First Order, Is This All I Need? Also, Pg Vs Vg?

mrar

Hey, so I've been a regular smoker for 4 years now and I'm looking for a healthier option without having to give up my beloved nicotine. Also, smoking inside!

Now one of the things is, I want to SAVE money by doing this. I've been rolling my own cigarettes since I started smoking which makes it much cheaper than packs. Currently I spend ~$10/week on tobacco, filters, and paper. The last thing I want is to end up spending more on e-cigs than on tobacco. However, the look is also important and I DO want something that looks like a cigarette so I'm leaning heavily towards the joye 510/520 over the joye ego. I'm leaning towards jumping right into direct dripping at home and cartomizers for driving/going out. I want a PCC kit for going out so my battery doesn't die on me. Currently I'm looking at buying (from wordup):

PCC joye 520 kit:

2 mega batteries

1 atomizer

5 empty carts

1 drip tip

15 mLs eliquid

And:

1 pack of 5 cartomizers (wordup has new "soft tip" cartomizers, anyone know what the deal is with that?) with filler needle

1 extra mega atomizer

Does that sound good for now? Somewhere around here I read that you should buy 5 atomizers in your first order, is that really necessary? How long does an atomizer generally last? At $10/atomizer I really don't want to spring that much!

I'm also looking into making my own e-juice. I love science and love making things like this, so I'm really looking forward to it. So I'm going to get a 5 mL bottle of nic nicotine as well.

Any opinions on VG versus PG? I'm leaning towards VG because it'll be easier to find in stores, and there's less potential for allergic reaction.

Edited by Brian
Moderator edit

This looks good. I would recommend getting some eliquid to get you going first and look into DIY down the road. We have a DIY section of the forum that will give you lots of info.

I think I read that only about 3% of the population is allergic to PG. Many have settled on a mix of PG/VG. I like 80/20 mix of PG/VG.

Attomizers can last a week, month or longer. It can be hit and miss. Generally, I'd say they last about 2-4 weeks. However, many have had attys last for months.

I'm not sure what cartomizers you're looking at, the the soft caps have a rubber like cap that is easily popped out and you can drip eliquid into it. No need for a syringe.

Edited by Brian

Welcome!

I know you're going for that 'cigarette' look, but I will tell ya first hand, you're not going to be happy with that battery life, unless you want to have 3-4 batteries sitting around being charged all the time. I would say I vape moderately, and I can get the ego battery to last me all day. That being said, the PCC will help you considerably with your charging needs. I have only used a 510, not the 520, so maybe there is a significant difference in battery life, and I'm sure someone will be able to help with that question.

I would suggest that you get at least two atomizers. I have atomizers that are still kicking from when I started vaping a couple months ago, and I also have atomizers that have popped after a few days use. It's always good to have spares. As for the cartos, mine will last me 3-5 days, so you can conservatively bank on a pack of 5 lasting a month, give or take a few days. Find the BOGE brand soft tip cartos, they work great, and are easy to fill without a syringe, even on the go. If I remember correctly though, Low Res cartos do not work well on 510 kits, so make sure you get regular resistance. I have purchased regular resistance cartos at ivape and vaporkings, and they work great.

One last note, make sure to save some room in your budget for trying lots of juices. When I started, I thought I was going to be vaping strictly tobacco juices and invested in several bottles of tobacco flavored juices. They now are sitting in my closet. There are many vendors that offer sample packs to see what best works for you. TTTeLiquids, Freedom Smoke USA, Velvet Vapors and many others have really reasonable sample packs. It is hard to give an estimate on how much juice you will go through, but I was a pack a day smoker for around 12 years and I go through 10-15 mil a week. Make sure you keep stocked up.

I haven't tried making my own juice yet, but it does seem to be quite economical. I've tried PG, VG, and all sorts of blends. VG is too thick most of the time to work in cartos, so keep that in mind. I prefer PG based liquids, it just works for me. I only really enjoy the VG juices I've tried at a higher voltage, as it seems to pop the flavor a bit more. Search the forum, there is lots of great info here. I'd be lost if it weren't for all the great help on this forum!

