For All You Frugal Folks

I've been doing this for a few years. It works out to be about $1.50 per 5 gallon bucket. And for anyone who is interested, a bar of Ivory soap works just as well - in place of the Fels Naptha, I mean...which will also bring the price per bucket down a bit.

I lose control when money is involved.

(yes... but only for 35 years)

She sounds like a keeper! Good for you, 35 years is something to be proud of!

Edited by Sharon

I've been doing this for a few years. It works out to be about $1.50 per 5 gallon bucket. And for anyone who is interested, a bar of Ivory soap works just as well - in place of the Fels Naptha, I mean...which will also bring the price per bucket down a bit.

Oh yeah, forgot about the good old standard Ivory soap. Ivory is also really gentle and would be good for the delicates. Thanks for the reminder.

Lol mark! Run run! Seriously though there is no shame in saving money! I would be thrilled if any man i know knew how to make detergent or even use the darn washing machine!

My Hubby knows how to do his own laundry and he is the one who makes our soap and he learned how from his Mother

Edited by charleesage

My Hubby knows how to do his own laundry and he is the one who makes our soap and he learned how from his Mother

:unworthy: :unworthy: After 6 1-2 years marriage I still can't get Hubby to put his dirty clothes down the laundry shoot much less work the washing machine. How do you work your magic? :unworthy: :unworthy:

:unworthy: :unworthy: After 6 1-2 years marriage I still can't get Hubby to put his dirty clothes down the laundry shoot much less work the washing machine. How do you work your magic? :unworthy: :unworthy:

Ok Beans, this might seem a little cruel, but effective! Plan a trip, without the hubby, for about a month or two. Half way into your vacation, oops trip, call the board of health, identify yourself as a neighbor who wishes to remain anonymous, and report a fowl odor coming from your address. The field staff will take care of the problem and hubby will be forced to become one with the washing machine.

How you may have to replace the appliances initially, but schedule a first time training session with hubby and if he does not comply, remind him that you have a sick friend in Hawaii that may need your help for about a month or two. That will get his attention.

Good luck and make sure to get those nifty front load state of the art machines as your replacements! LOL

Ok Beans, this might seem a little cruel, but effective! Plan a trip, without the hubby, for about a month or two. Half way into your vacation, oops trip, call the board of health, identify yourself as a neighbor who wishes to remain anonymous, and report a fowl odor coming from your address. The field staff will take care of the problem and hubby will be forced to become one with the washing machine.

How you may have to replace the appliances initially, but schedule a first time training session with hubby and if he does not comply, remind him that you have a sick friend in Hawaii that may need your help for about a month or two. That will get his attention.

Good luck and make sure to get those nifty front load state of the art machines as your replacements! LOL

NO WAY, I like my little house WAY to much to do that to it. I boycotted taking out the trash once years ago to teach him......

LOL I'll never ever do that again....Yes, I eventually won...But the smell :wallbash:

Oh Sharon, you know my weaknesses! I can only dream of a front loader set. Nice Cherry Red.

Most of us guys know that if we bleach incorrectly, or mix colors (or whatever is required to get out of this job) we will be scolded. Then, we can forever say "I'm not good at this" and never try again.

I know there is a fable about this.

Love this thread!

I've been using Borax for years as a bug guard around the perimeter of my home. (works great too!) Visitors assume I'm afraid of witches, demons, vampires whatever... but I guess some of those bugs can be considered bloodsucking demons when one really sotps to think about it. I don't get many visitors, so the proof is in the pudding haha.

I wash by hand/buckets and haven't used the borax for my laundry except in the super soiled loads. Does anyone have a gentle version recipe I could borrow?

Edited by Uma

Well Uma its getting to be spring time lol.....Lots of handy solutions to all of your spring cleaning and gardening needs too.

Dawn for ferry rings

neem oil for aphids, mites and powdery mildew.........Oh don't get me started

Love this thread!

I've been using Borax for years as a bug guard around the perimeter of my home. (works great too!) Visitors assume I'm afraid of witches, demons, vampires whatever... but I guess some of those bugs can be considered bloodsucking demons when one really sotps to think about it. I don't get many visitors, so the proof is in the pudding haha.

I wash by hand/buckets and haven't used the borax for my laundry except in the super soiled loads. Does anyone have a gentle version recipe I could borrow?

Sure! You can leave the borax out. No problem. And you can use baking soda in place of the washing soda if you want.

Love this thread!

Hey Uma, I do the same thing with the Borax. I get it from the Pharmacy, a small bottle goes a long way. Sprinkle around the outside of my house, no bugs. The neighbors who don't ask me about it, just think I'm crazy. Maybe this think its some kind of Voodoo, since I'm from New Orleans. LOL

I also put a little bit in coke caps and hide them in cabinets and closets. I just have to make sure the cat and dog can't get to it.

Well Uma its getting to be spring time lol.....Lots of handy solutions to all of your spring cleaning and gardening needs too.

Dawn for ferry rings

neem oil for aphids, mites and powdery mildew.........Oh don't get me started

Beans, What are Ferry Rings?

How the hell does that happen? And Jeff, how the hell do you always manage to get this stuff?????????? question.gif

Yes that's exactly what they look like :wallbash::wallbash: :wallbash:

Sharon I got them because for rotted tree roots from like 60 years ago, the rotted wood feeds the fungus. You kill one spot and it pops up a few feet away.