Misc Noob Questions

bradb

Hi All,

I just got my eGo a few days ago.

Yesterday was my first full day of use. I am/was a pack a day smoker for 20 years, and I easily cut down to 7 cigs yesterday. So I am impressed and pretty certain at this point I will slowly quit all together! I raise a finger to big tobacco!

Here are my first questions:

1) When I opened it, there was fluid at both ends of the atty, leaking out underneath the cone where the cartridge connects, even thought the carts were blanks. It looked used, but I have since read that perhaps it was primer fluid. Does this sound correct?

2) I get constant leakage underneath the cone, at the seam of the atomizer and cartridge. It is frustrating and disappointing. It seems like bad design to me, as if the cartridges do not fit tight enough. I have sometimes gone to vape and had the cartridge actually stick to my lip and pull out as I pulled the eGo away from my face. Do I have a bad one? This is with the stock carts.

3) I have so far not found a flavor I enjoy. So far I've tried:

• eGo stock flavor - I find it tastes too much like I am eating fresh tobacco, and not like I am smoking a cig. Reminds me of pipe tobacco.

• VT Butterscotch - It tasted like burnt milk, as I have seen others describe. Since I don't have blank carts, I had to drip it to try.

• VT Choco Java - It doesn't remind me of either Choco or Java. Perhaps this is more like a pipe tobacco flavor? ie: tobacco+choco+java?

Since I have read that I will never find a 'smoked cigarette' flavor, and I don't want to eat fresh tobacco all day, I am steering clear of tobacco flavors all together. I would much rather be tasting something I like normally, than something that tastes like a pipe.

I just ordered a few more flavors, in particular VT Apple Dapple, Grape Soda and Menthe, and something I found recommended elsewhere, Atomic Cinnacide. So my real question here is, are these VT flavors I just ordered, straight flavors, or tobacco+flavor?

Thanks!

Hi All,

I just got my eGo a few days ago.

Yesterday was my first full day of use. I am/was a pack a day smoker for 20 years, and I easily cut down to 7 cigs yesterday. So I am impressed and pretty certain at this point I will slowly quit all together! I raise a finger to big tobacco!

Here are my first questions:

1) When I opened it, there was fluid at both ends of the atty, leaking out underneath the cone where the cartridge connects, even thought the carts were blanks. It looked used, but I have since read that perhaps it was primer fluid. Does this sound correct?

2) I get constant leakage underneath the cone, at the seam of the atomizer and cartridge. It is frustrating and disappointing. It seems like bad design to me, as if the cartridges do not fit tight enough. I have sometimes gone to vape and had the cartridge actually stick to my lip and pull out as I pulled the eGo away from my face. Do I have a bad one? This is with the stock carts.

3) I have so far not found a flavor I enjoy. So far I've tried:

• eGo stock flavor - I find it tastes too much like I am eating fresh tobacco, and not like I am smoking a cig. Reminds me of pipe tobacco.
  • VT Butterscotch - It tasted like burnt milk, as I have seen others describe. Since I don't have blank carts, I had to drip it to try.
  • VT Choco Java - It doesn't remind me of either Choco or Java. Perhaps this is more like a pipe tobacco flavor? ie: tobacco+choco+java?

Since I have read that I will never find a 'smoked cigarette' flavor, and I don't want to eat fresh tobacco all day, I am steering clear of tobacco flavors all together. I would much rather be tasting something I like normally, than something that tastes like a pipe.

I just ordered a few more flavors, in particular VT Apple Dapple, Grape Soda and Menthe, and something I found recommended elsewhere, Atomic Cinnacide. So my real question here is, are these VT flavors I just ordered, straight flavors, or tobacco+flavor?

Thanks!

1.) Yes that is the primer fluid that comes in the atty. It is put there by the manuf to help prevent an atty blowing out when first sparked up in case the person using it forgets to put in liquid. ( Yes it happens :D )

2.) It is normal to have some leakage at the seam of the cart and atty. It is a mixture of condensation and juice.

3.) The flavors you mentioned are not tobacco flavors.

Hope that helps. Keep us updated on your progress and feel free to ask tons of questions. :)

Welcome to Vapor Talk! I'll just add that if the cart pulls out that easily, you may want to try another cart. Some do fit more snugly than others. Still, as Jeff said, condensation will build up around that area. Keep a paper towel or tissue handy and wipe that part off ever time you top it off. You may also want to check out direct dripping.

When I first started vaping, VT Tobacco was all I vaped and was the only thing that tasted... "right" to me. It took a while before anything else was good. Also, your taste buds will change as you quit smoking, so put away what you don't like and give it another try down the road.

