Easiest Way To Punch A Carto

CASEACE79

Problem with a hammer and drywall screw is that if you're not careful you can get a big dent before puncturing the carto. When you try to fill the tank the o ring at the bottom can't make a seal resulting in it leaking everywhere. Not to mention it sliding to one side of the carto when hitting it with the hammer.With the saddle clamp method I can do a bunch of cartos in just a couple min.

Edited by CASEACE79

Does anyone know where to get the materials to make a tank? I can't bring myself to spend $20 on a friggin piece of plastic and 2 rubber gaskets...

$20 is spent on craftsmanship. These are Americans working hard to make a living and in turn pouring that living back into OUR economy. You're buying the tank itself generally with a set of guts. The guts are replaceable - the tank will last you. Meh.

Hate to say it... but a little hole punch tool and my little hammer makes a smaller 'dimple' than that! That makes the hole much slower... creating a larger dimple. The dimples are where you will get leaks from these tanks... too large of a dimple, you will get juice leaking from it. Especially if the hole is at the bottom like they should be. That's why a single hole w/ a 'hole punch tool' seems to work best. (for me) Still a cool tool though, don't get me wrong.

Edited by DAYVAPE

Hate to say it... but a little hole punch tool and my little hammer makes a smaller 'dimple' than that! That makes the hole much slower... creating a larger dimple. The dimples are where you will get leaks from these tanks... too large of a dimple, you will get juice leaking from it. Especially if the hole is at the bottom like they should be. That's why a single hole w/ a 'hole punch tool' seems to work best. (for me) Still a cool tool though, don't get me wrong.

Hole punch tool? You talking about like a center punch or something? I need a good effective way to punch my cartos without causing leaking issues. got a link to the tool you have?

Not sure exactly which one it is... I just know it was in a box of my random tools! I will see if I can find something close on the net for a picture. Here... it's something kinda like this... only the tip in mine just barely sticks out of the end.... I mean, maybe only even 1/4". Perfect for this task really. Oh, and when I punch a new hole, I mark where I want it and set it in/on an old rag/towel to help me stabilize it. Pretty simple really. Hope that helps.

62435-copy2.jpg

MAP tanks are made from top notch materials.

If you want a carto punch you can find them here. Made specifically to precisely punch cartos for tanks. They are a bit pricey, but like the tank it's a one time expense.

Or you can go to your local hardware store and pick up a "self-piercing tool" for around $8.00. They are meant to be used when taping into your water line on your refrige for the auto ice maker, but the saddle and punch part works good for holding the carto and punching a nice small hole.

I just got one today. Its a saddle valve and they work amazing!!! Idk what my deal was but yesterday it took me about 20 minutes to get one hole in my Boge carto with a nail and hammer, lol. It kept moving and wouldnt pierce the metal. Bout one of these today from Kibler Lumber and it took me about 1 minute to do 2 holes. These things are highly recommended!

I just got one today. Its a saddle valve and they work amazing!!! Idk what my deal was but yesterday it took me about 20 minutes to get one hole in my Boge carto with a nail and hammer, lol. It kept moving and wouldnt pierce the metal. Bout one of these today from Kibler Lumber and it took me about 1 minute to do 2 holes. These things are highly recommended!

Let us know after a couple of days use if there's any leakage or not? Thank you :)

No theres no leaking when I use the saddle valve thingy. It doesnt put a big dent in the carto which is what would cause leaking. It works great for me. Only problem Im having is I have 2 holes in my carto and it still gets low on e liquid. None of the liquid in the tank is being used and Im still having to top it off. I mean it has 2 descent sized holes in it and the juice doesnt seem to be making its way through the holes. Idk maybe im gonna try and make the holes bigger.

If it's working properly... you should see tiny air bubbles every once in a while coming out of one of the holes. If you don't... try lowering the holes inside the tank and see if that helps. Just did that with mine and it started letting air bubbles out.