I'm a total noob, and need help with throat hit.

Okay, I'll try to make this simple and brief. A few weeks ago I got an "atmos RAW" vape pen. The thing is technically made for dry tobacco/herbs, not e-liquid. However, I found out that you can add a tank to it (clearomizer and whatnot) and it can be used as an e-cig. So I got excited, took my battery to a local vape store today (Totally Wicked, located in Tampa, FL) and asked them if they had a tank that fits my battery. Sure enough, they did, and gave me the tank shown here:

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/products/replacement-coil-systems-2/nova-series/rcs-v3-clearomizer-2-product.html

So that's cool and all, and technically it works with my battery... however, it's so harsh it almost kills me. I purchased some juice made by Totally Wicked and have vaped the same juice in my friends Ego, and it was so smooth and nice with huge clouds. But with mine, I can't get a decent amount of vape without my lungs burning.

After doing some research, I found out this could have to do with voltage and ohms. So I took out my multimeter and checked the resistance of the tank, and it read at 3 ohms. Now my battery, won't accurately at all. But I have heard online that it is either a 2.7v or 3.7v. I'm not sure which one to believe, but here is a link to the battery I have.

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/products/replacement-coil-systems-2/nova-series/rcs-v3-clearomizer-2-product.html

so my question is, how do I get this thing to smoke smoothly? I bought this in order to replace my 1 pack a day smoking habit, and after a few hours of trying to get a smooth hit from the thing, I went to the gas station and got more cigarettes.

Can anyone please help me? I am new to this and I figured that the local store I went to would have matched the tank to my battery for me. But apparently not! I regret purchasing this tank so far, and I want that to change.

If you need more info, I will supply as much as I can.

On my variable voltage Vision Spinner batteries, whenever I have the voltage cranked too high I get a very harsh vape. Dial it down a bit and it smooths out. My advice to you would be to get a device that's specifically made for vaping like an eGo Twist or Vision Spinner. I'd also get a real Vision Stardust V3 or a different clearomizer that's not a knock off with a house brand name slapped on.

You can get all of that here at the Vapor Talk Market Place. Brian, owner of The Veteran Vaper, has a presence here with a 1300 mAh Vision Spinner. Add to that a Vivi Nova, Vivi Nova Mini, Kangor T2 (aka eGo 2.4 ml CC changeable coil clearomizer), and you'll be all set.

As for juice, keep this in mind:

more VG = more vapor, slightly sweeter flavor, less throat hit, thicker juice (too much VG tends to clog the wicks)

more PG = better flavor delivery, more throat hit, thinner juice

Good luck! There are a lot of good, knowledgeable people here, feel free to ask as many questions as needed. :)

On my variable voltage Vision Spinner batteries, whenever I have the voltage cranked too high I get a very harsh vape. Dial it down a bit and it smooths out. My advice to you would be to get a device that's specifically made for vaping like an eGo Twist or Vision Spinner. I'd also get a real Vision Stardust V3 or a different clearomizer that's not a knock off with a house brand name slapped on.

You can get all of that here at the Vapor Talk Market Place. Brian, owner of The Veteran Vaper, has a presence here with a 1300 mAh Vision Spinner. Add to that a Vivi Nova, Vivi Nova Mini, Kangor T2 (aka eGo 2.4 ml CC changeable coil clearomizer), and you'll be all set.

As for juice, keep this in mind:

more VG = more vapor, slightly sweeter flavor, less throat hit, thicker juice (too much VG tends to clog the wicks)

more PG = better flavor delivery, more throat hit, thinner juice

Good luck! There are a lot of good, knowledgeable people here, feel free to ask as many questions as needed. :)

Thanks for the helpd, it's much appreciated, I was actually looking into getting the Ego Twist battery because you can change voltage. I know that the set up I put together is basically a frankenstein vape pen. In fact, the tank doesn't even fit the threads on the battery correctly, so it wiggles around and isn't tight. I will look into getting a new battery and tank. I also will probably order different juices instead of buying them from Totally Wicked.