What is direct dripping

Edited by Brian

1.) Yes that is the primer fluid that comes in the atty. It is put there by the manuf to help prevent an atty blowing out when first sparked up in case the person using it forgets to put in liquid. ( Yes it happens :D )

2.) It is normal to have some leakage at the seam of the cart and atty. It is a mixture of condensation and juice.

3.) The flavors you mentioned are not tobacco flavors.

Hope that helps. Keep us updated on your progress and feel free to ask tons of questions. :)

Thanks Jeff!

RE: Flavors: I'm glad to hear that. I have been adding the Choco Java into a somewhat used stock tobacco cart, so this has probably affected the flavor. I failed to order blank carts with my starter kit. I've ordered some cartomizers so I can try these flavors straight, and as soon as you have empty cartridges in I will grab a load of those as well.

Brad

Thanks Jeff!

RE: Flavors: I'm glad to hear that. I have been adding the Choco Java into a somewhat used stock tobacco cart, so this has probably affected the flavor. I failed to order blank carts with my starter kit. I've ordered some cartomizers so I can try these flavors straight, and as soon as you have empty cartridges in I will grab a load of those as well.

Brad

You can pull the stuffing out of the cart and run it under some hot water and blot it dry with a paper towel.

You can pull the stuffing out of the cart and run it under some hot water and blot it dry with a paper towel.

Yep, Thanks!

I actually just ran it dry. I got a hit that was a bit eh, off tasting. Went to check the cart and the stuffing was stuck to the atomizer and pulled right out. I am dripping the machiatto for now.

I'll give it a good clean soon, and fill it with one of the flavors I have after I decide which one I want to use.

While dripping I am using one of the blanks that came with the eGo (Those with the mouthpiece wider than the cone), and I notice it fits snugly. So perhaps the stock cart I was using just didn't fit right

Welcome to Vapor Talk. There is a slight learning curve that goes along with vaping, but you'll have it all figured out quickly, I'm sure. Keep asking the questions and you'll keep getting the answers.

Good luck and happy vaping!!!

Welcome to VT, Brad! Another tip to avoid leakage is to make sure your fingers don't cover the mouthpiece hole while you push it into your atty.

Cartomizers do make life easier. LiquidXpress.com has some nice prefilled ones to get you started with. I really like their Honey Flu Cured Tobacco and their Grape in the Prefilled. You can also buy bottles of liquid to top them off every hour or two as needed. The cartos are soft tips, which means you can stick a fork in the little round mouthpiece top to pull it out and then refill. Most of us have a Drip Tip to insert after filling, it makes it much easier to refill plus they're nicer to use than the end of the carto itself. I got mine from GoodProphets.com for a buck or two. If you don't have a Drip Tip, you can just reinsert the little round white topper thingie right back into the carto and vape away.

Other than liquid express, anyone else that sells pre filled cartos and hardware too? Want to get an ego for my dad and doubt he's guna fill it himself, but want to get everything in one go to save on shipping. Thanks.

Welcome ...There must be a bizillion places that sell pre-filled cartoz. It's just a matter of looking around. Try looking in the supplier section of the forum first and see if any of them have them.

I believe FreedomSmokes carries them but not sure. Can't think of any right now. Sorry. But I'm sure you'll find some.

Good luck and happy vaping.

p.s. you could just get empty ones and fill them yourself for him. It would probably make him happy.

3) I have so far not found a flavor I enjoy.

1. You will need to blow out the Primer fluid on new Atty's. The same goes for changing flavors. Remove the atty from the battery. Take the cart off. Using a paper towel at the battery end of the atty blow into the top. This will force the juice out the hole in the bottom.

2. One of two things is happening here. You may be putting too much juice in the Cart/Atty or you may be doing what I was doing at first.... When i was placing the Cart on the Atty I was placing my finger over the vent hole at the top of the cart. This was forcing a small amount of juice out the bottom of the Atty (air displacement). When placing the Cart back on the Atty don't cover the vent hole at the top.

The carts that came with my starter kit did the same thing. very poor fit and fell out all the time. I ordered some flat tips and they fit MUCH better.

3. I have not tried the VT juices, but I can tell you that http://www.backwoodsbrew.net/ has some AWESOME flavors. Waffle is my current favorite. I only really like the tobacco flavors when drinking. :beer:

Hope this helps.

GoodProphets sells the Prefilled MEGA eGo Cartomizers in the RY4 mix. It's not too bad.

