Keeping track of international legal trends

Christopher

Taken from Right To Vape

Please could you help us to keep track of laws that have been enforced in different countries regarding PVs.

Mexico: Banned because design is too similar to a cigarette.

Australia: Nicotine liquid banned because of poisons legislation.

New Zealand: Nicotine liquid cannot be sold commercially but can be imported for personal use.

Israel: Something about nicotine liquid not being allowed ... can anyone be more specific?

Denmark: PVs have been classed as medical devices so can't be sold there (please correct me if this is wrong, I'm not sure about details)

Belgium: ban, though not being enforced at all, both traders and users are operating as usual...

Netherlands: no ban, but no advertizing allowed except for devices without nicotene

Jordan Banned PVs also. I don't know legal details http://www.jordantimes.com/?news=13857

Iran: I heard something about a ban there because of the ingredients in eliquid. Again, I'm not sure.

Please add details if you can and add to the list. Thanks.

I really hope it doesn't end up getting banned in the United States. The above reasons really don't seem like a ligit enough reason to Ban the E Cig. politics... (and taxes I'm sure)

Christopher I did some research about PG containing pork

got this on http://www.geocities.com/nassaumasjid/halalfood.htm

7. Ingredients made from Pig Fat:

Calcium Stearate, Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate, DATEM, Diglyceride, Ethoxylated Mono- and Diglycerides, Glycerin, Glycerol Ester, Glycerol Monostearate, Hydroxylated Lecithin, Lard, Margarine, Mono- and Diglycerides, Monoglyceride, Natural Flavors (if any ingredient from pork fat), Polyglycerol Esters of Fatty Acids, Polyoxythylene Sorbitan Monostearate, Polysorbate 60, Polysorbate 65, Polysorbate 80, Propylene

Glycol Monostearate, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Softener, Sorbitan Monostearate, Tocopherol.

Is Propylene Glycol Monostearate the same as the PG used in e-cig carts?

Does anyone have any updates as to how the e-cigs are doing in the United States and/or know what direction the U.S. seems to be leaning towards? If you have any information I would love to hear about it and see your sources, if possible.

Does anyone have any updates as to how the e-cigs are doing in the United States and/or know what direction the U.S. seems to be leaning towards? If you have any information I would love to hear about it and see your sources' date=' if possible.[/quote']

Nothing is going on and nothing will happen untill the FDA does a study of Eciggs which they cant even decide if they want to classify them as medical devices

Nothing is going on and nothing will happen untill the FDA does a study of Eciggs which they cant even decide if they want to classify them as medical devices

Though, in America, the FDA does not seem to know what they are going to do yet, it still seems to me like the U.S. may be leaning in a negative direction. I only say this because there are supposedly reports of products not being able to ship and what not else. On the other hand, I have also found some of these stories to be false and inaccurate, so I guess that it is too early to tell. Does anybody have any updates that maybe we havn't heard about? I know that Canada's FDA equivalent is currently testing e-cigs and supposed to have a verdict by March.

I dont think that the US government will ban the e-cig, its just another thing they could place a sin tax on, they will probably say that since it has nicotine in it, it can be classified as tobacco and slap some taxes on it and call it a day...

It can't be classified as tobacco because it does not have any tobacco in it. It does however, have nicotine in it and can therefore be included in the "sin tax" that is supposed to be made. Man that pisses me off, "sin tax" are you kidding me!!!!! Sorry for the little rant there. What about big tobacco? Do you think the government will do anything to these products if they start to make a huge dent in their margin? Think of all the people they employ and how the U.S. is about protecting jobs, at least when lots of people are involved.

Do you think that the U.S. will allow these things to be smoked "everywhere" forever, or make people smoke them outdoors and what not only? emoticon-0176-smoke.gifkolobok_ugeek.gif

It can't be classified as tobacco because it does not have any tobacco in it. It does however, have nicotine in it and can therefore be included in the "sin tax" that is supposed to be made. Man that pisses me off, "sin tax" are you kidding me!!!!! Sorry for the little rant there. What about big tobacco? Do you think the government will do anything to these products if they start to make a huge dent in their margin? Think of all the people they employ and how the U.S. is about protecting jobs, at least when lots of people are involved.

