Vaping Without Smoking First

I have been a Vaper for a little while now and I must admit I am still trying to kick the analogs completely (I am down 2 less than a pack a week) and my wife is really stressed out. Anyway, she was hinting around that maybe she should take up smoking to relax and also so that she could have a chance to take a break at work. She even tried an analog and did not like it. After that, I had her try my e-cig and she found it pretty pleasant. At this point she does not inhale and she mostly uses 0 nicotine (except when we do smoky kisses). She is now vaping 2 to 4 times a week and likes the strawberry and menthol flavors and watching the vapor come out of her mouth. Does anyone else have experiences with a non smoker taking up vaping?

I will not encourage a non-smoker to try vaping. I just don't think it is a good idea, especially if they have never had the addiction to cigarettes. If it is stress she wants to tackle, I think she should find something else to calm it. I do see the attraction she might have with you picking up this new hobby and becoming very interested in it herself. This is a decision you should make with your wife. But please try and keep her to stay with the zero nic.

I don't think it's very cool to get someone addicted to anything... even if it is low nic in vaping! Like Birdog said... there are many things out there she could do to relieve stress, etc. It doesn't necessarily need to start up a new addiction to nicotine! Now on the other hand... I don't see any problem in letting her start vaping 0 nic juice... if that was all she was going to vape. That wouldn't really bother me at all then.

Edited by DAYVAPE

I have to agree with the others. I don't think it's a good idea to vape if you were never a smoker. We have all used vaping to replace the really bad analogs and are rightfully proud of ourselves for giving them up, but if I had never smoked, I would never have started vaping. It just doesn't make sense. Why take something into your lungs if you don't need to? We've all taken a lot worse into lungs and have just replaced with something we feel isn't as bad. We don't know for sure that vaping is safe, we're just very sure that it's a whole lot safer than analogs. And we all know how much better we feel and how much healthier we are because of it. My husband is a non-smoker and I would probably kick his behind if he said he wanted to take up vaping. Just as I would discourage a person from starting to smoke, I'd discourage a person from starting to vape if they had never smoked - despite the fact that loved smoking and really love vaping.

My two cents is as long as its zero, I doubt the addiction will present itself. I believe when we smoke, we get nicotine and it presents all sorts of queues and physical changes to the brain. Brain says that's good and associates the act of smoking to the hand and mouth.

Having said that, I am very comfortable in my choice of vaping over smoking,but no one can promise the juices are 100 percent what you think they are, even if they are, no one can promise vaporizing PG is okay long term, nor the hardware is top notch.

I say get some tranqs for her (from a doctor). ;-)

You know, almost all of your post have said the exact same thing in one form or another. You want to vape and you want your wife to vape, who doesn't.

I'm not sure what point your trying to make on the forum or where your going with this, but members have already given you their input, many times over. I personally think it's idiotic to start vaping if you don't smoke. Why bother? To relax? Have a cup of tea, exercise or read a book.

Either way it's your choice, but please, stop posting the same topic/post over and over again.

I guess I have been told. You will not hear about this subject again.

Just one question for all of you have closed your minds to this subject.......Why did you start smoking in the 1st place? was it because you were stressed, because you wanted to be cool, to rebel against authority, was it a social thing or were you just trying to kill yourselves by starting a habit that is known to harm your body in very severe ways.

If you look at the statistics (as I have) there are as many people taking up smoking cigarettes at young ages (between the ages of 13 and 21) today as there were 8 years ago and the total number of smokers has not gone down significantly. A lot of us are switching to vaping, but those younger people are still becoming smokers.

I have to say that I really love the comment above about going to a doctor to turn my wife into a zombie by prescribing tranqualizers rather than occasionally vaping with zero nicotine. You want to talk about addictive and dangerous.

Heck, all I wanted to know was if anyone else knew (not is encouraging) of anyone who chose to take up vaping that was a non smoker.

It is a shame that this forum is so exclusive that you have to have to be a member of the smokers club to belong.

I have to say that I really love the comment above about going to a doctor to turn my wife into a zombie by prescribing tranqualizers rather than occasionally vaping with zero nicotine. You want to talk about addictive and dangerous.

My comment, please note the winky face.

"I say get some tranqs for her (from a doctor). ;-)"

Edited to add I do notice you said she was trying an analogue to see if it helped. So if she's that stressed would you rather have her smoking or taking a 0.25 xanax now and then to cope? They are physically non-addictive by the way, mental is another issue.