Feel free to ask any other questions, watch lots of videos, and best of luck!

Hey, so I've been a regular smoker for 4 years now and I'm looking for a healthier option without having to give up my beloved nicotine.  Also, smoking inside!

Now one of the things is, I want to SAVE money by doing this.  I've been rolling my own cigarettes since I started smoking which makes it much cheaper than packs.  Currently I spend ~$10/week on tobacco, filters, and paper.  The last thing I want is to end up spending more on e-cigs than on tobacco.  However, the look is also important and I DO want something that looks like a cigarette so I'm leaning heavily towards the joye 510/520 over the joye ego.  I'm leaning towards jumping right into direct dripping at home and cartomizers for driving/going out.  I want a PCC kit for going out so my battery doesn't die on me.  Currently I'm looking at buying (from wordup):

PCC joye 520 kit:

2 mega batteries

1 atomizer

5 empty carts

1 drip tip

15 mLs eliquid

And:

1 pack of 5 cartomizers (wordup has new "soft tip" cartomizers, anyone know what the deal is with that?) with filler needle

1 extra mega atomizer

Does that sound good for now?  Somewhere around here I read that you should buy 5 atomizers in your first order, is that really necessary?  How long does an atomizer generally last?  At $10/atomizer I really don't want to spring that much!

I'm also looking into making my own e-juice.  I love science and love making things like this, so I'm really looking forward to it.  So I'm going to get a 5 mL bottle of nic nicotine as well.

Any opinions on VG versus PG?  I'm leaning towards VG because it'll be easier to find in stores, and there's less potential for allergic reaction.

Well, I switched form analog's to the ecig. Its a smart move. The first week is going to be hard, and its going to be tough to switch. One thing to keep in mind, when your craving nicotine. Grab your ecig. Not a cigarette. In due time you will have no desire to return. Keep your throat moist. Drink fluids.

Vg vs Pg is your call. I like them both. I started with pg and now have found some really good vg. (mint chocolate chip from vapor galaxy) Pg dont have much vapor but vg does. I think the vg also has better taste. I went nuts and spent alot of money trying alot of products. I got about 30 bottles of all different flavors. I havent found a company that I would like to order from that makes 80/20 vg/pg mix. Havent researched it enough.

As far as atomizers go, you will need extra. I dont want to bash any liquid from any place. But I dropped some in a few atomizers in mine and the atomizer quit working. They dont last forever, but they dont have a long life. you can expect anywhere from a day to a couple months. They are expensive. Mine range form 8-10 dollars each. But I like my joye ego.

I also went to a drip tip over cartridges. The carts really didnt do it for me. With the filling dropping on the atomizer and burning. I dont know much about yours. Some draw backs with the drip tips are you do get a drop or two in your mouth when drawing hard. comes with the territory.

Hope my ramble helps. Good luck.

Regards,

Justin

Schlitz: I'm definitely not going to be buying any "tobacco" flavored liquids, that's for sure! The only thing I want tobacco-flavored is tobacco. And I'm already really picky about what kind of tobacco I smoke, I really can't imagine finding a flavor that tastes like my preferred blend. Thanks for the advice on the places for samples though, I'll certainly look into it.

And on the subject of liquid, how do the strengths compare to real cigarettes? Is there any sort of comparison to make? I just have no idea what strength I should get. I can be quite sensitive to tobacco, I know back when I used snus I had to be careful not to leave it in for too long or I'd get wayyyy light-headed.

Schlitz: I'm definitely not going to be buying any "tobacco" flavored liquids, that's for sure! The only thing I want tobacco-flavored is tobacco. And I'm already really picky about what kind of tobacco I smoke, I really can't imagine finding a flavor that tastes like my preferred blend. Thanks for the advice on the places for samples though, I'll certainly look into it.

And on the subject of liquid, how do the strengths compare to real cigarettes? Is there any sort of comparison to make? I just have no idea what strength I should get. I can be quite sensitive to tobacco, I know back when I used snus I had to be careful not to leave it in for too long or I'd get wayyyy light-headed.

