Hmmmm, What A Mess.....

Okay, more noob questions. Yippee, right? LOL. Had my eGo since Monday. I'm loving the whole transition process, BUT....I went to dripping because with my bad timing in ordering new stuff - new cartomizers, more liquids, etc., my only option right now is to drip until my stuff gets here, probably today. So here's my issue - I have a drip tip on one, and just an empty cart mouthpiece on the other (so of course I have to pull that out, which means a BIG hole there to drip into, and I'm a spaz, but not THAT much of a spaz...), and I'm getting leakage every single time I drip. I'm either finding it at the connection between the atomizer and the battery, or finding it in a little puddle when I pick up the whole thing (I keep them standing upright on my monitor stand when I'm working). It's happening with both of them, not just one or the other. If this is par for the course when dripping I'll quit worrying about it, but seems like A: A mess and I get the stuff on my hands, ick, or B: TWO defective units??? - I have them screwed firmly together, but not TIGHTLY together, and C: That's a lot of my yummy Mentha juice not going where I want it to go....

Thoughts? :unsure:

Edited by fino4beat

P.S. - I'm only adding 3 drops at a time - once in a while 4 because my Mentha is 0 nic so right now I'm mixing 1 drop of regular ol' tobacco flavored juice but with nic and then 2 drops of Mentha, and now and then 3. 'Cause it tastes good, lol. But I don't think I'm flooding it - I don't hear that "gurgly bong" sound.... :innocent:

Dripping does take some practice. 2-3 drops should get you about 5-7 hits. When I first started dripping, I got leaks all the time, but now I rarely get them. Just takes some time to know when to drip. Are you using regular or LR attomizers? LR attys are more prone to leakage since they get hotter. Likewise, if you vape heavily on a regular atty and let it get very hot, it's more prone to leak. So, if you take several hits in a row (hot boxing it), you're more likely to get a leak. You may want to practice without the cone on the eGo so you know when you're getting leak.

First thing I would do is blow out the juice you have in it now so you know where you're starting from. Hold a paper towel over the battery end of the atty and blow through the open end. Wipe off the battery end real good. Also, since you've had leaks, use a paper towel to clean out the battery also. Put the atty back on... to prime it the first time I'd use 5 drops. You'll probably only get a couple of hits and then add 2-3 more drops. Should be good to go.

Dripping does take some practice. 2-3 drops should get you about 5-7 hits.  When I first started dripping, I got leaks all the time, but now I rarely get them.  Just takes some time to know when to drip.  Are you using regular or LR attomizers?  LR attys are more prone to leakage since they get hotter.  Likewise, if you vape heavily on a regular atty and let it get very hot, it's more prone to leak.  So, if you take several hits in a row (hot boxing it), you're more likely to get a leak.  You may want to practice without the cone on the eGo so you know when you're getting leak.  

First thing I would do is blow out the juice you have in it now so you know where you're starting from.  Hold a paper towel over the battery end of the atty and blow through the open end.  Wipe off the battery end real good.  Also, since you've had leaks, use a paper towel to clean out the battery also.  Put the atty back on... to prime it the first time I'd use 5 drops.  You'll probably only get a couple of hits and then add 2-3 more drops.  Should be good to go.

I'm geesh, I can't remember what I ordered, LOL. I'll find out when they show up in the mail! I just knew I was going to need some cartomizers for in the car and such. I probably do take several in a row more often than not, since I work on the computer, so I'll sit here and type type type, then when I pick it up I'll hit it 2 or 3 times, then put it back down and go back to work. So it's possible I'm heating it up a bit. I'll stop that. Weird thing about this eGo, tho - and I asked Chris if he thought I got a bogus set-up (I didn't order from VaporTalk, silly me), the cone doesn't come off. The cone and atomizer are all one piece. I thought that was odd. So I can't separate the two to look at the leakage situation that way. I do blow them out a couple of times a day for no other reason than I read that somewhere in here - blow out the attys now and then - so at least I *think* that way I'm not flooding them. Sometimes stuff comes out, sometimes not. Natch, I'll be ordering spares of everything as time goes on, 'cause I don't want to have to pick up a StinkyStick because I ran out of something or broke something!!!! :X

I always use 3 drips at a time and I do sometimes have leakage, but it's always contained inside my cone, but my cone and atomizer are two different pieces. Maybe someone will come on soon who has the same unit that you have and can better answer your problem.

I'm a 2 drops at a time person. occasionally get a bit of leaking. I just unscrew the atty, wipe off the connections, reattach-vape whats left in the atty and then add a couple drops. It's all kinda become second nature and I don't even really think about it anymore.

It does take a bit to get your supplies built up--You will get there soon enough !!!

Speaking of the gurgle gurgle.. I get that ever since I soaked my atty (510) in hot water! I also removed the wick threads. Blew it out really well, let it stand to dry for two days... when the gurgle finally stops, I get a really HOT vapor and very little flavor! I'm sure removing the wick is probably the reason for the hot vapor, but the gurgling is just annoying!

Any thoughts on this one?

