Bolo - Tangerine

Brian

Some of you may recall many months ago I made some Tangerine eliquid and asked the question here why it was separating.  Someone (I think it was ROOR) pointed out that the TPA Tangerine was oil based.  So, I never got to vape it.  Anyhow, many months later, that bottle of eliquid was still on my shelf, and still separated.  Today I rounded up all my bottles that needed cleaned and went to cleaning them.  When I popped the top of the Tangerine it smelled soooo GOOOOOOD!  I want Tangerine eliquid!!!

So, I'm issuing a BOLO (Be On the Look Out) for Tangerine flavoring (non oil based).  I've never seen it anywhere.  If anyone runs across some in your shopping, please let me know.

:help:

Brian...what kind of tangerine flavoring were you using?   I just made some with Lorann's and it's hasn't separated yet.  But it does taste pretty good.icecream.gif

Loranns has Tangerine?  On the Loranns site, or at another supplier?  I'll have to look - man, I'm getting excited now!  I'll have to look for it.

What I have is PA, and it's clearly says on the site that it's oil based, but I didn't notice that when I got it.  I swear, the stuff smells so good it makes my mouth water.  Hope it vapes as good too.  :)

Just checked out the Loranns and it says:

"Insoluble in water."

Did you do anything special, or just regular mix?

With the PA, after shaking it up, it only took a few minutes to separate.

Brian...I may have lead you wrong. The tangerine is an "oil" didn't notice it when I bought it. And yes after a week now it has separated some, but I shook it up and I'll see how long before it does it again. I just know that it tastes great and smells even better.

Sorry wallbash.gif

I don't know if this will help at all, but on the Tasty Vapor site they say this about the Lorann's cinnamon oil that they sell...

"This is an essential oil. It is recommended that if you use this product in your e-liquids, that it be accompanied by a few drops of ethyl alcohol to aid in breaking down the oils for easier incorporation. We don't want you clogging your atomizers!"

Now whether or not that would stop the separation, I have no idea. Just thought I'd share the info.

• 1 month later...

I think that the reason you see so many warnings out there about not using oil based flavorings is to keep newbie DIYers from trashing every atty they own before they realize they are in over their heads. ;)

That statement was by no means meant to be derogatory, but a simple statement of fact.

At one time we were all newbie DIYers, and I'm sure most of us can remember some colossal failures in those early stages.

The fact is, with proper technique, using oil based flavorings are actually quite effective.

But you see posts all the time in DIY forums of folks talking about flavoring an ejuice at 25, 30, and even 40% flavorings. Doing this with an oil based flavoring is going to send you straight to your preferred atomizer supplier for a rush order of replacements. :crybaby:

Since a lot of beginning DIYers aren't even aware of the difference, it's easy to see why it quickly became common to say, don't use oils, they are bad. Many helpless atomizers were sacrificed as the price of the lack of knowledge, understanding, and technique. And oil based flavoring became the scape goat for those poor departed atomizers.

The trick in using oil based flavorings is in using much lower concentrations, typically starting at 1%, (some oils less, some oils more), and pre-mixing the oils with Food grade alcohol or PGA to help with dispersal.

And while it may be true that long term use of oils will slowly degrade the performance of your atomizer, if you have a good effective cleaning method/routine, even this can be kept to a minimum.

And yes, you may have to give them a good shake if they have been sitting for a while, but you already do that with ALL of your ejuice, right? :thumbup:

Brian - I'll post a basic tangerine recipe over in the DIY Recipes thread for you to try with that tangerine oil!

Ha! I will now stare boldly in the face of oil based flavoring! LOL! I've heard of using PGA before, just haven't gotten around to trying it. I'm going to have to get some though because that tangerine smell makes my mouth water. :) Thanks for that recipe. :thumbsup: