I Pulled The Trigger, Now I Have Questions

Jetson1950

Hello everybody. I have been (was) a smoker forever. My little sister was able to quit last year after converting to e-cigs so I decided to give it a try. I have been reading everyone's post for a while and last week I finally felt I had enough info to make the jump. Special thanks to JQ and all those who were giving her advice, because that's the road I followed and couldn't be happier. I went with the Ego starter kit from Nashville and the juices and clearomizers from Sweetvapes. Started with their traditional tobacco and Mocha flavors on a 70/30 mix with 12 mg. Everyones post on JQ's thread made my first experience perfect.

As for that first drag on my new toy, it went like this. I was smoking my good ole Marborro Ultra light while getting everything ready (charging batts and loading juice). When I took my first drag on my ego, all I can say is, I just started laughing. It was exactly the same. It felt the same. Same draw resistance, same hit, same amount of smoke except it smelled and tasted better and I was sitting in my favorite chair and not outside in the cold. I was just beside myself that it worked so well. My, as you guys say, analogs went to the frig for storage and I suspect thats where they will stay. I have not had the urge to get them out at all since making the switch.

Okay, now for my list of new questions. As I said above, my experience so far is limited to the two flavors mentioned and the 70/30 mix at 12 mg. What I am interested in is the relationship of the PG/VG mix and nicotine levels. One more bit of info, I was not a real heavy smoker. Pack a day of ultra lights. I've been on my ecig for three days now and have only gone through about 1.5ml of juice. Still on my original battery charge.

-First question. After a few hours, my throat feels a little sensative to the hits and feels like it would if I were smoking way too much. Is that a normal thing and will it subside or stay with me. Would a different PG/VG ratio, say 50/50, make it better?

Second question. When I first turn on my ego and take my first drag, I hear a popping sound. Is that the batt connection or something else making the noise.

Third question. I went with the 12 mg juice because all were saying the ultra-lights were equivilant to 6 mg juice. Really didn't seem that way to me. After a few hours the second day, I could tell I was getting a lot less nicotine than normal. Does that match with everyone else's experience?

Once again, thanks for all the info to get me started. I think the analogs are definitely a thing of the past.

Jetson

Hi,welcome, good choice.The throat thing is probably technique.Drink a lot of water .Get a mouthfull of vapor then inhale.,the PG/VG has more to do with vapor than nicotine.VG produces more vapor.The popping is normal it is little steam bubbles popping as things warm up.I think low nic levels and more vaping is the way to go.12 mg is a very good starting place.Most people kick the nic level up to compensate for vaping not being just like smoking as far as throat hit.

Understand. Actually the throat hit feels exactly like my old cigs. I'm dragging on these exactly like before. Get a mouthful and then inhale. I think what I'm experiencing is sort of an after effect of the juice. Never in all the years of smoking did I ever feel the need to clear my throat after having a smoke, but I do seem to feel the need to clear my throat with the e-cig. Feels like I have a residue left in my throat. But, its definitely something I can live with. It's been three days now without an analog and I can already feel the difference. More energy and all the other good effects you get when you stop smoking.

The starter kit came with a bottle of 18mg juice and I tried it. Definitely stronger than the 12mg. It will be my reserve if I ever feel the need for more nicotine. How long can juice stay in a carto before it starts turning bad?

Some new vapers will think that they are not getting enough nicotine and it feels like something is missing. There is something missing, tar, carbon monoxide and a whole bunch of other chemicals. The ex-smoker actually craves this junk and when it's not there he can notice that it's gone. Making the switch to e-cigs IS quitting smoking and it's not the easiest thing to do but it is a whole lot easier than other ways because you can get nicotine in a familiar way.

It takes a while for your body to get used to vapor over smoke. You may experience a dry throat or an intense craving for an anolog and so on. Drinking plenty of fluids helps with this and also flushes toxins out of your body. It only gets better. Less coughing, food starts tasing better, your clothes, hair, car, house will smell better and if you're wallet will get fatter. Congrats for using an eGo over a Marlboro.

