Kills My Throat

bklanz

Hi, welcome to the Vapor Talk Forum!

It is more than possible that 24mg of nic is too high for you. A cartomizer can be harsher on the throat than using a regular atomizer with filler or if you are direct dipping with an atty and empty cartridge. I started out using 24 mg. The first couple of days I coughed and felt a little lightheaded. I haven't really coughed since then. There is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to vaping. Depending upon what unit you purchased, I'd try to give it some time. In the meantime you might want to order a lower nic strength, 18 or 16mgs. Hang in tho, it will get better...way better than smoking analogs! :)

Some of the prefilled are very nasty. I started at 24, many people I have helped started at 18 or even 11 (one at 0). Touch to gauge where to start but I think going a little higher is better than lower (nic withdrawal symptoms are ugly). Nic itself (in my opinion) ain't that bad, must kick the addiction to all the other chemicals first in analogues. Then take a whack at kicking the nic by reducing slowly, if not, cool.

I'm having the same problem. I have a kr808 rev using a carto with pg juice, I was thinking about switching to a vg juice to see if that made a difference. Any thoughts?

Hi willy,

I assume you are a new vaper. The PG juice does irritate your throat when you begin vaping. I had the same issue. I have found that it goes away rather quickly. Drinking lots of fluids helps. Also I assume you may be vaping a lot which will definitely end up causing irritation. Remeber to keep your carto filled up. Vapor from a dry carto or atty will tear your throat up for sure.

Just got my e cig two days ago. Its very harsh on my throat coughing almost every time i vape. Came with 24mg cartos will a lower nicotine be less harsh?

Another potential problem you may be having is the PG base in the juice. Where did you get the e-liquid from? Some people, like myself, have a bad reaction to PG where it scratches my throat and actually hurts (which is different from "throat hit"). If after you lower the nicotine content, it still hurts your throat, try switching to a VG juice instead of a PG juice. There are plenty of threads that explain the difference :thumbsup:

Good Luck!

Hi willy,

I assume you are a new vaper. The PG juice does irritate your throat when you begin vaping. I had the same issue. I have found that it goes away rather quickly. Drinking lots of fluids helps. Also I assume you may be vaping a lot which will definitely end up causing irritation. Remeber to keep your carto filled up. Vapor from a dry carto or atty will tear your throat up for sure.

Yeah I've only been vaping for a few days so I'll give it some time to get use to it. I still haven't reached for an analog!

Thanks for the tips

I am definately still a noob myself, trying to get used to it and avoiding the burn, but one thing I have found that helps is to push the battery on a cold cart for about 5sec and let the unit warm up and start with smaller shallow inhales until it feels comfortable.

Edit : also a couple primer puffs to clear the harsher tasting vapors.

Edited by Trice

Things I Have noticed in my 3 days of vaping.

It is harsh. Very Harsh. I have been using 24 mg pg RY4. I have empty carts, and filling the carts up with about 3 drops. I get about 5-10 puffs out of it before I have to add more liq. I dont know what to think of it. Everyone says "oh its a new atomizer" "It takes time" I have smoked a few analogs because of the harshness.

You will notice a difference in flavors. When it gets low, it tastes burnt. Yuck.....

Things I Have noticed in my 3 days of vaping.

It is harsh. Very Harsh. I have been using 24 mg pg RY4. I have empty carts, and filling the carts up with about 3 drops. I get about 5-10 puffs out of it before I have to add more liq. I dont know what to think of it. Everyone says "oh its a new atomizer" "It takes time" I have smoked a few analogs because of the harshness.

You will notice a difference in flavors. When it gets low, it tastes burnt. Yuck.....

24 mg is a very high dose of nic. I've vaped my friend's 24 mg juices and choked as if I had puffed on my first analog. The higher the nic, the harder the throat hit. I can do 18mg but I mostly am down to using 10mg, which may be too light for you especially just starting out. I also make sure mine is a PG/VG mix. Of course I'm only speaking from my own experience.

24 mg is a very high dose of nic. I've vaped my friend's 24 mg juices and choked as if I had puffed on my first analog. The higher the nic, the harder the throat hit. I can do 18mg but I mostly am down to using 10mg, which may be too light for you especially just starting out. I also make sure mine is a PG/VG mix. Of course I'm only speaking from my own experience.

So are you saying the harshness is the nicotine strength? Or something else....

nicotine strength and flavor can definitely play a role in harshness. Do you have access to any PG or VG, you can try diluting the liquid a bit and see if a lower nic level helps.

also--try--using a papertowel or kleenex-twist-push into atty-let sit for a few minutes to absorb any old liquid in the atomizer. drip 3 drops and vape--see if that helps a bit.

When the atty gets too dry, it does taste burnt.

is the filler in the cart still white or is it discolored? you can take it out and wash it. put enough liquid in the cart to about 3/4, push the filler back in, and pull it back level to the top of the cart. add enough liquid so the top of the filler looks wet.

So are you saying the harshness is the nicotine strength? Or something else....

For me it's both. 24mg of nic for me is way too high. but...PG by itself is also way too harsh for me. It's trial and error to find the perfect fit that's right for you. for me it's 10mg of nic in a PG/VG mix. that's what works for me.

For me the harsh hits and burnt taste were enough to have me consider giving up vaping until someone directed me to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap1c4EwKRAY. The material used as 'wicking' is a poly-type fiber that is naaaasty on my taste buds. I do not remove my bridge. I repeat: I do not remove my bridge and because I don't I can still use regular cartridges and prefer to do so with blue foam fluval. I'm always going to be a dripper though.

PG vapes dry and you do feel it in your throat, but that throat hit is something you may like - or not. It's a dry, warm vapor.

Higher nic does make you cough more, definitely affects TH (throat hit)

Moi? VG @ low nic of 6 to 12 mg which is equivalent to ultra light & light cigarettes.

I like VG .. to me it vapes "clean" meaning I feel like something has just washed through my lungs and cleansed them (I'm not saying this really happens). It's a cool, misty feeling vapor but the thickest clouds of vapor you'll ever .. omg, just try it!

And keep in mind too... VG based juices do not wick very well at all because of how thick it is. This will tend to cause the harsh taste people talk about because it's not wicking fast enough to keep up with your vaping. Try some PG... or mix some PG in with what you already have to thin it a bit and see if that helps. Just a thought.

Dayvape, I beg to differ. The only time I experience a harsh taste is with PG or when my husband runs my attys dry. Direct dripping with PG vs VG: 3 drops of PG vape a lot faster than 3 drops of VG and that means more encounters with dry or almost dry atty which equates to nasty, harsh hit. This is when I grab the nearest iced tea, coffee, gum or w/e to pop in my mouth. ick!

Though now that I'm mixing my own (part-time) I do agree that a little PG added to the VG is the best option, for me, to dilute viscosity. Somewhere around 5% PG is my preference.

Edited by noXious

There are a lot of suppliers out there that mix-to-order. Now that you've experienced both perhaps you could try a 50/50 PG/VG blend. From there you should have a better idea if you'd like more PG, more VG or if the 50/50 is just right for you.

• 3 years later...

I've been vaping for 3 weeks and it was doing great till about 2 days ago and my throat started hurting whenever I inhale from my e-cig, I was told that I may be over vaping which in turn is irritating my throat. I refuse to go back to analogs though so I'm suffering through it. Not my first rodeo though..about a year ago I vaped for a little over 2 months with no complications..I used a prefilled e-cig from smart smoke the first time, now I'm using an ego cig with 26, 24, 18 mg liquids...