California Senate Votes to Regulate Ecigs

Jeffb

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2013/05/senate-votes-to-regulate-e-cigarettes.html

Electronic cigarettes would be subject to the same prohibitions as regular cigarettes under a bill passed Friday by the Senate.

Perhaps you've had this experience: you're sitting in a bar and you see what appears to be someone smoking a cigarette, blatantly violating an indoor smoking ban; you get a little closer and realize that the person is in fact drawing on an e-cigarette, exhaling vapor that's distinct from the acrid smoke produced by conventional cigarettes.

That would no longer be possible under Senate Bill 648 by Sen. Ellen Corbett, D-San Leandro, that would ban e-cigarettes inside public buildings, near a playground, inside restaurants and on an airplane. It would also restrict the places where e-cigarette companies could advertise.

Corbett said she had authored the legislation in pursuit of "consistent regulation" that holds the burgeoning e-cigarette industry to the same standards as tobacco-based products, and added that studies of e-cigarette smoke had found harmful particles of metal components.

"This bill does not ban the use of e-cigarettes," Corbett said, "it just treats them the same as other cigarettes."

The measure passed on a 21-10 vote. One of the dissenting lawmakers, Sen. Joel Anderson, R-Alpine, argued that e-cigarettes are an effective way to help people quit regular cigarettes, something he asked senators to consider given the fact that "we spend tens of millions, billions of dollars trying to get people off cigarettes."

"While it may not be perfect, it's a step in the right direction," Anderson said of substituting the futuristic-looking smokes for conventional cigarettes, adding that e-cigarettes have given "a new lease on life" to constituents who have struggled to kick the habit.

Edited by jeffb

At least 10 of them had their brains in gear, and I'd like to thank those 10 for trying to talk sense into the rest of them.

This is so sad. So very sad.

And if I'm not mistaken, isn't that a blatant lie about the metal.

Her website says:

Latest Press Releases

Corbett Bill Protecting Public From E-Cigarette Harm Passes Senate - May 24, 2013 SB 648 Protects Public Health, Reduces Confusion

Shouldn't it really be saying:

Corbett Bill Murdering Public with Tobacco Cigarettes Passes Senate - May 24, 2013 SB 648

• 1 month later...

Next they will have to cecum to 'their' addiction of getting their sticky hands into the public's pocket and somehow justify a tax on ecigs so they can use the proceeds to buy votes to keep them in office so they can continue to dip into the public's pockets.

Great gig, pass laws to make it legal to steal peoples money so you can use it to keep your job.

this sucks, i just joined CASAA. Is there other CASAA members on the forum? hope so, please join if not, no matter what state you live in all people who use electronic cigarettes are in this together, e cigs save lives!!!

If you have fallen for the hoax that government cares about 'saving lives', don't feel bad......they continue to fool people everyday. All you can do is 'wake up'. The only thing 'government' and politicians care about is your vote, and your money.

To them I would just say I found a product which got me off the real thing and saved my life. And of course like everything good that works the government has to get involved. Less minors are smoking and this product works for me. Why mess up a good thing?