And to your other point about a social thing, yes, it was mostly social and peer pressure. But it was an addictive substance in there that kept it going. I know plenty of non-smokers and ex-smokers that take the walk outside with their friends who are smoking. How young do you have to be to actually have to be doing something like vaping to "fit in"? if she wants a break she should take it, how about walking outside with a stick of celery or a carrot? Vaping without nicotine is in and of itself, IMO, not stress reducing. As I previously surmised, it is to a smoker because the brain associated the action with the drug.

The only point of my real advice is no one is going to tell you to its safe because we don't know, to us its the lessor (hopefully) of two evils.

Edited by FTJoe

My comment, please note the winky face.

"I say get some tranqs for her (from a doctor). ;-)"

Edited to add I do notice you said she was trying an analogue to see if it helped. So if she's that stressed would you rather have her smoking or taking a 0.25 xanax now and then to cope? They are physically non-addictive by the way, mental is another issue.

And to your other point about a social thing, yes, it was mostly social and peer pressure. But it was an addictive substance in there that kept it going. I know plenty of non-smokers and ex-smokers that take the walk outside with their friends who are smoking. How young do you have to be to actually have to be doing something like vaping to "fit in"? if she wants a break she should take it, how about walking outside with a stick of celery or a carrot? Vaping without nicotine is in and of itself, IMO, not stress reducing. As I previously surmised, it is to a smoker because the brain associated the action with the drug.

The only point of my real advice is no one is going to tell you to its safe because we don't know, to us its the lessor (hopefully) of two evils.

Oh, I agree with some of this, but we all started smoking at some point for some reason. The poor lady is already taking xanax and by the way please check your facts, xanax can be very addictive. Personally, I find the ritual of smoking - the hand to mouth, the process and watching the smoke rise out of my body to be very relaxing even with 0 nicotine, but that is just me i guess. Heck I probably never would have started smoking in the 1st place if I couldn't see the smoke and I find that if I smoke or vape in the dark and can't see the smoke, it just isn't the same.

I guess I got concerned about someone taking up vaping without smoking and didn't answer your question. No, I don't know of anyone who did that.

Why did I start smoking? Stupidity? Probably. Peer pressure? For sure. A few dumb kids sneaking a smoke together now and then and thinking we were cool. Back then, there were no warnings that it was bad for you. It seemed like everyone was smoking - people in ads on tv and in magazines, everyone in the movies, in tv shows, etc. People shopped with cigarettes hanging out of their mouths. Good grief, all through high school, we all sat around on the lawn in front of the school smoking before school, after school, during lunch break, etc. Between classes we had a quick drag or two in the bathroom. Teachers borrowed cigarettes from us. There were no bans whatsoever.

I actually started smoking when I was quite young - around 12. I didn't smoke a lot until I was about 15. I tried to quit smoking over the next 34 years and nothing worked for me. The patches were working, but I was getting a lot of small, round rashes from them and had to quit using them. I didn't want to quit smoking because I enjoyed it so much, but because of all the smoking bans and my health and my family and the cost, I thought I should quit. Until vaping came along I couldn't do it. Cigarettes controlled me. I didn't control them. And that is not a good thing. Even though I smoked for so long and enjoyed it so much, I don't want to see anyone pick that nasty habit up. For any reason whatsoever. I just happen to think that vaping is a part of it.

I don't think this forum is "exclusive". We've had people join who never smoked, but wanted to say how happy they were for us, or people who don't smoke but want to encourage their friends who do smoke to switch to vaping. My husband is a non-smoker, but I feel confident that if he wanted to join here and talk with all of these good people, he would be just as welcome as anyone else. We are here mainly to help people switch from smoking to vaping...because we know how much better we feel and we want everyone to feel like we do. BUT...we don't "knock" anyone and they don't get kicked out of here because they never smoked. I've been here almost a year now and from what I've seen, everyone is welcomed with open arms and kind words. That's why I'm still here.

Beachbum... It seems to me that you have fun conveying your thoughts. You state one thing, then clarify with an opposite. We all do that from time to time, but seldom is pleasure taken when things we say are misunderstood. You, on the other hand, seem to derive great pleasure. Did I already say that? So with that said... WHAT'S your point?

