Chantix Vs. E Cig!

owutaqt

I did the Chantix thing like everyone else. At the time I was taking an anti-depressant and an anti-anxiety. It did have quite a few side effects, but none that was too bad compared to the other medications I was taking. My biggest problem with it was how bad it made me feel, if I did smoke. That is kinda how it worked with me, every time I smoked I felt physically terrible. I eventually quit. The problem is that it doesn't change your behavior, just not taking in nicotine. Ecigs in my opinion is a much better way to quit. You can taper the nicotine as needed. It also gives you something to do with your hands and time, which a HUGE part of my addiction. I was unsuccessful. I did quit for a while, it just didn't stick.

I think another thing that made it not work, I was trying to quit doing too many things at once. Within a month I had quit all medications, caffeine, and started getting in shape. These were all good thing to do, I just wasn't mentally prepared to it all, I snapped and started smoking again. I also quit working out.

• 1 month later...

I realize this is an old thread, but I'd like to add my 2 cents. I've tried cold turkey (four times -- I'm hard-headed), a stop-smoking class (that got me to the 0.1 mg/cig, but never got quit), the gum (raw throat), the patches (I actually quit for 9 months, but it didn't stick because of the habit ) two times, hypnosis (lit up on my way out), Zyban (does that really do anything?), the old e-cig with the nic-soaked paper (too strong), and, finally Chantix. I didn't have any weird psychological effects, although they've been documented well enough that I know they're real, but I did have really severe acid reflux. I was using Zantac AND Pepcid, plus Tums w/ no joy. On my quit day, the reflux was so bad, it threw me into a full-blown asthma attack. I put it aside, went back to smoking, and figured I should just stick a fork in myself, I was done.

I did report the reflux to the FDA, but I imagine it went into the electronic version of their circular file.

I still wasn't depressed. I kept telling myself that something was going to come along. Sure 'nuff, it did. I've cut my analogs by another 33%! Now, if I can just get rid of the water retention . . .