm and 12 wtaps with 28g came out to be 1.2...

I use a paper clip with my builds also. But I have the silica or cotton on it as I wrap. I've tried it the other way but I can never get cotton thru the coil after it's built. How do you get it thru.

I like to get the coil biult and make sure it can slide off the paper clip..keep it on the paper clip and put it back together while useing the paper clip to keep the coil right were it needs to be.once the coil is set and back together pull the paper clip out and the coil should be easy to get the cotton threw as long as ure not useing to much..i use a piece of the wire that i made the coil from to sometimes help pull the cotton threw the coil...

I hope i explained it good enough to understand and i hope it helps!!

@VaporraperI tried your build suggestion with an epic level of success. I only used 6 wraps because it was a slightly larger paper clip but it works very well. I just have to work on the cotton top piece that I left to prevent flooding. Might decrease it by half should do the trick. Do you use minimal cotton or the most you can bring through that little coil wrap? Thanks again.

@VaporraperI tried your build suggestion with an epic level of success. I only used 6 wraps because it was a slightly larger paper clip but it works very well. I just have to work on the cotton top piece that I left to prevent flooding. Might decrease it by half should do the trick. Do you use minimal cotton or the most you can bring through that little coil wrap? Thanks again.

Whenever i put cotton threw a coil i always make sure it has some resistance but not to the point of it getting stuck when u slide it back and forth..

As far as the flavor wick/piece of cotton on the coil,i havent ben useing them anymore..ive ben folding the cotton back on itself but not on the coil..

Glad i could help,keep on rockin the vape!!

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your help! I moved to mechanical last month and your guidance has done wonders for my coil building skills.

Also, try building a vertical coil, pack the cotton around the coil, not to loose or tight, and use something between a 1/16 or a 1/8 drill bit to keep the flow. I was doing that at 1 ohm and getting great results before going to the mech mod.