Removing the wick should not be the cause of hot vapor, although PG does create a warmer vapor which leads me to ask "What blend of juice are you using?". Is the atty lr or standard? I used to wash my attys now I avoid it as much as possible. They take days and days to dry and can perform a little differently.

Gurgling = flooding. Proper cleaning can fix this right up for you. Once you've cleaned it (blown through, wiped down, repeat, etc) try reducing the # of drops you're using. I've had experience with different 510 atomizers: standard vs low res, as well as a few manufacturers. I've also tried quite a bit of juice in varying blends of PG and VG. The thickness of the juice, whether or not you're using an lr or standard atty and who makes the atty factor in to the leakage. As Brian has stated it certainly does require some practice. But like moving into a new house, you'll soon be navigating your way in the dark without bumping into walls. Familiarity with your setup will happen, it just takes a little patience and lots of Q & A!!!

Good luck guys and gals ;)

fino4beat, I had that problem, too! Three things I did to make it stop making a mess:

1) Put 1ml of VG in my partially used (almost 9ml left, I guessed), 10ml bottles. Yeah, it cut down the flavor a bit, but it sure kept things a bit thicker.

2) When I put my LR atty on my eGo, I make sure the holes on the atty line up with the notched out parts on the battery. This seems to help with airflow and allow it not to overheat as much. At least this is my theory.

3) Wait until the eGo cools before adding more liquid. Usually two minutes will do. Also, I found, for me, two and a half drops works well. How do I get two and a half? The half rather dribbles out when I place the bottle tip up against the drip tip and I don't really squeeze.

I do keep the cone on. It looks cool. And I want to look cool even if I'm at home. :) Also, I can be a chain vaper, so I know it can heat up pretty quickly.

If you're still trying to figure out what sounds like a mega atty (cone and atty together), I think there is another thread about it. Somewhere.

Good luck!

Removing the wick should not be the cause of hot vapor, although PG does create a warmer vapor which leads me to ask "What blend of juice are you using?". Is the atty lr or standard? I used to wash my attys now I avoid it as much as possible. They take days and days to dry and can perform a little differently.

Gurgling = flooding. Proper cleaning can fix this right up for you. Once you've cleaned it (blown through, wiped down, repeat, etc) try reducing the # of drops you're using. I've had experience with different 510 atomizers: standard vs low res, as well as a few manufacturers. I've also tried quite a bit of juice in varying blends of PG and VG. The thickness of the juice, whether or not you're using an lr or standard atty and who makes the atty factor in to the leakage. As Brian has stated it certainly does require some practice. But like moving into a new house, you'll soon be navigating your way in the dark without bumping into walls. Familiarity with your setup will happen, it just takes a little patience and lots of Q & A!!!

Good luck guys and gals ;)

Hey Nox :),

Ok, figured out the gurgle issue! Took the cart off that I was using empty so I could drip, carefully inhaled over the cone, no gurgle. Replaced it with a new cart NO GURGLE again! I hadn't made sure that I lined up the first cart correctly each time and part of it (closest to the atty) was distorted from melting. I'm guessing something in the way the air/vapor was flowing through the bad cart was causing condensation and as it ran passed the side vents and was trying to pull the condensed droplets back up through those vents, thus gurgling. Again..hope that makes sence other than only in my mind. So, you were definately right... familiarity with the set up helps a lot.

Hoping this expanation may help someone in the future!

Hey Nox :),

Ok, figured out the gurgle issue! Took the cart off that I was using empty so I could drip,  carefully inhaled over the cone, no gurgle.  Replaced it with a new cart  NO GURGLE again! I hadn't made sure that I lined up the first cart correctly each time and part of it (closest to the atty) was distorted from melting. I'm guessing something in the way the air/vapor was flowing through the bad cart was causing condensation and as it ran passed the side vents and was trying to pull the condensed droplets back up through those vents, thus gurgling.  Again..hope that makes sence other than only in my mind.  So, you were definately right... familiarity with the set up helps a lot.

Juice and condensation can go up the vent hole on the side of the cart.  Back when I used carts, I would wipe it off with a paper towel every time I removed it.  Also, you can pop out the top, pop out another little ring inside that, and was it out.

Ahhh .. carts. Yes when I use them, though rare, I will put the bottom of the cart into a tissue or towel and blow through the little top hole which clears those vents for a little while.

OK, I only thought I had solved the issue! Can liquid get UNDER the atty somewhere between the air holes in the threads and the actual atty well? Same atty this evening gurgling again, but this time with a drip tip. I've completely blown it out, left it sitting all afternoon to drain, not much on the tissue. Fired it up w/o any drops and NO vapor. Tried this about 3 times just to be sure. All sounded clear. Added 2 drops and it gurgled away again. I've found that if I hold it horizontally while vaping, it clears up after about 4 long drags and gives much better vape, although less flavor and gets a hotter vape. But... then 2 drops after no vapor and it gurgles again. I think it's just time to retire this one, however, it heats fine. I'll keep experimenting with it while trying any other suggestions you may have.

TTYS!

Bahamas

BTW, bought another EGO for the rmmate. Also got two drip tips....HEAVEN!!! :)

Edited by bahamasboy