The Death of a Wonderful Indulgence

jonnoh

I had the greatest pleasure a couple of weeks ago when some former colleagues came up from Australia to visit. We did the bars and multiple towers of beer and my friends were so aghast as they'ed never seen me without a cigarette before like ever! So when we were on the verge of passing out we retired to my friends' hotel room where I crashed on the sofa. I knew I was going to be away from home for a couple of days so I had packed various batteries, tanks, liquids and chargers in a big zip pack (from eGo) which meant I had to wear my nicest cargo style trousers (is that oxymoronic? nice cargo trousers.) Anyway we all got up late the next morning and went to terribly exclusive and expensive bistro for brunch in honour of the occasion. The club had a cigar humidor with a separate Cuban section. I've always loved to indulge in an occasional Cuban, yes for the flavour but also for the rebellious act against government policy in Cuba. Kinda a James Dean thing. Anyway, Cubans aren't illegal here in Malaysia but the are still expensive so I used to buy them only when the mood hit maybe once every couple of months. So here I am at the bistro all those Cubans in front of me and I'd not smoked for a few months... so what to do? I bought one of course. In the past I would have normally bought about the cheapest version which is about RM 100 or about $30+ but this time I figured it would be the last time so I bought the RM 300 version thinking it would be awesome. I took it back to to the table and bit the end (real men don't clip) and lit it up. Now Malaysia is a civilized country and you can smoke in bars and restaurants at the discretion of the owner. They understand air handling equipment here and the dining patrons aren't too inconvenienced and the restaurants that don't allow smoking aren't as popular in my unscientific survey. Anyway back to this rather tedious story, when I took the first hit I had to do everything in my power to keep from publicly gagging. The taste was horrible! I figured it was just because I had recently quit smoking cigs, but no the second hit was almost worse. I continued to smoke if for a bit but the magic was totally gone and for that I blame and am grateful for VAPING! The RM 300 still sits in my formerly usual ashtray as a reminder both of a wonderful couple of days, and how powerful cravings are and of course it was RM 300 so how can I throw it away Sheesh!

The perfect story- tragedy yet triumph, full of pathos. Gripping and entertaining but wonderfully sad. I am elated but still a tear is shed for the pain and loss. At once, there is defiance and redemption.

Beautiful

During war time you can get whatever you want. I was 17 when my load crew Sgt gave me my first Cubano. He clipped and he was a real man. He kept most of us alive thru very bad times and killed way more than his share of bad guys. When I was wounded he gave me a box of Cuban Partigas Lusitanias. (the great Lucy) We learned not to ask how or where he got them! (but it was 1971 things were possible!)

Sgt Glen Yarbrough was quite a guy. I smoke cigars and some cubanos for around 40 years. (almost never ciggs) I have breathing issues now so had to quit them. I didn't go willingly. I still miss the feel of a cigar sometimes. But over 100 days now with no tobac at all. Nic yes. All the harmful stuff in tobac? Never again!

• 2 weeks later...

DEBOP 12 Thank you for that review! Of course I say thank you because it was positive :) Can I beg your indulgence to review my next novel (if I ever finish it)?

Sheepdog, I was 19 in 1971 and you're so right all things were possible. Amazing how powerful memories of those times are. I guess we were on opposite sides of the fence then. I consider myself a "Woodstock Era Veteran" I guess we hippie pinko commies were spending our paltry $ on bongs instead of cigar accessories which gave us an excuse to find an excuse for biting :) Nice to know we are now brothers in vaping. I hope your breathing issues improve with time. I see we've been off the cigs about the same amount of time and my lungs seem to improve in baby steps. I've never gotten diagnosed cuz I live in a third world (oops sorry developing) nation and here real men just suck it up. I'm totally sure my lungs are COPD saturated after almost 50 years of 2 packs a day :) But it has gotten much better and I expect that to continue.

DEBOP 12 Thank you for that review! Of course I say thank you because it was positive :) Can I beg your indulgence to review my next novel (if I ever finish it)?

Of course!