Dear Nana

Awwww!!! How adorable.

Are the dogs in the pool a black and a blue or two blacks? Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the two colors in pictures. Our blue can even look brown in pictures sometimes. And sometimes the blacks can look blue.

Those are some big a** dogs. Just how tall do danes get?

Knew a guy who had one that stood about 6' on its hind legs.

Depends on the dog. The one in my picture on here is a female and she is 34 inches at the shoulder. We have one who is over 37 inches tall at the shoulder. He stands well over 6 foot tall on his hind legs. But he's more an exception than average. The Great Dane standard says 28, preferably 30 inches at the shoulder for a female and 30, preferably 32 inches for a male. Ours are taller than that, but you don't often find one as tall as the one male we have. We love his size, but with that much size comes the chance of a shorter life span, too.

I recently lost my little longtime best friend. It still hurts... and I still have to shrug or lighten my way out of talking about it or I'm bawling like mad again. You might remember her, I had her photo for my Avatar for many many months this past year. (white dog) She passed away from old age the day before Thanksgiving. Anyway, I just ran across a short story on a website sharing how they had to put their old dog to sleep and I borrowed this part to help me get through. It possibly might help others who have had or are going to have to deal with it too. Here goes, out of the mouths of babes: "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The six-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long"

Thanks for your kind thoughts, BirdDog. You're very sweet too, like Nana. :hug:

I didn't mean to hijack the thread guys... sorry. I should have shown more restraint and not responded at this time in my life, when Nana brought up the part about "shortening the life of the dog". I kinda just fell apart a little. She was only 20 lbs soaking wet, but her heart was the size of a Great Dane. That said, Let's forget I said anything and just move this forward... I appreciate the hugs, boy oh boy do they help!!! But, this isn't the place, and that's MY fault it started, and it's my job to put a stop to it so we can go back to the joy of puppys and life itself. All is well. Let's go

Edited by Uma

Birddog sorry to hear about that.

Nana your right they're black and blue. The spotted one is my aunts Dane

Uma sorry for your loss too and don't worry there was no point to the thread just showing off lol. Theyre really great dogs my dad has those too and his neighbor got a rottweiler at the same time. So all three kinda grew up together and watching fight and play is just awesome. Not real fighting but a lot of playful growling and running. Bt the alpha male is still half they're size in a 12 year old sheltie. ( mini lassie) with bad teeth

Edited by DKStew

Uma, don't you worry one little bit. You didn't hijack anything. This was a thread about dogs and that's what you talked about. And I'm sure my comment about the life span did hit you hard right now because your loss is so new. I know how awful it is to lose a pet (I've lost several) and it can help to talk about it. So you talk away if you need to and we'll be here with the hugs. :hug:

DKStew...Watching big dogs play is awesome. I love to just watch them run, too. It never gets old. My daughter has an 8 year old sheltie.

a few more

Oh yeah...no doubt about that being a blue in those pictures! Beautiful! We're in the process of switching all of our files over from our old computer to a new one and if that ever gets done, I'll have to post some pictures of our dogs. We don't have great pictures because they don't seem to want to hold still to get a good shot, but we have lots and lots of goofy shots of them.

Uma--you are talking to dog (and cat) lovers--we all know the loss, and we all know how much our animals mean to us. Losing an animal is never easy. The only time I saw my husband cry was when we had to put our last dog down. My mastiff will gladly send you some sloppy kisses !!!

DK--Those last pics are great !!! I love the couch--looks about right.

My son was so proud when he was finally taller than the dog.....post-1300-0-77878200-1292341064_thumb.jp

post-1300-0-77878200-1292341064_thumb.jp