I got my first RDA. Its a IGO-L I built a coil with 28g Kanthal and 2mm silica wick. I got a 1.7 Ohm coil but the flavor just isnt there. I get little flavor from it and I get a real harsh throat hit....I dont know if its that I just dont like the performance of an RDA or am I doing something wrong?

What I see in the pic is your wick is to small for the coil causing it not to get the fluid it needs, Basically dry hitting. Looks as if your coil is 3 to 31/2 mm with your 2mm wick. If you were to hit the fire button with the cap off so you can see the coil, I bet it would glow red. This would cause a very hot harsh hit. Also looks like the center post has a leg from the coil sticking out into the wicking on the other side of the coil. This could cause a short.

What I see in the pic is your wick is to small for the coil causing it not to get the fluid it needs, Basically dry hitting. Looks as if your coil is 3 to 31/2 mm with your 2mm wick. If you were to hit the fire button with the cap off so you can see the coil, I bet it would glow red.  This would cause a very hot harsh hit. Also looks like the center post has a leg from the coil sticking out into the wicking on the other side of the coil. This could cause a short.

So I should wrap the coil at a 2 1/2mm wrap?... would that cause the delay between the fire and the vapor production?

The hit/miss delay could be a bad connection between your coil and posts. Looks like the center post coil leg is barely on the post. Try making a better connection on both posts (One at a time) then test it. I would fold the 2mm wick in half and pull it thru the coil. Use a piece of coil wire folded over the wicking to help you thread the wick into the coil...

Yes you should wrap your coil the same size as the wick It would just require more wraps to get the resistance. Or double up your wick to fill the coil you already have.

Oh and also make sure your coil is not touching the deck or it will short.

Edited by Compenstine

Try this. Take a new piece of wire and wrap the coil. Then take your coil and angle it from the bottom of the deck towards the top cap. Then take some cotton with your silica and place it under your coil creating a bed for it. That should help with the flavor as for the juice sometimes your pg/vg ratio can become increasingly hard to hit in an RDA if there's too much pg. so maybe increase your vg content?