A Consumer-Driven Mod?

Kmel

I am just an e-cig user, not one who does Mods, but who keeps following all these Mods to see if I am ever going to get what I really want from an ecig and I have yet to find it. I want to know if what I want is possible

Obviously, I and everyone else loves the power we get from a pass-thru -- continual strong power so that we can consistently vape and great vapor --but I don't want to spend my life hooked to my computer to get it. My regular batteries work OK for a while but then I am sucking my brains out to get a good hit or running for the next battery and hoping I have a charged one. In an effort to correct this problem, I see people use batteries that are the size of a hotdog which I also don't want to use -- I'm female -- a screwdriver is not something I want to pull off as a fashion statement.

So I'm going to play Steve Jobs here (for free) and present an idea: An ecig with a cord like a pass-thru, but instead of plugging into a USB port, it connects to a battery pack that I can sit on a desk or a table. Nothing huge weighing pounds, something that I could fit into my purse, but a battery (or batteries) much bigger than I'd want hanging off of my face. Can that be done? Or is it just my pipe dream?

The slim batteries work well in public and the pass-thru at my computer. But it seems like there could be a middle ground product that is somewhere between being tethered to my computer and the regular little battery.

If there is, I hope that someone comes up with it, gets very rich and pays me with nothing more than a free one -- or even just comes up with it and gets very rich -- because at least I'll be able to buy what I want!

Thanks Brian! I checked the power packs -- apparently Kensington made a power pack that worked, but on their newer model they built in the cables so there's no USB port for a pass-thru. I'll have to check others. Also, I guess that I am going to have to get technical and figure out this ohms & volts thing so I don't blow myself up or burn out atomizers.

It just seems to me that there should be a way to sort of vape, visually kind of like using a portable hookah, without it getting too weird or complicated.

The only thing that I miss about smoking is the simplicity. So much of this is head -spinning to figure out if this battery works with this atomizer/cartomizer once you stray off the reservation and try to find something more to your liking. I understand the moders who love the process of creation bigger & better, but I am just trying to get the result so it becomes as easy or easier than smoking for me --even if I have to put it together myself.

Yes.

I actually quit vaping for a year (after being off cigs for 6 mo) and went back to smoking -- not for this reason alone -- but certainly in part because of it. The first cig after quitting I had was when I was at a party, my batteries were dead, my PCC was dead and I needed nicotine.

Then I moved, couldn't find all my equipment when I needed to vape and said what the heck & threw in the towel for a year. I just came back to vaping a few weeks ago. What was scary was that there was actually a sense of relief when I quit vaping, that my life no longer revolved around charging batteries, charging the PCC, having enough e liquid, cleaning cartridges, worrying whether the FDA was going to ban them anyway, etc... It really bugs me, because I really would vape than smoke -- I just don't want my life to have to revolve around it or have to become an electrical engineer to do it. I do think that there are more people like me (that are potential customers) than there are who want vaping to become a committed alternate lifestyle.

maybe the Tekkeon Tekcharge MP1860A

It is rechargeable and can power 2 USB devices

at the same time and is not much bigger than a

pack of analogs.I had one that was modded to

use 510 connection attys or cartos that would

last me ~4 days between charges.

It should run a passthru for about that long too

if you don't run anything else on it.

It puts out 5V on each port so it should be

just about right :)

HTH

yeah a simple "mobile cellphone charger" and bring your PT.

whats wrong with the size of a silverbullet or even a 1000mah ego?

if you only want to have something the size of a cig, you are pretty much out of luck, they cost a pretty penny for the crappy battery and don't last at all.

fashion is what you make it, if you think that a larger mod looks bad its only because you "think" it cant be pulled off.

any mod i take out of the house (i never leave with less than 2) people go crazy over; most of whom don't smoke.

on a side note; the screwdriver is junk.. wow i haven't heard talk of that device in ages.

if you want great vape, get something that uses a 18650 battery ( IMR 18650 more precisely ) with a 1.5ohm atty, it will blow the doors off of a 5v.

longest lasting would be the helix (in the case of tube mods) as it uses 26650.

these batteries aren't nearly the length of a hot dog, the 18650 is 65mm long or 2.55 inches and 18mm in diameter or 0.7 inches.

if you haven't as of yet, i would advise going to a vape meet to hold/use/play with the many mods you will see there.

just because you look at it doesnt mean that you will not like it once you try it. i have ate my words many a time after using a device.

Great. Thanks guys!

So a 5V battery pack, with a USB port. Then if I couple that with a 3.7V inline battery pass-thru, it should theoretically work? Or do I need a 5V battery pass-thru? The 5V pass-thru says it requires at least 2000mah input which then means that I have to get a power pack with that output, too. They are available. I've found them. That's doable.

So, once I have all this power that theoretically works together, I now have to make sure that I can do cartomizers, which also seem to have to coordinate with mah and resistance. (And "head-spinning" again.)

I just don't want to burn out atomizer/cartomizers, so I want to get this all right the first time and forget about it. I appreciate the help!

This is actually the first I've heard of the 1000V Ego, Jolly. Like I said earlier, I started vaping, quit and am coming back after a hiatus.