Choices are simple. Light up enuff analogs, you get addicted to the whole shabang. Light up an electronic cigarette with nicotine, your get addicted to the whole shabang. Light up a zero nicotine analog you still inhale tar and 4000 ways to die.... (there are no ZERO nic analogs that I know of) and you become addicted to the "act" of smoking. Light up a 0nic e-cig and you don't inhale tar and 4000 ways to die, but surely you pick up a new POSSIBLE way or not, and you will become addicted to the "act". Keeping the addiction to just the "act" narrows the addictions that one has to break when they decide to break free from being addicted to anything at all.

The choices are personal, the choices are individual. There's not a single person out there who doesn't know the powers of nicotine addiction and the hazards of smoking analogs.

Do YOU know the risks involved with smoking analogs? How about with e-cigs? How about with Nicotine?

With that said. Does SHE??

I find it hard to believe that any MATURE PERSON with normal IQ, in todays day and age, would DECIDE to START inhaling NICOTINE.... especially when there is ZERO NICOTINE avaiable.

Sooo, what's up???

Oh, I agree with some of this, but we all started smoking at some point for some reason. The poor lady is already taking xanax and by the way please check your facts, xanax can be very addictive. Personally, I find the ritual of smoking - the hand to mouth, the process and watching the smoke rise out of my body to be very relaxing even with 0 nicotine, but that is just me i guess. Heck I probably never would have started smoking in the 1st place if I couldn't see the smoke and I find that if I smoke or vape in the dark and can't see the smoke, it just isn't the same.

Without actually recommending it, I would certainly say vaping 0mg is better than an analogue or other well known destructive actions.

My point about that particular tranquilizer is if taken as directed, should not be addictive. It's really not supposed to be written for over a long period of use or for frequent/constant anxiety attacks. other means should be found then. Unfortunately many doctors will do just that, people use it and develop a tolerance for it and have to increase the dose which causes a dependency and even withdrawal symptoms. What I meant is the mechanism of the drug unlike opiates and what not is not immediately conducive to an addiction. At least that is my understanding when used "as needed" for anxiety. GLTY!!

I guess I got concerned about someone taking up vaping without smoking and didn't answer your question. No, I don't know of anyone who did that.

Why did I start smoking? Stupidity? Probably. Peer pressure? For sure. A few dumb kids sneaking a smoke together now and then and thinking we were cool. Back then, there were no warnings that it was bad for you. It seemed like everyone was smoking - people in ads on tv and in magazines, everyone in the movies, in tv shows, etc. People shopped with cigarettes hanging out of their mouths. Good grief, all through high school, we all sat around on the lawn in front of the school smoking before school, after school, during lunch break, etc. Between classes we had a quick drag or two in the bathroom. Teachers borrowed cigarettes from us. There were no bans whatsoever.

I actually started smoking when I was quite young - around 12. I didn't smoke a lot until I was about 15. I tried to quit smoking over the next 34 years and nothing worked for me. The patches were working, but I was getting a lot of small, round rashes from them and had to quit using them. I didn't want to quit smoking because I enjoyed it so much, but because of all the smoking bans and my health and my family and the cost, I thought I should quit. Until vaping came along I couldn't do it. Cigarettes controlled me. I didn't control them. And that is not a good thing. Even though I smoked for so long and enjoyed it so much, I don't want to see anyone pick that nasty habit up. For any reason whatsoever. I just happen to think that vaping is a part of it.

I don't think this forum is "exclusive". We've had people join who never smoked, but wanted to say how happy they were for us, or people who don't smoke but want to encourage their friends who do smoke to switch to vaping. My husband is a non-smoker, but I feel confident that if he wanted to join here and talk with all of these good people, he would be just as welcome as anyone else. We are here mainly to help people switch from smoking to vaping...because we know how much better we feel and we want everyone to feel like we do. BUT...we don't "knock" anyone and they don't get kicked out of here because they never smoked. I've been here almost a year now and from what I've seen, everyone is welcomed with open arms and kind words. That's why I'm still here.

Thank you for a very nice response. I have learned a lot about vaping from the site and am very glad I joined. I don't have a problem with my wife wanting to vape with me and neither does she so I don't see why anyone else should.

As far as feeling welcome, I have not had that experience. I have basically had a very direct e-mail from the monitor reprimanding me and telling me that I should not post any more questions or comments about our personal experiences or the fact that my wife has made a choice to try something new without earning the right to try it I guess. I don't wish to encourage anyone to take up anything against thier will, but there is nothing wrong with people trying something new if they want to and I just wanted to know if anyone else has had the experience of trying this as a totally new thing without smoking 1st. Many people in this forum don't know me in any way and maybe my situation is different.....but wrong is a matter of perception and apparently I am being perceived as a deviant.