I thought I was going to be wanting to smoke cigarettes bad at first, so I ordered up 24mg. This is also hard to compare to smoking cigarettes. I used to smoke camel lights, and I started off with 24mg, and found it to be too much to vape all day. I have tried everything from 6mg to 24mg, and I usually fall around 12-18mg...sometimes lower, and sometimes higher. I usually try to keep a 24mg with me when I go out to a show or bar (i.e. having a beer or two) just in case I get an urge. If you're planning on getting DIY supplies, you could always just start with 24mg and cut it if it's too much. I don't have that kind of ambition, so I usually just keep a variety of strengths in hand :)

Yeah I'll probably go with 24mg and cut it down to what I need.

I was looking at the cartomizers sold by wordup, they're here. They say "soft tip" but also have an option to buy a "soft tip filler needle" so I'm rather unsure. Should I look at another supplier for the BOGE cartomizers?

Hey, so I've been a regular smoker for 4 years now and I'm looking for a healthier option without having to give up my beloved nicotine. Also, smoking inside!

Now one of the things is, I want to SAVE money by doing this. I've been rolling my own cigarettes since I started smoking which makes it much cheaper than packs. Currently I spend ~$10/week on tobacco, filters, and paper. The last thing I want is to end up spending more on e-cigs than on tobacco. However, the look is also important and I DO want something that looks like a cigarette so I'm leaning heavily towards the joye 510/520 over the joye ego. I'm leaning towards jumping right into direct dripping at home and cartomizers for driving/going out. I want a PCC kit for going out so my battery doesn't die on me. Currently I'm looking at buying (from wordup):

PCC joye 520 kit:

2 mega batteries

1 atomizer

5 empty carts

1 drip tip

15 mLs eliquid

And:

1 extra mega atomizer

Does that sound good for now? Somewhere around here I read that you should buy 5 atomizers in your first order, is that really necessary? How long does an atomizer generally last? At $10/atomizer I really don't want to spring that much!

I'm also looking into making my own e-juice. I love science and love making things like this, so I'm really looking forward to it. So I'm going to get a 5 mL bottle of nic nicotine as well.

Any opinions on VG versus PG? I'm leaning towards VG because it'll be easier to find in stores, and there's less potential for allergic reaction.

That is the kit that got me off analogs. I just ordered some of those cartos(soft tips) The Joye 510 cartos are very good,I have some of those too. The 520 battery does last alot longer than the 510 and with the PCC I was never without until hubby picked up one of my batteries and extra atty then I had to bump up to eGo. He is perfectly happy with 520 and never has a problem.I'm starting to lean towards cartos right now although at night while just sitting around I drip. I believe a drip tip comes with that kit. Do yourself a favor and ask Jeffery for a sample of the White Zinfandel juice. He offers 2 sizes of samplers you pick the flavors. Good luck and welcome to VT. You have made some very good choices.

I'm not sure what kind of cartos Wordup is selling. I had heard they are the SLB with the gold thread, but not sure. You may want to shoot them an email or call them.

These are the Boge ones (silver colored thread).

VT Store

I smoked 1 1/2 packs a day and now vape 24mg. I use about 15-20 ml of eliquid a week.

First of all some of the things you're looking for you may be able to find here in the Vapor Talk Store.

Now one of the things is, I want to SAVE money by doing this. I've been rolling my own cigarettes since I started smoking which makes it much cheaper than packs. Currently I spend ~$10/week on tobacco, filters, and paper. The last thing I want is to end up spending more on e-cigs than on tobacco.

If you're like most of us you may very well end up vaping more than you smoke. However, you will enjoy it and it's guilt free!

However, the look is also important and I DO want something that looks like a cigarette so I'm leaning heavily towards the joye 510/520 over the joye ego.

E-cigs that look like real cigs do not feel like real cigs. For instance, because it's quite a bit heavier you will likely not hold it the same way and/or if you are apt to dangle your cigarette from your lips or hold it with/between your lips while your hands are busy. Take this into consideration. 510's are said to be excellent units but they do not have the battery life that even a mere 650mAh eGo battery does. An eGo is larger, but not by as much as they appear to be in pictures online. The battery life alleviates the need for a PCC and trust me, an eGo takes up much less room in your pocket/bag. (get a button protector ro $2 or $3 bucks).