I'm just starting with Joye 510 stuff I had from last year and working from there to put something together that doesn't have me constantly worried about my ability to get a vape. I am going for quality of vape AND ease of use. I really like the idea of a battery pack that lasts for days, although I'd be happy with one that got me through a single day without me having to suck my brains out to get the last of it.

the 2mah also will be listed as 2amps, they actually even have wall plugs that have usb coming off them that do the same 2amps.

good for when you rather just plug into the wall.

personally i dont like cords, so i just use a mod with large mah

depending on how much you vape even a 650mah ego could last you up to 4-6hrs.

now back to the ohm question, your ohm depends on how warm you want your vape and also how much vapor.

now while your mix of pg/vg/nic all play a roll on the throat hit and vapor production, the ohm also plays a critical roll.

too high and you aren't going to get much of any vape or hit, too little and you will taste burnt wicking.

with 5v you generally want to stick between 2.5ohm to 3ohm

with 3.7v you want to stick between 1.5ohm to 2.5ohm

there are many ohm ratings, 1.5, 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.5, 2.8, 3.0 (are the target areas with some variation on ohm due to them being mass produced.

what the break down really comes to is wattage. just like your lightbulb in your house (attys are the same idea - coil that heats up)

most people like the 11ish wattage range

you can figure out what wattage a voltage and ohm will do by going to www.google.com and typing the following

voltage squared / ohm

so if i wanted to figure out how much wattage my 26650 or 18650 wattage would be with the 1.5ohm attys i use would be, heres what i would type (note: all lithium batteries other than 3v cells, charge to 4.2 volts.)

4.2 squared / 1.5 =

google will spit out the 11.76 for me (google is a fantastic calculator)

so 11.76 is close, either 18650 or 26650 will be a little lower than the 4.2v while under load (under load is the output of the battery while powering something else) usually in the area of 4.0 or 3.9v

ANYWAYS try to stick around the 11 wattage range and see how you like it. you can get the same wattage with either 5v or 3.7v

in a mod that uses 5v theres really no point in using one unless you have a load of higher ohm attys/cartos. the only thing you are doing is wasting batteries and size of a mod. however people tend to not realize that it all comes down to wattage

if you want serious battery life, you can look up my youtube under jollyriffic, about half of the stuff i have built has a video, while im assuming that they wouldnt fit your form factor you can get a general idea of mods that have huge mah or tiny mah. how the sizes differ and all that happy fun junk

I'm probably not a heavy vaper, probably average. An Ego 650mAh battery lasts me at least most of a day. I am using a 1000mAh passthrough battery at the moment, and have been vaping on it for 2 days now. Will probably have to recharge it soon, but I'll just switch to my charged 650mAh one. A plus with the Ego battery, all your 510 atty's, carto's, etc will thread right on to it.

Edit : It's bigger than the 510, but not much bigger diameter than a fountain pen.

Edited by FranzDages

Me and my girlfriend just got the ego with 650 mah batteries and one extra battery we leave on charge at all times. She is as girly girl as it gets, trust me, and she loves her ego, size and all. I'm using ego c batteries which I hear have been improved, however, they will literally last me all day, and into the next. I was blown away by the performance. Always being prepared and trying to keep my batteries fresh, I doubt I'll ever have a problem. And we're usually on the go kind of people. The ego C has worked well for our lifestyles.

Also forgot to mention that the C battery has the 5 click battery shutoff ability which I may attest my batteries longevity to. I'm sure you can order a regular ego is you're not used to tanks and get C battery, not sure if they fit but I don't see why not.

yeah a simple "mobile cellphone charger" and bring your PT.

whats wrong with the size of a silverbullet or even a 1000mah ego?

if you only want to have something the size of a cig, you are pretty much out of luck, they cost a pretty penny for the crappy battery and don't last at all.

fashion is what you make it, if you think that a larger mod looks bad its only because you "think" it cant be pulled off.

any mod i take out of the house (i never leave with less than 2) people go crazy over; most of whom don't smoke.

on a side note; the screwdriver is junk.. wow i haven't heard talk of that device in ages.

if you want great vape, get something that uses a 18650 battery ( IMR 18650 more precisely ) with a 1.5ohm atty, it will blow the doors off of a 5v.

longest lasting would be the helix (in the case of tube mods) as it uses 26650.

these batteries aren't nearly the length of a hot dog, the 18650 is 65mm long or 2.55 inches and 18mm in diameter or 0.7 inches.

if you haven't as of yet, i would advise going to a vape meet to hold/use/play with the many mods you will see there.

just because you look at it doesnt mean that you will not like it once you try it. i have ate my words many a time after using a device.

I totally agree with the hold/use/play comment. And the comment about using a low res atty rather than 5v...

But I don't agree with comment about 18650 devices. I would far sooner use an 18350/16340/14500 device and carry a single spare battery... Why? Because the device itself is smaller and the device plus spare battery weigh less than the 18650 device.

Re the Screwdriver - why is it "junk"? I still use mine (as well as other things) - I use it with low res 901 atties and it works fine...

• 3 weeks later...

quick and easy battery pack is take a 4x aa baterry box with the swithch on it, and wire it to a usb cord. 4xaa batteries that recharge with 2000mah each are cheap. I made one but gutted it for parts lol.

• 4 weeks later...

I love my eGo-T 1000mah with passthrough. I am not sure how "passthrough" it really is, I seem to have to let the battery charge for a little bit if it is dead, so I think the battery is always in line. I am a heavy vaper (off analogs for a month now, since I got my first PV the eGo-T), so I keep looking at the 2200mah batteries, and size is not a big issue for me, I'm a big guy, so I don't care, but I want it to be comfortable. The lavatube looks interesting. For now I think I am going to stay with the 1000mah with passthrough. The 2200's don't seem to have a passthrough and I love the ability to charge off of mini usb. I am running the eGo-T LR Type B atomizer and tanks and have been cutting 24mg/mL down to 6 with VG and a touch of PG. I vape more like I am smoking a pipe, and maybe someday I'll go in search of a pipe vape... I like the size of the eGo-T, but wouldn't mind a little larger, I still occassionally puff on a 6"x54 ring cigar (I don't inhale those). Comments and opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Jerry