I think I am going to be one of those who made the jump and never looked back. Did the patches for years and never could make the final cut from my marlboros. Since my first draw on my ego, I have no desire to go back. One more bennie. There's a hurricane going on outside and I don't have to go out to have my fix. Yeah!!!!

What you just said woke up an inactive brain cell from my quitting experiences. It was always when I would quit smoking for a while that I would get the feeling on needing to clear my throat. I think that is what I'm experiencing because, as you say, all the junk is not there and my lungs are already starting to clean house. I love it.

So far my juice experience has been three different flavors. The tobacco flavor that came with the kit from Nashville, Traditional Tobacco and Starbuck's Mocha from Sweet Vapes. The tobacco with the kit was, well, kinda so so. I hope anyone thinking of making the jump to ecigs orders something other than that, because if that were your first experience, you might not think ecigs are all that great.

The Traditional Tobacco from Sweepvapes was just really nice. My first drag was with this and I was expecting (from all the post I've read) to experience cardboard, burnt nylon or maybe stale wet tabacco, but it was absolutey wonderful. Ten times better than my old marlboros. The Mocha was, well, pretty much like mocha. So far I will put it in my "good" catagory, but it probably won't be in my top five. Guess I'm more of a cappachino kinda person.

I'm going to make another order from SweetVapes to get a few more different flavors. Looking for suggestions on what folks like the best in their collection.

First, welcome and congratulations! From what you wrote, you probably had the best jumping to e-cig experience anyone could ask for. I wish I'd found Vapor Talk before I made the switch.

-First question. After a few hours, my throat feels a little sensative to the hits and feels like it would if I were smoking way too much. Is that a normal thing and will it subside or stay with me. Would a different PG/VG ratio, say 50/50, make it better?

What Mike said makes a lot of sense. Also, what flavors are you using? In my experience, limited as it may be, I've found that different flavors affect me in different ways. There are days when the citrus of the Mojito is just what I'm wanting and others when it's almost a burning sensation in my mouth and throat. There are times when the sweet coffee flavors go down oh so smooth but other days when it's too heavy. In my quest as a noobie to find what juice works for me I've amassed everything from 70 pg/30 vg, 50/50, to 100% VG and in nicotine levels from 0 to 24 mg. It's different for everyone and you'll have the pleasure of discovering what works best for you. And it changes as your body recovers from the analogs, too, I've found.

Second question. When I first turn on my ego and take my first drag, I hear a popping sound. Is that the batt connection or something else making the noise.

You didn't mention what you have on your eGo battery. Is it a clearomizer, cartomizer, atomizer...? Assuming it's a clearomizer like the Stardust or T2, just unscrew it from the battery and blow into the mouth piece into a tissue. See if any liquid comes out. Dab a little into the bottom near the air hole. If you see some liquid there, keep blowing gently for a while. Also, dab a corner into the top of your battery to clear any liquid there. If there's liquid in either or both those places when I start, I usually get a popping or crackling noise for a bit.

Third question. I went with the 12 mg juice because all were saying the ultra-lights were equivilant to 6 mg juice. Really didn't seem that way to me. After a few hours the second day, I could tell I was getting a lot less nicotine than normal. Does that match with everyone else's experience?

I didn't notice, but then I was pretty distracted trying to figure out the battery, clearomizers, juice and vaping in general all by myself.

Anyway, sorry for the long reply but I'm glad you're off the analogs. Keep it up, you're going to feel even better than you do right now! :lol:

Thanks Tameiki. I'm thinking this has gone pretty much perfect for me because of the info from the forum before I jumped in and the fact that I have been trying for ages to quit the analogs and I was so ready for this to work. Folks here gave me great info to do it right the first time.

Good info on the changes you experience with the same flavors. Also I can see already that the flavors may seem good for a while and then your tastes change. I will probably pick a couple more different flavors and then wait a while to see which ones stay with me and which lose their pazzaz. The idea of getting some cappachino and diluting down the Mocha sounds good too. Will have to try that.

