What Drains A Battery Faster: High Voltage Or High Amperage?

Rixter

I get roughly the same 8 watts from my variable voltage device set at 5.3v with a 3.5Ω HR atty as I do with it set at 3.5v with a 1.5Ω LR atty . The difference is that with the first combination, I’m using around 1.5 amps, while the second combination results in 2.3 amps.

So my question is: which setup drains a battery faster?

Edited by Rixter

If you are using the same power (watts) then you will be draining the battery at the same rate.When voltage goes up current goes down and vice versa.Voltage is the pressure so more voltage is a greater difference in potential .Current is the amount of flow ,like a bigger hose.

Edited by mcquinn

If you are using the same power (watts) then you will be draining the battery at the same rate.When voltage goes up current goes down and vice versa.Voltage is the pressure so more voltage is a greater difference in potential .Current is the amount of flow ,like a bigger hose.

Since my PVs' switches get warm when the current is high, am I correct in assuming that lower current is easier on the switch?

I haven't done a controlled test, but lowering the current does seem to add considerably more vaping time to my eGo-V. I've been using a 3.2Ω Vision V3 at 5.1v (1.6 amps) for a couple of days and I don't have to charge until bed time rather than early evening like I used to. Finally...an all-day 8w+ eGo and no hot switch! :thumbup:

I really don't think about stuff like that.It is what it is ,I just go with what I like and change batteries whe they go dead.A person could waste a lot of high quality mindless vaping time thinking about physics and such.