Fda Lunacy

Interesting email I got from TW. http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/news/2009/july/fda-lunacyelectronic-cigarette-lunacy.html

FDA Lunacy: Cigarette a Product We Know Will Kill 400,000 People This Year - APPROVED; Electronic Cigarette a Product that May Well Help Prevent Many of Those People from Dying: BANNED

Yesterday, the FDA held a major press conference to announce that there are traces of tobacco-specific nitrosamines in electronic cigarette cartridges and that diethylene glycol was detected in one cartridge. Based on those findings, the FDA expressed grave concern over the safety of the product - which is being used by thousands of smokers, literally hundreds of whom have testified that it is more effective than NRT in helping them to stay off cigarettes - and essentially banned the marketing of the product, even threatening criminal action against those who market or sell e-cigarettes.

At the same time that the FDA made a big hullabaloo over the finding of traces of carcinogens in electronic cigarette cartridges, the FDA hid from the public the fact that it would be nearly impossible not to have detected these carcinogens in the cartridges because the nicotine is derived from tobacco and there are residual traces of carcinogens even in nicotine replacement products.

Moreover, the FDA also hid from the public the fact that conventional cigarettes contain and result in human exposure to diethylene glycol, not to mention the fact that they also deliver extremely high exposure to more than 40 different carcinogens, just a few of which are tobacco-specific nitrosamines.

While there is a theoretical risk posed by the diethylene glycol (DEG), it is not clear how high the level of DEG is in the vapor produced by the electronic cigarette and thus the dose delivered to the user is unclear. It is also not clear whether the DEG is present in just this one cartridge or whether the problem is more widespread. Thus, there is no clear evidence that e-cigarettes pose any harm.

What is clear, however, from the FDA testing, is that electronic cigarettes are essentially confirmed as being far, far safer than conventional cigarettes.

Thus, the FDA's decision to ban the much safer electronic cigarettes while approving the deadly conventional ones, is nonsensical.

A good read and important for people to know. Not to mention the traces of DG that where found was only from one manufacture in China. Although this isn't acceptable, I have no doubt that factory is working to make sure this doesn't happen again. (It's also not clear if it was a 3rd party watering down the liquid) I also know that another major factory (one that we use for our juice) just tested their juice as of late which had NO DG in it whatsoever. I really think this is an isolated issue. (Results will be posted on the store site upon launch date)

This whole FDA deal really is a scare tactic. I mean I sat in on the conference call and they really where scraping the bottom of the barrel to find issues with the ecig

I'm also going to sticky this thread

100% agree with the whole thing being a scare tactic. FDA likes to be completely vague, no real documentation presented and what they do go on about they never bother to compare to analogs or give statistics on so called findings. Also find it really funny PM has a patent for a personal vaporizer and looks to be pushing for a ban the most. Anyone smell a monopoly plan in the works to corner the e-cig market by pushing for a ban then releasing their own model with the fda backing them and hugely inflated prices for cartridges while not allowing the sale of liquid? With everything the fda does, it pushes me more and more into thinking about how they might have let e-cigs go unchecked for a while on purpose to get knowledge of them out and see how they do in the market then to ban them, followed by then releasing their own approved version to rake in the dough on a product they know will flop or not.

It really is just perfect, throw them out on the market sit back and see what happens. If it fails oh well China, if it does well, time for us to come in.

(FYI PM=Phillip Morris for those of you on the board who don't know)

Do you have any links to the patents PM has? If not I'll track them down when I get back from work

No link atm, I check way too much info on e-cigs daily and didn't think to bookmark the site I had looked at it on :(

Ok went thru all my links and found it, surprisingly it was you Chris that gave me the link. See this; PM already has one patent close to an ecig (vaporizer)... Issued July 2008, see US PATENT# 7,400,940

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-news/24575-smokefree-innotec-fda.html for the forum I found info.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/cigarette/history2.html for a link on PM and info on stuff they had in production. BTW the patent 7400940 looks to be a renewal of a patent they had from 1998 so certainly does look like PM is pulling their old idea of a personal vaporizer out of the dusty closet now that the concept has a large enough following for it to be worth it to them. This also looks to put them as the oldest patent holder for the personal vaporizer specifically designed for smoking cessation. I really do smell a monopoly in the works.

"In 1998" Philip Morris is testing its own high-tech cigarette called Accord, which has been described as a cigarette encased in a kazoo-shaped lighter. Consumers buy a $40 kit that includes a battery charger, a puff-activated lighter that holds the cigarette, and a carton of special cigarettes. To smoke the cigarettes, a smoker sucks on the kazoolike box. A microchip senses the puff and sends a burst of heat to the cigarette. The process gives the smoker one drag and does not create ashes or smoke. An illuminated display shows the number of puffs remaining, and the batteries must be recharged after every pack. It's unclear whether smokers will find the low-smoke and -ash benefits desirable enough to justify learning an entirely new smoking ritual. Although Philip Morris doesn't make health claims about Accord, the company in 1998 told the Society of Toxicology that Accord generated 83 percent fewer toxins than a regular cigarette.

Edited by MorisatoIncorporated

I read, post, and review so much stuff even I can't keep up with it all.

But your right it does sound like they are working something up here, although to be honest I don't think it's the ecig itself the more I read into it. The Accord would make much more sense than the current ecig because it still heavily relies on traditional tobacco product. What I think COULD happen is perhaps the ecig will end up either being banned or put on the back burner, then they will release an "almost" product. Something that is safer and almost as good as the ecig. I'm sure it will get FDA approval in that product will take precedence over ecigs until later in the future. Right now the ecig is a bit like releasing a Pentium 10 when they haven't released 7,8 and 9.

But who knows and I suppose only time will tell.

• 4 months later...

Ok folks, just thought I'd point out something else that may sound a little "tinfoil hatish". Consider that the electronic cigarette with hardly any trace tobacco additives would not count as smoking on life insurance policies, while PM's proposed solution to be used in their "vaporizer" has more tobacco products added. Enough that it would still count as smoking and thus keep your premiums way up there. so we have the trifecta PM, FDA, and the insurance industry.

submitted for your consideration...... :whistle: