6V Killing 510 Atomizers!

When I first got my Silver Bullet, I decided to put two CR123 batteries in it (Shush. Don't want to hear it.)

Killed an atomizer. In 2 days or less, I heard an unusual pop and the vapor dropped to almost nothing. I just chilled at 3.7v for a while. No issues.

Recently, I was craving high voltage again. I just ordered a 5v box (Big Kazoo) but since it will be here no time soon, decided to give it another go. It was going fine, and then my CR123s died on me. Put them in the charger, and put my 510 back onto my eGo passthrough. I am getting almost no vapor now. No pop this time, just a silent and mysterious goodbye.

My question is, am I an idiot? Am I doing something wrong? Am I incredibly unlucky? I know that lots of people go up to 6v, and I know they don't go through 2-3 atomizers a week. I plan on getting on 5v from now on, but I can't be killing atomizers left and right.

P.S.- Before anyone suggests it, I hate LR atomizers. :thumbsdown:

When I was using the BSB with RCR123As, I was getting about 2 weeks per attys. Also, from time to time I'd have a brand new atty pop on the first hit. When I started using variable voltage I dropped down to 4.9V and now attys are lasting me 4-6 weeks.

With the BSB I tried several different kids of attys (higher resistance), but the results were about the same.

Only advice I can give is to make sure you keep the attys wet.

Interesting. Maybe I'll have better luck with 5v then, as 6v is a little too hot for me anyways. I'll have to try cartomizers on 5v. I hear they're good that high although I don't care for them on 3.7v. If I like it, those will be nice and cheap.

I was thinking of high resistance, but it seemed to me that those would defeat the purpose.

And yeah, I probably need to work on getting a feel of when I need to drip more. I know you have to drip more often with higher voltages, but I'm not used to it just yet. Could help.

Thanks for the tips!

The only suggestion I can think of that hasn't been said already is (besides getting a juice box with a cisco LR 306 ha!) is to make sure you never drip or top off your atty when the atty is hot. You have to get into the habit of drip, vape, cool, repeat.

The only suggestion I can think of that hasn't been said already is (besides getting a juice box with a cisco LR 306 ha!) is to make sure you never drip or top off your atty when the atty is hot. You have to get into the habit of drip, vape, cool, repeat.

LR?! ARGH! *SHAKES FIST* :thumbsdown:

I'll keep that in mind. Haven't heard that one. Why can't you drip while the atomizer is hot? Just curious.

• 1 month later...

Emile, you can't use LR on 5 or 6V it frys the attys/cartos. LR's are GREAT on 3.7- at least 4.2 that I know. Someone can explain it I'm sure. :)

No no, I get it, I'm just curious why the OP doesn't like LR 510 atomizers. So far I've gotten awesome vapor production and smoother, more consistent hits on LR 510. Don't get me wrong, 5V with a 510 Atomizer can do a great job, but I feel like it's walking a fine line. If I run lean, the pulls are harsh and too throaty, if I run rich, the atomizer may flood. If I don't drag just right, then I get harshness and poor vapor. LR 510 at 3.7V performs like a rock star all the time. But I have to be using the right LR 510, because they are NOT created equal and the bad ones are only worthy of my trash can.

• 8 months later...

dont know if this is a dead thread or not. . . but here goes. been vaping since august 4th of 2010. started w/ the revolver elite, waste of my time (needed something more powerful). moved onto the prodigy v3 @6v. Fully charged my output is 7.4 volts, and i cant stand it when they drop to 6v.

been using LR dual coil atomizers for the last year or so with no problems whatsoever. my atomizers ring out on my meter @ 2.0 ohms, while vaping @ 7.4 volts produces hella vapor. i use all vg e liquid (DIY) with the exception of the pg that is in my flavorings. Cant disclose my formulas, some of the tastiest juice i ever vape. All 27 flavors i have created so far work outstanding w/ 2ohm dual coil cartos @ 6.5-7.4v's.

yeah, it crackles and pops while vaping, but that just lets me know im getting a good vape. Vapor is warm, THICK, and very tastey. you can see for yourself if you dont believe me, wiggitywaggz513 & happyvapes on youtube. i havent taken a vid of the ohm reading or my voltage, but if one requests i guess i will. havent posted a vid for a little while because i have nothing to review, being a DIY'er.

hope this helps someone out there make some sort of decision.

and as always HAPPY VAPING :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well you CAN'T use LR on 5-6v mods. It will fry the atty/carto instantly. to much power. You need at least a 2.5 ohm atty/carto to go to 6 volts, but 3.0 ohm or higher is prefered. LR is considered around 1.5 ohms. There is a mathmatical equation to determine what volts can be used with what resistance. I don't know what it is... I just use the below handy chart. You do not want to draw more than 2.5 amps, so stay above the brown boxes.

https://docs.google....kwUEJEZXc#gid=1

Edit.. just noticed this is an old thread... but hey, the above chart is usefull.

Edited by mjradik

• 1 month later...

Check your batteries as well. There are some 123 batteries that are rated to 3.0 and other are at 3.7. If you are stacking 2 at 3.7, that will most likely pop a standard 2.0-2.5 atty with no problem.

Been stacking 123 3.0 batts in my reo grand for several months now. When i first ordered them, i ended up with the 3.7s so i had to put in a ticket to make sure i wouldn't destroy my reo and they sent out the correct batteries. I'm super anal retentive about rotating my batteries and making sure that they are in good condition, but it is not recommended to stack 123 batts at all from what i understand.

Hope you LOVE your 5V. I was thinking about picking up a 5V mod battery for the reo to keep myself from unsafe stacking.

Xx

Just some observations. If you are using the Tenergy LiPO4s you are only vaping at ~5.2V not even close to 6V.

Here's a fresh set pushing a Joye 510.

Tenergy_3vLiPo.JPG

Another thing I've noticed is once you run an atty at a high voltage there is no going back to 3.7V.

Also note most mods like the Big Kazoo (unless they have changed the regulator) will go into thermal shutdown once you start pulling over 2A. That mod appears to have covered the assembly with a thick layer of goo (silly), hard to dissipate the heat these regs generate. They need a heat sink and some breathing room/air space.

Note from their description.

We also recommend you use at least 2.8 ohm or higher atty/carto on this unit.