Do you think that the U.S. will allow these things to be smoked "everywhere" forever, or make people smoke them outdoors and what not only? emoticon-0176-smoke.gifkolobok_ugeek.gif

Obviously the product has no tobacco in it, all I was saying is that they can put a sin tax on it. Also, e-cigs will probably never ever ever take a big enough dent out of relative tobacco sales. Everywhere in the world people smoke Philip Morris and RJ Reynolds product, on a scale that e-cigs can't get to. Think about it, every shanty town with a mini-mart sells tobacco products, mostly all of them carry big name brands (Camel, Marlboro); and not just in the US, this is worldwide. If the tobacco companies ever feel that e-cigs will threaten them, they'll buy them. Tobacco generates billions of dollars a year and e-cig companies would be bought and either destroyed or they would stay pretty much the same.

I know that if e-cigs do happen to make a good dent in tobacco company incomes it won't be for a while. They are still too new and most people still think that e-cigs are a gimmic and they don't work. I know that I personally have introduced and opened the eyes of tons of people in my area regarding e-cigs. I am willing to bet that in due time when e-cigs become easier and cheaper to make they will start to become sold worldwide as well. emoticon-0176-smoke.gifkolobok_ugeek.gif

• 3 months later...

In Canada, Health Canada has stated that nicotine falls within their jurisdiction and therefore the e-cig must get the proper approval before being imported or marketed in Canada. They straight up told me if it didn't have nicotine, it wasn't included in this decision. We'll see if this stance continues in the future as our sales of the zero nicotine e-cigs increases.

In the US, the court case between the FDA and Smoking Everywhere/Njoy will not be the end of it, but it will give an indication of the FDA's next action. It is unlikely the judge will attempt to classify the device, but rather fall back onto the marketing claims and procedure involved in banning a product. The real battle will be in determining the classification. I believe it is in a class of it's own as it is not a tobacco product and doesn't treat any disease, so it wouldn't be a new drug. It could take years to classify, especially now with the FDA having more than it can handle having to regulate the entire tobacco industry.

I suppose your right it doesn't treat any disease, never really thought about that. But then again it is the FDA and I'm sure if they really want to they can find a way to ban it.

I just don't understand why vitams and weight loss pills can be placed on the market when most have never passed any type of long term testing let alone been approved by the FDA

In many cases, it seems to come down to claims. For instance, a pill that fixes ED is a claim to fix a known health issue....ED. A pill that makes you "bigger, because she'll love it" is not a health claim as it doesn't claim to fix a medical condition. An undersized penis is not a medical condition....at least not in the eyes of the pharmaceutical companies. When their sales of boner pills slows, I'm sure they will create some named disorder like penile size syndrome (PSS) so they can classify it, diagnose it, and of course treat it with their FDA approved pills ;) With that said, the FDA does have more control than just marketing claims, so undoubtedly they can ban *almost* at will. That is why it is important to get as much public support as quickly as possible. Public support from both smokers and non smokers goes a long way in shaping policy.

Good point however I think the hardest issue is persuading the non smokers. Negativity has been drilled into the heads of none smokers so hard core that anything that looks like smoking is going to be looked down upon. It also doesn't help that the media industry as always given the smoker a "bad ***" look, so of course negativity is naturally attached to smokers. I can't count how many times Sean and I have been either smoking analogs (back when) or vaping in front of a restaurant and an old couple will leave the building "huddling away" from the both of us because we look like punks. Little of course do they know we are working daily to help smokers kick that habit.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the action of smoking has become a social taboo because of all the hard work of the anti groups. But I have meant many non smokers who, after seeing it in action, think it is a great idea. No smoke, very little smell, doesn't bother their eyes, doesn't make their clothes smell, doesn't cloud up the air...etc. It is just a matter of exposure to these less militant non smokers.

• 5 years later...

Our wonderful Scottish government want to ban ecigs being used anywhere within hospital grounds and therefore classed the same as cigarettes - at the moment they cannot be used indoors anywhere in Scotland.

Our wonderful Scottish government want to ban ecigs being used anywhere within hospital grounds and therefore classed the same as cigarettes - at the moment they cannot be used indoors anywhere in Scotland.[/ quote] Move to America :-)

Micheal J. Fox thinks nicotine theropy is helping his Parkinson's Disease cuz he's dumping a lotta $$$$ in research on it...

I hope he proves it does help...

Our Nation looks up to him & I'm interested in seeing the research his money is paying for...