Can I Get Some Experienced Advice For A First Timer?

thecosmicenergy

Hello all you vaporers, this is my first post. I have already done a little research on PVs and watched all of the "Doctor Vapor" vids on YouTube. Now that I'm excited and ready to buy one, I thought I would come here to get some expert advice on the brand, type and where I should buy from. Let me describe my smoking habits and preferences to you as that would probably help:

1. I only smoke when I drink, which is two nights a week.
  2. I usually smoke about a pack on each of those nights.
  3. My current brand of analogs is Winston Light 100's, and I think at first would like to get some juice or carts that are tobacco flavored or least something that is beer friendly and won't clash with it...i.e. "Blueberry Lung", etc.
  4. I think I prefer a matte black finish with a blue LED instead of one that mimics an analog.
  5. I plan on refilling/dripping my own atomizer/cartridge.

Also, it seems there is a general favorable consensus on Manual batteries rather than Auto Batts, right?

With some help, I hope to be vaping by this weekend. vapor.giftoast.gif

Thanks in advance,

Cosmic

First, let me welcome you to the forum! :)

I only smoke when I drink, which is two nights a week. I usually smoke about a pack on each of those nights.

That's some heavy smoking while drinking for an otherwise non smoker, story or lives right? :lol: One thing important you need to know is strength. If you're smoking a pack per session I'd suggest that you purchase e liquid that is 24mg. Sure you can buy 24mg carts, but we don't suggest it. It'll end up costing you more money than you need to spend. Purchase liquid by the bottle and drip into your cartomizer or atomizer.

My current brand of analogs is Winston Light 100's, and I think at first would like to get some juice or carts that are tobacco flavored or least something that is beer friendly and won't clash with it...i.e. "Blueberry Lung", etc.

Don't expect to find a liquid that tastes exactly like any brand of cigarette. It just isn't going to happen. Because an ecig doesn't burn anything it's almost impossible to replicate the taste of cigarettes. Though I would suggest the following flavors, USA Mix/Blend, 555 or our Traditional Tobacco (shameless plug)

I think I prefer a matte black finish with a blue LED instead of one that mimics an analog.

I plan on refilling/dripping my own atomizer/cartridge.

You already know about direct dripping and cartomizers which is great. That's half the battle. I would normally suggest a Joye 510 for a social smoker but, because you smoke so much while you drink, the Joye eGo is probably a batter bet. The reason for this is because the eGo will last upwards of 12 hours. The Joye 510 only lasts about 2 hours.

Also, it seems there is a general favorable consensus on Manual batteries rather than Auto Batts, right?

This is correct. It is ESPECIALLY true if you are going to direct drip. Auto batteries are nice but the liquid will enter the draw/air hole and destroy the battery. (Within a week or two usually) This isn't an issue with manual batteries. I'd say about 98% of us use manual batteries. And honestly, it becomes second nature, you don't even notice there is a button after a while.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by Christopher
Fixed some usual admin typos

Another vote for the Ego. :yes I've been vaping for almost 2 years and still use the Ego on a daily basis. As far as flavors go, you'll just want to try some out but Chris gave you some good recommendations and advise. :thumbsup: And Tony is right, Low Resistance attys give you good throat hit and vapor. Good luck! Let us know how it works for you.

I just realized that I forgot to mention that I didn't want one with a bulky battery; I think I would kinda feel like I was smoking on a magic marker. lol.

That being said, I really am attracted to the Volt with the PCC:

Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Volt - Pro Starter Kit - Starter Kits

Cost: $56.91 w/free shipping and after 15% discount code (ECR69). I figure that I can get 2 of the manual batts in the 78mm length (320mAh), and since one is always being charged in the case, I can easily swap it out if needed. Does that sound like a plan, or am I overlooking something?

Cheers,

Cosmic

I was of the same mindset when I started, got a 510 for that reason. Might have been ok if I got the mega battery (280-320 mah).

Bottom line, it will be a good start, and decent quality kit,- mixed reviews on the pcc...but you'll probably want something bigger down the road, and size won't matter much.

Welcome to VT!!

Both the eGo (XL) and the Volt are great starter kits. The eGo will take you beyond starter into the wide world of variety. There's always something new coming out for the eGo maniacs to try. The eGo with the Mega Dual Coil cartos are the hot ticket item at this date in time. Madvapes automatic drip system is another hot item for the eGo. (the list goes on and on).