The ego c-twist has 2 numbered markings on it. 3.2 and 4.8 and little "tick"marks at .2 intervals. It's easy to know where you are at but different people vape at different voltages. That battery and the spinner are priced about the same at $25.

Any suggestions as to what tank I should get? Also, with an ego twist, do the ohms of the tank really matter? I mean, you can change the voltage, so would I have to actually worry about such a thing?

Another question, anyone know of a good company that makes awesome juice? I want something with a lot of diverse flavors. I like to get one tobacco flavored liquid (for when I want to smoke something more close to home), but I love trying different flavors out.

As someone who is new to vaping simplicity is probably the way to go. You can branch out later. I'd suggest a Kangor T2 (aka eGo 2.4 ml CC changeable coil) or a Vivi Nova. The T2 comes with a stock 1.8 ohm coil if I remember correctly. Either a 1.8 or 2.4 ohm coil on the Vivi Nova. I could be off just an ohm or two but it wouldn't matter with a variable voltage device.

Juice is an extremely personal thing. What tastes great to one person will be vile to another. My personal favorite site for juice is EC Blends. They have over 400 different flavors and ways to customize each one in quite a few different ways. Their prices are low and customer service excellent. :D

Others on this forum love Mt. Baker Vaper and Vape Dudes. The Vapor Room and Sweet-Vapes.com (make sure to use the hyphen), are also very popular sites for juices.

Edited by Tameiki

What nic strength are you vaping? That has just about everything to do with throat hit. The general rule of thumb is: the higher the strength, the more throat hit you will get. Vapor production also plays a part, albeit a small one. More vapor = a little more throat hit. Although VG content has a bit to do with vapor production, it isn't everything. Hotter coils + greater airflow = bigger clouds. The funny thing about vaping is that any change you make diametrically changes the vape. In other words, make one change at a time so you can track down the weak spots later. Hope this helps!!

Edited by CascadianExotics

More vapor = a little more throat hit.

Have to disagree with you here, Steve. :)

More vapor would mean more VG. More VG would be less throat hit, smoother vape.

More PG would give you more throat hit and less vapor.

Edited by Tameiki

What nic strength are you vaping? That has just about everything to do with throat hit. The general rule of thumb is: the higher the strength, the more throat hit you will get. Vapor production also plays a part, albeit a small one. More vapor = a little more throat hit. Although VG content has a bit to do with vapor production, it isn't everything. Hotter coils + greater airflow = bigger clouds. The funny thing about vaping is that any change you make diametrically changes the vape. In other words, make one change at a time so you can track down the weak spots later. Hope this helps!!

I'm using Totally Wicked's "medium" strength. It's either 18mg or 1.8%, something like that. I told the guy I smoked a pack a day so he suggested I go with medium.

I'm about to order my ego-t battery and a new tank. Hopefully it makes a difference.

Edited by georgeisabamf

Also, one last question before I order my new battery. What about mAh? I know what it stands for, but not sure if there is a reason for there being so many different levels of it. For instance, the ego-t comes in anywhere from 650-1000mAh. What should I get if I plan to use a Kanger t2?

Edited by georgeisabamf

In a 1000 mAh battery, the charge will last longer than a 650 mAh so you'll have to charge it less often.

I would still strongly recommend a variable voltage instead. The batteries you're considering have only one voltage while variable voltage will allow you to turn it up or down depending on what kind of juice and/or clearomizer you're using. Some juices will taste better at a higher voltage while others taste better at a lower one. Also, the ohms of the coil will make a greater difference at a fixed voltage. Just my two cents. :)

In a 1000 mAh battery, the charge will last longer than a 650 mAh so you'll have to charge it less often.

