Hv(Resistance)Atties

I have been wondering this for a while, but never really asked until now... Lets say i have a 5v device and put on a high resistance atty which is 3.2ohms. According to ohm's law

5v device with high reistance atty

5v, 3.2ohms = 1.5625amps

standard atty at 3.7v

3.7v,2,2ohms = 1.68182amps

I get better vapor production on a 3.7 with a standard atty. So why do these HR atties even exist? The only benefit i can see is if someone has a 5v FV(Fixed voltage) device and it's too strong for them... That would also produce longer battery life. Why not just get an ego and a standard atty, and vape?

You need to keep in mind the wattage. A 5V device with a 3.2 ohm atty will produce 7.81 watts. A 3.7V device with a 2.2 ohm atty will produce 6.33 watts. More watts more heat equals more vapors. I like the vapors lol

The HV atties exist because some people use two 3.7V batteries (on an unregulated unit) which gives you 7.4V. 7.4V would pop a standard atty, so HV atties were introduced. A 5.2ohm atty with 7.4V will generate 10.5 watts which many claim to be the "sweet spot".

If you haven't looked at it before, the thread below may be helpful.

My link

Edited by Brian

You need to keep in mind the wattage. A 5V device with a 3.2 ohm atty will produce 7.81 watts. A 3.7V device with a 2.2 ohm atty will produce 6.33 watts. More watts more heat equals more vapors. I like the vapors lol

I need more vapors....please Chris....send me a sample of your Kosher e-liquid.

brian, and i am assuiming that would give you longer battery life???

In theory, maybe, but I really don't think it would be noticable. If you want better battery life, you need something that will hold bigger batteries.

It's really all about personal preference and finding what works for you. More options are allowing more poeple to find what works for them best. Many people find that once they try HV, they can't go back to 3.7. Some people like 3.7v with a LR atty.

like i said i haven't got a chance to read it much, but the thing that i am don't think i fully grasp, since i didn't look at the page much. Is amps, from my understanding amperage is the ""weight" of it. Lets say I have a cup of water, and throw it on someone. There are so many pounds per square inch when it hits the person. If get a water cannon, and use the same "volume" of water... 1 cup... the pounds per square inch would be a lot higher. I think these are amps. not sure...

Wattage is a measure of the amount of heat produced, ,current is the amount of electrons flowing in the circut and can be used to determine wattage.Here is another peice to the puzzle.Protected batteries have a circut board that limits the current flow to keep them from discharging too rapidly or charging too rapidly,This is supposed to keep them from causing a sudden release of energy ,or explosion .So to predict the amperage or wattage you would have to discern the current limiting setting of the particular battery.I am not sure what happens when you put two protected batteries in series for higher voltage applications as you would have two circut boards in series trying to limit the current through thier respective cells.It would be possible to actually measure the current with a little construction work.I am not sure it is worth the effort as there is nothing you can do other than building a mod with parallel batteries to increase currrent.

Edited by mcquinn