If you get an eGo, (hghly recommended), then be sure to get the Manual type battery... also the XL batteries will handle LR better without shortening the overall life of the battery.

The VOLT is awesome too, and perhaps more Social friendly. (out on the town). I would get this in an Automatic. Just be sure to take the cartomizer OFF the battery to top off. You are mostly a weekend "smoker" and this would work well for you. It produces great vapor and is elegant in style. The Prefilled cartomizers are really handy and they'll be coming out with more and better flavors soon (if not already). You can also use any typical prefilled KR808 carto with these. They're individually wrapped and as long as they're kept in a cool dark place (lower cupboard ie) then you'll always have some on hand for the night out on the town.

Same goes for the eGo too, only in the 510 connection of course. LiquidXpress has a nice Honey Flu Cured Tobacco for instance.

Best of luck to you... and don't sweat it. If you're anything like the rest of us, you'll need a back up kit to soothe the worried mind. Getting both the eGo and the Volt is not far fetched. It's just a matter of time....

Relax and enjoy!! You're on the right track already and will do just fine.

Ooh some Cosmic Energy .. nice! Welcome to VT :)

I think either option is an excellent start for you. Honestly, I don't think there's one person here who can say they didn't aim to replicate that "real cig" feel when they first started vaping. Most of, if not all, felt exactly the same way and for all the same reasons. Again, if you opt for the Volt because it looks more like a real cigarette in size and shape then it is a good choice. The goal is to make the transition as smoothly as possible.

That being said here are some things to consider that we have discovered by initially opting for the "mini" style e-cig such as the Volt:

1. Battery life .. these do not last very long.

2. Versatility .. most of us have needed to fine tune our vaping setup and the minis offer little room for versatility; the various styles and differences in atomizers and other accessories .. there are so many to look forward to! A fine example is that most of us end up preferring the "low resistance" atomizers or cartomizers which you should not use on small batteries as a safety precaution.

3. Vaping vs Smoking .. even a small style battery like this feels awkward when held like a cigarette. While it's not at all heavy, it's still heavier than a traditional cigarette. Whether you opt for an auto or manual battery it is unlikely you will hold it the same or rest it from your lips like you may with a cigarette.

4. Comfort .. once graduating to an eGo you realize it's nowhere near as large as you think it will be and it's actually a lot more comfy than the mini style batteries to hold (remember, you are likely to hold it differently - NOT like a traditional cig).

My first purchase consisted of two different mini models (one with a PCC). I vaped them for about two weeks before I bought an eGo. That was almost a year and half ago now and I haven't looked back. The eGo is just as attractive as the mini but I can do so much more with it. I still love the eGo to this day and use it daily, all day. There isn't as much help problem solving issues with the smaller batteries because there are so many models but so few experienced users. The eGo is widely recognized and used by the vast community of vapers and you can always find help trouble shooting issues you may experience.

The Volt is very attractive and is more than likely just what you need to get away from smoking cigarettes. At the end of the day, your lungs will thank you for it ;)

I switched from an analog, to an analog shaped e-cigarette (with analogs) for a month and then to an eGo. The day the eGo arrived is the last day I smoked.

It doesn’t taste like a cigarette, and it doesn’t feel like a cigarette. You’ll have to get over cigarettes first.

Ooh some Cosmic Energy .. nice! Welcome to VT :)

Thanks for the welcome Your Hotness.

"The cosmic energy" is a Zeppelin reference from The Song Remains the Same concert movie. :guitar:

I think either option is an excellent start for you. Honestly, I don't think there's one person here who can say they didn't aim to replicate that "real cig" feel when they first started vaping. Most of, if not all, felt exactly the same way and for all the same reasons. Again, if you opt for the Volt because it looks more like a real cigarette in size and shape then it is a good choice. The goal is to make the transition as smoothly as possible.

Actually I am attracted to the Volt by the form factor because I like the look of it better than a fat batt, and am not necessarily just trying to replicate the size and feel of an analog. I also like the look of the Volt PCC, and that it will double as a PV storage case for me in my coffee table drawer, as I will usually be at home in my living room when I will be vaping.

Thanks for your input, BTW.

Cheers,

Cosmic