I'm leaning towards jumping right into direct dripping at home and cartomizers for driving/going out.

I love DD (direct dripping)! Many of us do. Schlitz is right - it would be an excellent idea to pick another atomizer or two to start with, but no I don't see why you'd need 5 from the get go. The VT Store's kits come with 2 attys. Alternating attys for flavor testing helps when tasting new juices for the first time. I use an atty for fruity flavors and another for creamy flavors, etc.

1 extra mega atomizer

If I'm correct, the 510 mega atomizers require mega cartridges as well. Just something to look into if you're leaning toward using cartridges. Or you could DD with it, though I don't see why you'd need a mega for DD'ing.

At $10/atomizer I really don't want to spring that much!

You'll find better prices by shopping around. That's pretty steep even for a standard 510.

I agree with Brian. There's not much you can do with just a bottle of nic anyway. Might be best to get yourself setup, discover then tweak what you do/don't like. It will give you better insight in the (not so distant) future as to where to begin. Vaping flavors is not like eating food, as I thought it would. I don't like what I thought I would love and vice versa, oft times.

VG alone is very thick .. like honey. It takes a lot of heat to get warm enough to vape. VG is best in a lr (low resistance) atomizer. I have heard that lr is not recommended for 510/520.

I really think that the kit you are looking at is a great one to start with. I still have my ones that look like cigs and at certain times, I really need that feel.

I do believe that you will probably want to go to an Ego in the near future, but for me I could not have done it with that first.

All of this is just my opinion.

I think you really need to try the juices at the VT store they are simply the best I have ever had.

Welcome and I think you will really enjoy being around here. Glad to have ya.

I really think that the kit you are looking at is a great one to start with.

I do believe that you will probably want to go to an Ego in the near future, but for me I could not have done it with that first.

These statements are exactly what I was going to say. Start with that kit if you want... then go ahead and get that eGo once you get sick of charging batteries all the time. It's just something that some people end up realizing for themselves. :thumbsup:

Also, smoking inside!

This is the best part of using an electronic cigarette, especially now that it is cold (well, at least it is in MI). Oh, and that there are so many flavors to try. And that some of those flavors make it so I don't feel the need to consume as much alcohol. And, of course, my health is much better.

Welcome aboard, mrar! Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you when your stuff arrives!

I'm not sure what kind of cartos Wordup is selling. I had heard they are the SLB with the gold thread, but not sure. You may want to shoot them an email or call them.

These are the Boge ones (silver colored thread).

VT Store

I smoked 1 1/2 packs a day and now vape 24mg. I use about 15-20 ml of eliquid a week.

The Joye 510s are silver, the soft tops are gold, and I don't know what the wordup soft tops are, they are new. I ordered those this time so I'll let everyone know. The 510 Joyes are excellent.

Edited by mastiffmom

Welcome to Vapor Talk. You've gotten some great advice and I have to agree with them. The 510 is a great place to start but don't forget to check out the Ego before you get too deep into kits. If you're like most of us you will be wanting to vape more and charge less and that's where the ego has the edge even with a pcc.

Also I noticed that no one has mentioned the KR808D-1. This is very similar to the 510 except that it uses cartos. They come from short to long batteries and also have charging case for on the go.

Vapor Talk has the Revolution kit and it's very sexy looking. Also Vapor4Life has several kits in different sizes and colors and you can also get them with the charging case and they have many flavors of cartos.

So do a little more research before you jump, but I think you'll find what you're looking for.

Good luck and happy vaping.thumbup.gif

snubber, the kits at vapor4life sure are pretty, but is there any reason to go with those over the 510? I mean, I can get cartomizers for the 510 so what's the deal with these? They also seem more expensive. Do they just have a sexier PCC and more color options?

Well, I guess it doesn't matters so much anymore, I just ordered my 520 PCC kid from wordup, a 5 pack of cartomizers and a bunch of flavors from vaportalk.

Thanks for your help, I can't wait for my packages to arrive!