How To Shower A Mastiff

We have always showered the dogs 2 person 1 hold the other lather method. Tonight I wondered if they would just follow me in. So I called Indy she showered while I shampooed, then Dega showered while I conditioned. Then I reshowered during which they were both in the living room doing what hubby called a mastiff Riverdance. Sure they smell like Lever 2000 and my shampoo but it is much better than doggie smell. I've always been afraid to try this as I do not want to be taken out by a wet dog but they just walked into shower then walked back out when I told them to. If they would only cooperate like this when I try to shoo them out of my bed. Indy fake snores and will open one eye to see if she has fooled you, Dega just wags his tail thus threatening to break your toes.

You must have one hell of a big bed to be able to sleep with two big dogs and your hubby.

Tell the truth....which one snores the most?detective.gif

I have been told it would be me but I say Dega. Usually just Indy is up there until hubby goes to work but sometimes they take shifts. We shoo them off but wake up with their hairy bodies pressed against us.

As much as Ginger hates the shower--she will reluctantly walk into the shower to be scrubbed clean. She loves the scrubbing part and then the drying part--especially loves her huge head scratched with the towel--then loves tearing through the house like a puppy. she is actually my easiest because I can stand to wash her--however she does fill most of the shower without much wiggle room. I am waiting for the day she leans too hard against the glass shower doors..........

I love big dogs !!!

I love how playful they are after a bath. Dega does a shake that starts at his head then moves slowly back to his tail. Our late Rottie had to be crated when we showered or bathed, she jumped right in with anyone. She even jumped in the hot tub with us. Ouch!We bought her a kiddie pool just for her.

Edited by mastiffmom

Gotta love the things we go through for our Animals !!!! my whole house is very dog oriented. Baby gates, extra laundry due to dog hair on the beds (cover the beds with a sheet--much easier to wash frequently), runners on the wood floors to avoid animals slipping, area rugs, dog beds. My Mastiff even has her own couch (gave up trying to keep her off), human sized dog doors....

Gotta love the things we go through for our Animals !!!! my whole house is very dog oriented. Baby gates, extra laundry due to dog hair on the beds (cover the beds with a sheet--much easier to wash frequently), runners on the wood floors to avoid animals slipping, area rugs, dog beds. My Mastiff even has her own couch (gave up trying to keep her off), human sized dog doors....

We did those blue foam play mats when they were puppies, they have destroyed 2 1/2 couches and we had to get a bigger camper with slide outs to fit everyone. With a baby gate across the front when we are on the road. They like to stand between the seats and look out the windshield. Not good.

Wow! I've only had one couch destroyed. But I don't think I want to try and outdo you on that one. LOL We gave up on buying "beds" for the dogs though. We've had dozens of those destroyed. Now they get blankets. Lots and lots of blankets.

We built a kennel for our big dog (for when we're away at work etc) and tossed in his favorite vinyl reclyner. After a week he had it torn up just right and he's been the happiest kenneler this side of the Rockies. He hardly ever uses his igloo doghouse that's filled with soft shavings so naturally we gave him hubby's old winter coat to snuggle with on the reclyner. I'm surprised he hasn't asked for an xbox yet.

My dog is quite good. I never had any problems with chewing or destroying anything, even as a puppy. She still has stuffed toys from puppy hood that look used but not beaten. Now my brother's dog is another story, he chewed a hole in my carpet. My dog is pretty good in the tub. But getting her in the tub is a different story. I have to drag her out from under the table and then she slinks with her head hung really low. Makes me feel really guilty.

Now I am not exempt from pet destruction. I have a 2 year old cat that will destroy anything that will shred. She destroys papers, books, toilet paper, paper towels and plastic grocery bags. She will even chew holes in the dog food bag. God forbid if I leave the garbage container out. The only saving grace is that she has not taken to destruction of my furniture yet. She really likes the big scratching post for that one. I am holding my breath on the no furniture thing, I am just waiting for the day I really make her mad and she takes it out on the couch in retribution. That will be a sad day.

Edit - I should also add that this crazy cat climbs up on a two story condo building and cries at the top of her lungs. I can't explain the number of times I had to explain to neighbors that she is not trapped and only does it to annoy me.

Edited by BirdDog

The first week was kind of a mess to clean up, what with all the stuffing scattered about. But then he finally got it chewed up just perfectly for him and his pen's been stuffing free ever since. With a couch, you might want to rent a BobCat for stuffing removal lol.

Mine don't chew on anything, but they trash the springs in couches. Indy did put her foot through the back cushion on a leather couch though. Dog beds usually got destroyed. My two prefer the bed so I put a heavy microfiber comforter over it and they are happy.

Edited by mastiffmom

The first week was kind of a mess to clean up, what with all the stuffing scattered about. But then he finally got it chewed up just perfectly for him and his pen's been stuffing free ever since. With a couch, you might want to rent a BobCat for stuffing removal lol.

That is probably true. LOL