Twisted Wire...What am I doing wrong?

CascadianExotics

If im correct in assuming, isn't twisting the Kanthal supposed to increase the gauge, and therefore decrease the overall resistance of the coil? Is the bigger surface are of the wire supposed to increase vapor output? I don't know...

After two attempts at it, I have to say that I'm not impressed. My first attempt saw my pitiful attempt at hand-twisting. It certainly lowered the resistance (0.5 ohms), but never properly made contact with the wick. Resulting in some of the worst dry-hits I've ever experienced.

post-18408-137703023656_thumb.jpg

So, I pulled a Tim Allen and rewired it!!! This time I used a drill...playing with power tools is always awesome, right?

post-18408-137703035887_thumb.jpg

Same wrap, better twist...

post-18408-137703047335_thumb.jpg

....but it actually RAISED the resistance!!! 0.8 ohms (from 0.6), and very little vapor output. I'd be better off not twisting, and removing the washer mod...

So, what am I doing wrong? Or, is it behaving normally while I'm expecting a different result?

I believe twisting will raise the resistance. Therefore you can do less wraps and get the same coil. Dont quote me on this but it seems to me that its doing what its supposed to according to what i have read. Also i think most people twist resistance and non resistance wire together so they can satisfy the needs for the Ithaka's. Thats the only twisting i have ever read about so maybe im wrong. :)

Actually, twisting your Kanthal will lower your resistance by about 1/3, so If you're using 32 gauge Kanthal A-1, a single strand should provide you with about 1.15Ω per inch, while twisted 32 gauge should get you down to around .77Ω per inch. The big difference is that you've effectively doubled your surface area and added a lot of little nooks and crannies for your juice to get vaporized from.

Why your resistance increased is a mystery to me, too. :question:

yep, it increases the wicking and flavor. The more wraps the merrier, kind of like the micro-coil principle,

The drill is the best way to get that proper steady tension. I use a coat hanger, which works okay, but it's nothing like the good steady drill method.

If im correct in assuming, isn't twisting the Kanthal supposed to increase the gauge, and therefore decrease the overall resistance of the coil? Is the bigger surface are of the wire supposed to increase vapor output? I don't know...

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1377030234501.jpg

Same wrap, better twist...

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1377030471351.jpg

....but it actually RAISED the resistance!!! 0.8 ohms (from 0.6), and very little vapor output. I'd be better off not twisting, and removing the washer mod...

So, what am I doing wrong? Or, is it behaving normally while I'm expecting a different result?

Well looking at your 2 coils they are both wrapped 3 times. But your bottom tightly twisted coil starts out with 2 much longer strands of wire = more resistance.