Clean Your Atty With The Dooder Method

elDuderino

Are your atties gummed up? Tasting like crap? Are you looking for a way to clean your atties without chemical cleaners? Cleaning with hot water has drawbacks as well -- it kills vapor production and if you don't use distilled water you'll have scale build up on the coil which cuts vapor production and shortens its life.

Finally, no more waiting days and days for the water to dry out of your atomizer; no more chemicals and no more scale. With the Dooder Method you'll be vaping instantly after cleaning, your atty will taste like brand new, and you'll be saving money!

Here's how it works:

What you'll need:

a. Small saucepan

b. at least 2 shot glasses

c. USP Propylene Glycol

d. heat source

e. dirty attys

f. tweezers

g. paper towels

1. Blow as much gunk as you can from the BATTERY end towards the business end.

2. Place your dirty atties in a shot glass and fill with USP PG to cover the atties completely. Fill another shot glass with pg but don't put any attys in it. You'll need this pg later.

3. Fold up a paper towel, or use some cloth and place in pan. Now, place both shot glasses on the towel, in center of saucepan and fill PAN (not glasses) with water about halfway up the shot glasses.

4. Put on stove or heatsource and set to simmer.

DISCLAIMER: As with anything you read on the internet, when trying this method, please use common sense! If using a gas stove, ensure NO FLAME is rolling up the sides of the pan! PG is pretty safe but the vapor can ignite if the concentration is high enough in the room. Good ventilation is key.

* The boiling point of PG is 370.8F. What does this mean to you? It means that you will never get it to boil on your stove, but if open flame rolls up over your saucepan you could see a flash. Again, this tech is safe as long as you use common sense.

5. Boil for at least 15 mins. CAUTION: watch and make sure the water level doesnt get too low--it may crack the glass! The lid helps increase the amount of heat inside and helps keep the water level from dropping too quickly.

6. After 15 min. boil, take tweezers and grab and atty from the business end, allowing hot pg to run back into glass.

7. Now, repeatedly dip the atties into the CLEAN hot pg and allow to drain from business end down and out battery end into the glass until it comes out clear.

8. Set upside down on paper towel and allow to cool a few mins.

9. Pick atty up and blow out excess pg.

10. Vape away!

Comments or suggestions welcome!

Dude.

Edited by BirdDog
revised at request of OP for safety and clarification additions

Would this work with VG? I don't see why it shouldn't. Maybe I'll try it.

VG is known to be a good solvent; better than water for some things. It'd definitely be worth a shot psyco!

I have both vg and pg lying around here so I'll give it a go when I get a moment and post my observations.

Dude.

While this would work and possibly work better than water ,I am not too sure why that would be any different than water as far as when you use it.They both are liquids and conduct electricity.You can blow out and use an atty cleaned in water just the same.The worse thing that would happen is the current would take the easy route through the liquid and the element just won't get hot or as hot.The main thing with any cleaning is just get as much excess liquid out of the atty.Even E-liquid will build up between the cup the element is in and the adapter portion causing a short .

While this would work and possibly work better than water ,I am not too sure why that would be any different than water as far as when you use it.They both are liquids and conduct electricity.You can blow out and use an atty cleaned in water just the same.The worse thing that would happen is the current would take the easy route through the liquid and the element just won't get hot or as hot.The main thing with any cleaning is just get as much excess liquid out of the atty.Even E-liquid will build up between the cup the element is in and the adapter portion causing a short .

Have you ever tried to vape pure water? It doesnt work. And it seems to take a long time to get all the water to dry out, usually overnight.

The point here is PG seems to be the better solvent in disolving the bi-products of vaping. And even if there is left over pg after cleaning it still produces vapor.

Dude.

The point here is PG seems to be the better solvent in disolving the bi-products of vaping. And even if there is left over pg after cleaning it still produces vapor.

It is. I never thought to heat it though. I've always just soaked them in my aquarium pump 'jiggler', usually overnight.

What makes you think that all liquids are electrically conductive? I just poured some PG into a cap and dipped my ohmmeter leads into either end of the cap, and couldn't get the ohmmeter to register, even on the 20M scale. Even with water, it's not so much the water as it is the minerals in the water that is condutive. With sweat and pee it's the salt in the liquid that causes it to be conductive. Don't whizz on the electric fence, but it can rain without the generator exploding.

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with this method. After all, we all put PG or VG liquid into an atomizer and apply an electrical current to it on a daily basis. Even when we have liquid leak out of the atomizer and onto the battery connector, it doesn't fry the PV. On the stick battery PVs, we prefer manual over automatic because the liquid leaks into the battery causing the battery to go bad. I suspect that this has less to do with the fact that it's a liquid, and more to do with a chemical reaction between the PG or VG and the battery's own chemestry.

• 2 weeks later...

When my atties get really gunked up feel clogged, I just soak them overnight or sometimes longer in rubbing alcohol and shake it around every so often. That seems to do the trick.

I think you're missing the point.

A. Isopropyl Alcohol is a poison.

B. You will NOT be able to use that atty until all the alcohol is dried out.

The point to this method is that:

A. PG is not poisonous; it's the liquid youre most likely using right now, and,

B. As soon as youre done cleaning it, you can use it right away without having to wait for a poisonous solvent to dry.

• 1 month later...

While I have yet to try this method, logically it makes sense. I don't clean atomizers anymore but when I did, water was a pain to get out of the atomizer. Even once the atomizer was "dry" it took about 20 minutes before it start working well again. A PG bath would give you an instant working atomizer. After all, it was designed to heat up PG.

My ultimate suggestion though, replace your atomizer every month if affordable. Some suppliers now sell Joye 510 atomizers in bulk @ 5 bucks for 25. I have to stress, if you do clean your atomizer to take caution when using hot objects. One member regrettably already burned herself. The cost in medical bills far outweighs the cost of replacement atomizers.

• 1 month later...

@elduderino, Where did you purchase your USP PG? I found some on https://fulluvscents.com for $9.94 (includes tax and shipping) for an 8oz bottle - 99.8% pure. Estimate enough to clean 1 atty 4 times? Im just a bit confused about my flavor loss. I started with 24mg vg and had lots of flavor with standard atty, but changed to 8mg vg (same flavor) and little to no flavor. Does the nic level effect the flavor in vg liquids for the ego-t 1000mah batts and standard atties? If using this method to "clean" the atties will restore flavor, i'll invest. although if there is another reason for flavor loss...? I have recently purchased the LR atties and am using them with 16mg vg menthol. Which at the moment seems to be my goldie locks zone with flavor and "pull". All i have done with my standard atties is blow them out.

Jf, You can purchase a gallon of USP PG online from Tractor Supply Co. PG is used to treat cattle. Where I live I can go into my local Tractor Supply store and buy it. I believe it sells for $25 plus shipping online. In the store I pay $22 plus tax. Not sure how much shipping is though. I cross my heart and hope to......, you know how it goes, that it is 100% USP (United States Pharmacopoeia).thumbsup.gif