Just Started Need Some Help

amber

Just started the e-cigs, i fill my cartlige with e juice and i was wondering what is the normal drips you are suspose to put in the filter?

I use the 510 kit from mad vapes. i just dont wanna over do it i was about a half a pack smoker a day , right now i am filling it half way up putting the filter in then adding alittle on top that last all day, i will do a couple drips when it seems to dry out. my liquid is i think a 10ml and 18mg. got it sat and the 3 flavors i have if combined from whats not in there, there would almost be one empty bottle if that. thanks

Hi amber. Welcome to the forum. I don't know the exact number of drips you put in the cartridge. I used to just fill it up until it kinda looked like a slushy on top and like you I would just add more when the flavor was getting nasty.

When I used cartridges, that's pretty much how I filled them. I guess it never mattered to me how many drops I put in there. I just filled it up and vaped away. I direct drip now and find it to be much easier than using cartridges. Chris' video (above) is great. The only thing I would add to that is that since he made that video, we now have drip tips...which make the dripping so much better.

Welcome to Vapor Talk. I can tell you filling the Cartage is a pain the pickle. But to answer your question. it should hold about 5 or 6 drops. and 1 or 2 more to top off the filter. Even with a full cartage you are only looking at about 7-12 drags. Totally not worth the time and trouble to fill, unless you have a string of them.

Your best bet is to direct drip. If you don't have a drip tip don't worry. You can do this with a Cartages you have, but order some drip tips to make the process even easier.

If you don't want to mess with Direct Dripping order some cartomizers...

Sounds like you are filling carts correctly. quite a bit of the liquid stays in the cart. I mostly direct drip, but I use about 10-15mls/week (sometimes a little more). honestly, it all depends on what works for you.

When you feel ready--experiment with dripping--I found I would end of topping off the carts frequently throughout the day. It just became easier to drip for me. (just don't drip and drive). Cartomizers are also an other thing to try when your ready. I mostly stick to dripping, but many love cartomizers--much less filling and lasts longer between fills.

Over all it sounds like you are doing ok. In the beginning you will go through a bit more juice, as you get the hang of things.

I use cartomizers and don't count drips either. I just use however much so it looks a little juicy. Anything more than that is too much, less and it dries up faster. Each cart isn't identical as far as the amount of filler and sometimes it seems packed harder, so I loosen it with a big fat embroidery needle. But counting drops I don't think is necessary....it is more about getting the thing nice and juicy but NOT that if you turn it upside down it comes out. It should be saturating the filler but not puddled. When I used to count drops some carts could take 9 drops and others could take 19, just totally depends because it also depends how dry it is when you start.

Heya Amber-

Welcome to the 510 world, its a great place to start. Here are some tips for you:

1. If you use the polyfill filler that comes with the cartridge, cut it in half.

Cutting the filler in half is going to let you add a lot more juice into the cartridge. Don’t worry, if you do it right, its not going to leak. This is basically making what people call a “Plug”, its like a slow leaking cork for your cartridge. Fill the cartridge up 85% of the way with your juice and push this sucker in there until its level with the top of the cartridge, the atomizer bridge will put it where it needs to go. I use this method all the time.

2. Seriously, the cartridge fits over the atomizer a specific way.. You cant just pop it on there.

If you look at the cartridge you will see its shaped as a rectangle, 2 long sides and 2 short sides. The atomizer bridge also has 2 long sides and 2 short sides, just match up the cartridge to fit over that bridge the same way. If you dont put the cartridge on the right way you will start melting the cartridge sides, and that is a recipe for a good cough and the “That tastes like poop” face.

3. If you are sucking juice through the end, you can pop the end off and clean it.

If you look closely at the end of the cartridge (The end that goes in your mouth) you will see a thin line, that means that end comes off. If you have some fierce fingernails you could probably use them to pry that sucker off, I just use my teeth. I hate it when you get juice in your mouth, and once that happens its a guarantee that that chamber has juice in it. You dont have to live with a juicy mouth… Keep that area clean, seriously.

4. Dont like polyfill filler? Use a mod.

There are tons of mods you can use to change the game and dial in your cartridges to your liking. You can substitute the polyfill stuff with aquarium foam (Fluval etc.) You can find it at your local pet store. This foam lasts forever, and it wicks decently. You can also do some auto-drip mods by trimming the polyurethane cartridge condom that came on your new cartridge. This can be a little tricky but with a good sharp razor or exacto knife you can make it happen. Check out our Mods section for the how-to on these if you are interested.

Or dont use any filler, just take it out and drip a few drops of your juice directly on the atomizer, this is called “Dripping”. You can typically take 4-7 drags off your e-cig using this method, and it tastes better too.

5. Want a harder draw? Use a whistle tip (flat tip) cartridge.

These whistle tips seem to restrict the airflow a little bit, which you might like. They also provide a more comfortable experience when vaping for hours on end.

If you are interested in more tips like this, you can check out eCigology.com