By the way, just to share. I started smoking at a very early age out of curiousity. I stole cigarettes from my mom. When I was about 14, I found out that a lot of my peers in my sport of competitive springboard diving smoked as well and that reinforced the desire and ultimately lead to the addiction that I still can't break complettely.

Edited by BeachBum

Without actually recommending it, I would certainly say vaping 0mg is better than an analogue or other well known destructive actions.

Bazinga.....Self destructive behavior in the form of overwork without taking breaks and always stressed by needing to do something to keep the mind and body busy is why the occurance of heart conditions in women is on the risw. My wife already uses xanax and she is now having a glass of wine or a wine cooler when she gets home as well as trying to play backgammon most evenings is helping, but she has to be mioving her hands all of the time and her mind won't release. At least when she vapes she is thinking about a new and totally different experience and she forgets to think about the other stresses in her life for a few minutes.

I wish I had never started smoking as well, but I did and I did it for my own reasons. I enjoy smoking and I am switching to vaping as a potentially safer alternative, but my wife has talked about the fact that maybe she should take up smoking as a way to relax. I personally think her playing with vaping is much better than her thinking like that.

I thought maybe I would get a little support from a vape support forum for allowing my wife to learn to vape rather than keep thinking maybe she should take up smoking. Heck at her job where the stress is very high, at least she isn't talking about smoking pot or trying cocaine like a lot of the other employees.

In my first response I said it was a decision between you and your wife. I hope she sticks with the zero nic. No, I do not know anyone that has never smoked before and took up vaping. I do know people who were smokers, that quit, started smoking again and made the switch. (I guess that would be most of us at some point in time.)

We walk a fine line here every time this subject comes up. With all the litigation and regulations coming our way, we are very protective and do not want add fuel to the fire. This is exactly one of those subjects.

By the way... your wife sounds A LOT like mine! She is constantly going, going, going. She can't just sit and watch tv and relax.... always thinking and doing something AT THE SAME TIME! I recognized this pretty much when I met her 10 years ago so it didn't really come as a surprise to me once we were married. But, if I were you, I'd talk to your doctor about A.D.D. if you haven't already. They put my wife on some meds for it and she's now a different person! She can actually chill on the couch with me in the evening and not be all twitchin' around trying to find something to keep her hands busy! The way you describe her sound like my wife exactly!

I thought maybe I would get a little support from a vape support forum for allowing my wife to learn to vape rather than keep thinking maybe she should take up smoking. Heck at her job where the stress is very high, at least she isn't talking about smoking pot or trying cocaine like a lot of the other employees.

Hey I smoke 0mg after bringing it down from 24 to 0 (slowly). I wanted to add what that we are always very concerned about "recommending" something to someone especially if they are not a smoker, underage,etc. But I see some have already touched on that. So If that is the choice she makes, we are here to assist is about all I am will to commit to. And GLTY as well. I always tell folks none is the goal, but having some here and there is fine. Open up a thread on the issues you are having as well (if you want to cut down on the analogues you're still doing) and we'll try to help. We are here to help if we can, we're just a little scared ans suspicious as well. ;-) <-- winky!!

I honestly don't condone to the idealization of a non-smoker taking up vaping. I consider vaping as possibly the best thing that someone ever came up with besides the gum and the patches. To sit there and have a non-smoker take up vaping...is like giving a recovering alcoholic wine to drink. It just doesn't work out. Even though there's the option of 0 nic, there are ways to relieve stress, like yoga or something productive. OH...and BeachBum that last reply you made...don't talk about those things...PLEASE. Now read the first part of my signature...cuz I am now going to drink some coffee and vape while reading more posts. Thank you.

Edited by JagSol

After reading all of your comments, I apologize for broaching this subject on this forum. You can be assured that I will live the way I live and not take offense to anything that is said. Life is just too short to woryy about these kinds of things. In the future i will refrain from any mention of this subject regardless of what choices myself or my wife decide is comfortable for our lives together.

I was after all looking for input and you all have told me how strongly you feel about a subject such as this.

I will continue to visit this forum and I will continue to post, but I will censure my input to my own personal experiences and questions that relate only to me and my use of cigarettes and or e-cigarettes.

I thank you all for your comments and I apologize for broaching such a sensitive and controversial topic.