In one of me T2s I have a blend of 30% Starbuckets Mocha (6 mg nic, 50/50 PG/VG) and 70% Dulce de Leche (6 mg nic, 70 PG/30 VG). Lately, I've really been stuck on the Dulce de Leche flavor, it's really mellow but addicting. These are both from Sweet-Vapes. Other flavors that I switch off to are cranberry from The Vapor Room (12 mg nic, 75/25 PG/VG) and Vanilla Malt and the Chocolate Malt from EC Blend (both at 6 mg, 50/50, extra flavor).

As time goes by my tastes change and I'll go back to flavors that I didn't think were so great at first and find them wonderful. Other flavors that I chain vaped at first might not appeal as much but could make a come back later on. Then, you'll also find that flavors themselves change with how long they steep.

Next, we'll get you direct dripping. You'll notice a difference in how everything tastes... :)

*whispers* Hey, Kitsune! Am I doing this recruiting to direct dripping thing right? ^_____^

So many options......wow! I have not done any reading on direct dripping. I'll have to keep that in my hip pocket for down the road. I'm just having way to much fun right now with my limited starter set. Drag, laugh, say this is so cool......drag, laugh, say this is so cool.

One thing I would see a lot on the posts was telling newbies to take a longer slow drag. I did that, but today I went back to my normal shorter drag that I did with my marlboros and it's perfect. The throat issue is gone and the short drag seems perfect.

Now I just have to convince my boss to let me vap in the office. Might be a tough sell.

Playing and learning with all the options and flavors is fun! If you decide to try direct dripping, you might hop over to this thread:

Everyone was really nice in answering all my many questions. Be sure to get a drip shield when you go down this road, it makes things much easier and less messy. There is a learning curve involved but it's so worth it once you get it down. :lol:

I'm just having way to much fun right now with my limited starter set. Drag, laugh, say this is so cool......drag, laugh, say this is so cool.

That's the same reaction I had when I first started out. Some days I still do that. Lol.

Welcome and Congrats!!!

I was one of the lucky ones that made the switch and never looked back and was 3.5 years ago. looks like you got some good answers to your questions.

as for work....I stealth vape at work. take a smaller draw and hold breath for a few seconds and exhale slowly. Theres always the bathroom. Its not like smoking...theres not much odor, and what odor there is usually confuses people.

Soon enough you will be shopping for more toys and more part....backups are always good.

and yes, direct dripping is my favorite for flavor.

I think there are plenty of places I can do the slealth thing. Even if I get caught I don't think anyone would say anything. I was, note I said was, the only smoker in the building and I'm sure they would all support my new toys.

Another first for me today. Before I would quit for a couple of weeks at a time (with Patch) so I could work out and run. After a week or so I would start smoking again. Today, I ran 2 miles this morning and hit the gym this afternoon for an hour and have no ill effacts from low oxygen. This is absolutely awesome. Now I can have the best of both worlds.

• 3 weeks later...

Jetson,

DRAG, LAUGH, SAY THIS IS COOL. - This will be the quote of the day, I'm sure. Ha!

Yep, I've been vaping for 3 months and I do it every single time. Me and my dad will sit on Skype (both of us with our blue lights going) and talk for 3 hours straight about how freakin awesome vaping is and why on earth didn't we know about this before. He smoked for 40 years and I for 15! I didn't quite have the same reaction you did at first. I tried it, said it was stupid and put it in a drawer. Then I took Chantix (very dangerous) and when I had nothing to "smoke" after the third day, I tore the house up looking for the kit. From that day forward, I've never put it down. It's an extension of my hand. I like to order the "base" (nicotine and oil mix) then mix flavors - any type of flavor extract you can name and see what I can come up with. Yesterday I was stuck on smoking Watermelon all day which tasted exactly like a Jolly Rancher.

I will never forget the first time me and dad were sitting in public with our pipes. We had a family gathering at Cracker Barrel. After we ate, half the family left to go smoke on the porch. Instinctively, me and dad got out the e-cig (which we have cleverly created a clip using from a mechanical pencil) from our shirt pocket. I glanced over at him and pointed at the no smoking sign. With his evil little grin, he flipped off the sign and we both started cracking up hysterically. No one else found it quite so funny, but maybe you guys can!

Have fun with this new adventure. I know I am.

Jo