I would still strongly recommend a variable voltage instead. The batteries you're considering have only one voltage while variable voltage will allow you to turn it up or down depending on what kind of juice and/or clearomizer you're using. Some juices will taste better at a higher voltage while others taste better at a lower one. Also, the ohms of the coil will make a greater difference at a fixed voltage. Just my two cents. :)

Well, I want a variable voltage. The ego-t battery is variable voltage, right? I am on Joyetech's website, and the ego-t comes in different mAh's. So that means they aren't VV?

Wait, maybe the ego-t isn't the twist... is this the ego-twist that was aforementioned? or am I looking at the wrong battery?

http://www.joyetech.com/product/details.php?gno=24

Edit: Never mind, I'm dumb! These are what I am looking for, right?

http://www.joyetech.com/product/details.php?gno=112

Edited by georgeisabamf

http://vaportalk.com/marketplace/adjustable-voltage-en/

Try the above link instead. These vendors are tried and have excellent customer service. All of the batteries you see are variable voltage. With so many different things out there it can make your head spin when you're new. :)

I just ordered the ego-c twist battery from a site called "Liberty Flights." It was one of the only sites I could find that would allow me to pay with Paypal. I ordered the battery, and a mini nova. I hope I like the set up!

Good choice. :)

I've ordered from Liberty Flights before and they've been a good company for me. I think you'll like this set up that you've ordered.

What's the PG/VG ratio of juice you're using? Nicotine percentage?

Good choice. :)

I've ordered from Liberty Flights before and they've been a good company for me. I think you'll like this set up that you've ordered.

What's the PG/VG ratio of juice you're using? Nicotine percentage?

I didn't order any new juices, unfortunately, but the two I currently have contain 1.8% nicotine by volume. As for PG/VG, they don't mention on their site. But from what I have read, they are higher in PG (unfortunately) than VG. That could have been another reason why the juice was so harsh to me, but I think it more so has to do with the heat. For instance, when I hold the button down on my current e-cig, you can hear the juice like crackling (if that makes sense). I don't know if that's normal or not, but to me it seems to be getting too hot.

If I get my new set-up but still find the juice to be too harsh, I will definitely order some that is more VG based. It sucks though because totally wicked is one of the only local stores I can think of that sells a decent selection of juice, but from what I've heard, their juices are almost always more PG based.

Edited by georgeisabamf

With your Twist you should be able to dial it down a bit so it's not so harsh for you. Once you get into vaping you'll probably want to try some of the online vendors. If you're not sure about using your credit card with any of the sites just get a prepaid one that you use only for these shopping trips. :)

With your Vivi Nova mini, just keep in mind that the more VG is in the liquid, the thicker it is (usually), and that could gunk up your wick to give you a burning taste and/or harsh vapor. If you wind up buying online there are quite a few places that let you choose how much PG/VG you want. I'd start with 50/50 and go from there. That's thin enough that it won't impede wicking, gives a decent throat hit without being too harsh and loads of vapor. :)

With your Twist you should be able to dial it down a bit so it's not so harsh for you. Once you get into vaping you'll probably want to try some of the online vendors. If you're not sure about using your credit card with any of the sites just get a prepaid one that you use only for these shopping trips. :)

With your Vivi Nova mini, just keep in mind that the more VG is in the liquid, the thicker it is (usually), and that could gunk up your wick to give you a burning taste and/or harsh vapor. If you wind up buying online there are quite a few places that let you choose how much PG/VG you want. I'd start with 50/50 and go from there. That's thin enough that it won't impede wicking, gives a decent throat hit without being too harsh and loads of vapor. :)

sweet, sounds good. Thanks for the help by the way! Do you have any experience at all with mixing your own juice?

You're welcome. Always happy to help a new vaper! :)

Sadly, I haven't ventured that far yet other than to customize the bejesus out of the juices I order from EC Blends. Kitsune is the Godess of DIY. If you go to the DIY thread you'll find lots of information as well as recs on where to get the stuff you'll need.