Ok you Genius Mixer- uppers... Im looking for "crumble" ingredients...

I have been diy'ing for a few months, after much trial and error, I have a few that I finally love.. I am however, struggling with a couple that I would like to have a "crumble topping " flavor... There are a few "genius mixers" here and I am hoping someone can give me an idea of where to start to obtain such a flavor, on my blackberry, rhubarb, etc.. Your help and attention to this post is MUCH appreciated...

Oh yum!!

I'm still new to DIY, I haven't a clue, but I'll be subscribing to this thread and following along. Kitsune, Mike, and the other guru's will be in shortly, I'm sure. If they don't know right now, you can bet they'll figure it out. They're topnotch chefs.

Thats what I figured, and that is precisely why I asked!! I have spent a few months perfecting my recipes (to my taste) and or my versions of "clones" and the crumble topping just gets me..... Ill be refeshing often, hoping to get some answers for us newbie mixers!! Thanks for your post Uma

I've added different crust type flavors to some of my bakery recipes by simply adding a little bit of graham cracker flavoring and also I have a flavor called pie crust which also does the job pretty well. You may have to use your imagination and a lot of trial and error(small batches) to create what you are going after. Sometimes a flavor or combo of will take on a taste that you don't expect and sometimes you get lucky and come up with something great(tell us when this happens!) I don't have the perfect answer to your question but I know the flavor you are describing. Not sure which flavors will take you there but if you keep trying different things you'll probably hit on it sooner or later. It might take a nut flavor, molasses, bread, danish or who knows what. I'm thinking that the flavor(s) needed to get that crunch taste on top of your other recipes will be considerably less % so that it doesn't drown out the main dish.

Mike, Thanks for bringing in some fresh ideas!! I have about 100 flavors, including the graham cracker and pie crust, as well as cinnamon danish swirl, coffee cake (hint of cinn)and brown sugar.. One would think it wouldnt be hard, I say this after almost pulling out my hair a few times :) But it is certainly tricky.. However, as I type, Im thinking perhaps, a tad pie crust with a drop of cds....(thanks for the starting point) Putting stuff in a baking pan is soooo much easier...

Any and all other ideas welcomed...

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up, and say that have found waffle to have that crumble topping flavor! It works well for me at about 5-6% when used as a "topping". Its kind of like an oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamony hint at the end! Thanks for helping me to open my mind!!

• 3 years later...
On 5/30/2013 at 9:29 PM, Krystal68 said:

Mike, Thanks for bringing in some fresh ideas!! I have about 100 flavors, including the graham cracker and pie crust, as well as cinnamon danish swirl, coffee cake (hint of cinn)and brown sugar.. One would think it wouldnt be hard, I say this after almost pulling out my hair a few times :) But it is certainly tricky.. However, as I type, Im thinking perhaps, a tad pie crust with a drop of cds....(thanks for the starting point) Putting stuff in a baking pan is soooo much easier...

Any and all other ideas welcomed...

Add a couple drops of vanilla to your pie crust and pre mix it with2 drops of sweetener then add to basr