Oh Dear, I hope I didn't leave the impression that LX has only 2 good flavors to buy. That's not what I meant or intended to say at all. They have quite a few nice flavors to choose from! It's just that the Honey Flu Cured Tobacco is a definite intense flavor that has a strong tobacco base that will satisfy the most strongest craves for an anlaog... and the Grape flavor I mentioned is new to me and I really like it and being fresh on my mind, I included it in my ramblings. So, there you have it in clarity this time lol. Sorry about that!

Edited by Uma

I use cartomizers and it took me a LONG time to find a flavor I liked. I still kept all the ones I didn't like and my husband likes a lot of the flavors. He vapes a lot of different flavors but I vape ONE. Took me a long long time to find one and I found it on accident....I didn't even think I would like it but it was sent as a freebie with an order, and heck, for free I'll try anything. I had a VERY hard time in the beginning resigning myself to the fact that I would NOT get one EVER that actually tasted like a non menthol cigarette. So I decided to just try flavors that I like in real life, like sour apple, watermelon, cherry, peach, etc. For awhile I was into the fruits, and I REALLY HATED the RY4, butterscotch, caramel and all the super sweet flavors, yuck, just not my thing, they all tasted and smelled like burnt sugar to me, especially the caramel flavor. So one day I got a cappuccino cartomizer with an order and I REALLY loved it. Then I designed a logo for a eliquid vendor and he mixed me up some cappuccino and a couple other flavors as "payment"....his cappucino was SUPER strong and now I mix a little of that with the normal cappuccino liquid I buy and it is PERFECT for me. In the course of trying all these flavors we have accumulated easily 1000+ carts...it is crazy how many we have. I never threw them away because I figured they had to be refillable. So I searched around and found the youtube vids about washing them and now I have a whole system. In nearly a year we have tossed MAYBE 10 carts that have died. They really for the most part last a VERY long time. I have about 60 in constant rotation just for me. I refill them about 5 times (same flavor) before I boil them, about 10 times and they get the boil several times/soak in everclear/boil several more times treatment. The everclear soak REALLY does make a HUGE difference. Totally eliminates ALL odors and flavor from the fiber filler and totally cleans them. It is amazing to me the amount of people that throw away a prefilled cart after using it just once. I have ones that have been refilled dozens of times and one that I am actually keeping a record on...I have it marked with a sharpie marker, it has been refilled 50 times, boiled 10 times and soaked in everclear 5 times and it is still going strong. I read somewhere that one guy has one that he has refilled over 300 times and stopped counting. I am a VERY heavy vapor, and can easily go through 2-3 brand new carts in a day. So refilling/cleaning/soaking is saving me a TON of money PLUS then I get a flavor I like because I mixed it. I haven't gotten into totally mixing my own flavors from scratch only because I really have no need to. I love the flavor I am using and my husband likes all the ones he is using. I guess it would save money but at this point we are saving so much compared to smoking I see no need. Anyway, really play around with the flavors....there are just SO many out there. I do not like the ones that have the tobacco type undertones to them either. Even try ones you don't think you would like. I know there are a lot of e liquid places that even if they don't list it, if you write them they will send you like just a TINY bit of several different flavors so you can try them to figure out what you like. I ALWAYS emailed ppl at the beginning and asked for help, most people are VERY nice. I wrote a couple and just said I was having a really hard time trying to find a flavor I liked and was there any way to get a tiny amount of a bunch. I had several VERY nice vendors who helped me and I finally found something I LOVE. So don't be afraid to write people and ask. Most of them vape themselves and they totally understand and they WANT to help you. AND you will remember those people and buy future supplies from them!

Me again!

Day four:

Only one analog so far today! ... I have been averaging four a day. One when I awaken, and three chained before bed.

I am getting used to the flavors I have. Wouldnt say I like them, but I also don't hate them. Still hoping when I receive my new flavors I will find one that suits me. (I must have 10 flavors on order at various places, just waiting with anticipation to receive them!)

2. One of two things is happening here. You may be putting too much juice in the Cart/Atty or you may be doing what I was doing at first.... When i was placing the Cart on the Atty I was placing my finger over the vent hole at the top of the cart. This was forcing a small amount of juice out the bottom of the Atty (air displacement). When placing the Cart back on the Atty don't cover the vent hole at the top.

The carts that came with my starter kit did the same thing. very poor fit and fell out all the time. I ordered some flat tips and they fit MUCH better.

To be honest, when I first opened the package I found the the primer had leaked out like this as well, and it happens when I just use a stock cartridge, which of course shouldnt be overfilled. Also, I hold the sides of the cart, not pushing on the end. And my leakage is at the cart/atty seam, not the atty/battery seam. So I think it is just the fit of these cartridges. Wont know until I receive some new ones.

Thanks again all!