Cartomizers Vs Atomizers

jellyfish98

A cartomizer has the heating element and the wicking material in one unit. An atomizer must be used with either a cartridge (which has filler in it to put liquid on) or with a direct drip tip (where you can drip a few drops at a time of liquid right on to the atomizer).

I find that a cartomizer is easier to deal with as it is one piece and you can fill it with the rubber protective sleeve it comes with. You just add 10 to 16 drops, push the carto into the juice and it gets sucked up into the wicking material. Others like the direct dripping method because of their various reasons. I'm sure someone will come by with some. :)

You got it Aimee.

I like all of them and use all of them for various reasons. if you can afford it, get them all! Cartomisers reg and lr, attys reg and lr, empty, prefilled, .... they all come in handy.

Welcome by the way!

I personally use cartomizers pretty exclusively, they are more convenient for me. Smoking was more convienent too it was buy a pack smoke a pack put in trash.

Cartomizers give me that feeling more than the atomizers. YMMV

looking at the 510 no box with pcc from cignot.com

You have made a nice choice. I went with 510 mega, called a 520 at wordup and it's really sweet! Feels nice in your hand, great vapor production, you will really like the pcc too very easy. Oh did I mention the 510 is very sleek looking as well:) Welcome and any questions you have you'll find the answers here.

Welcome to Vapor Talk. Uma's right. Get as many different things as you can so that you can decide for yourself what works and doesn't work for you. A lot of people really like the cartomizers, but I'm not one of them. We can tell you what things are, but you are the only one who can test them out and see how they do for you. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. You'll get plenty of answers. Good luck!!

I love cartomizers, they don't need to be constantly refilled and come with a fresh atty. You can also reuse them for quite some time. I have tried 510 and 808 cartomizers. I just ordered some 801 cartomizers but they haven't arrived yet. So far I like the 510 cartomizers the best; however, the 510 cartomizers with the silver threads are the best. I have tried the gold and silver thread 510's and the gold suck HARDCORE in comparison. Every gold threaded one has also burned at high voltage.

With a standard 510 I much much much prefer atomizers and direct dripping. Direct dripping takes the theory of the cartridge, that when you inhale juice will catch the wick and heat on the atomizer, and simplifies it. Instead of having to fill a cart you simply drip your juice directly onto the atomizer and vape that. It gives you better vapor production and flavor but is not conveinent when on the go.

Cartomizers on the other hand have the atomizer and cartridge built into one easy to use piece. You take your juice, fill the cartomizer, and you are good to go for a few hours compared to 5-7 hits from dripping directly onto the atomizer.

Cartomizers on a 510 just don't do it for me on vapor production and flavor. IMO there is not enough power behind a standard 510 battery to properly heat a carto and produce enough vapor. The ego doesn't even do it for me. I only use low resistance cartos on the ego and they are alright, but don't come close to dripping in terms of vapor production, flavor ect.

A standard 510 cartomizer is rated at 2.8-3.5 ohms(a unit of electrical resistance)while a low resistance cartomizer is rated at 1.5-2.0 ohms. This lowers the amount of resistance being distrubuted from your battery to your cartomizer allowing a higher flow of current. This heats your cartomizer(or atomizer, they make low resistance attys as well)more properly and will give you better vapor production, flavor, and throat hit without having to take an 8 second drag and though most do not reccomend them to people unexperienced with vaping, I would. I believe they give a much better first impression and aren't anymore complicated to use/order than a standard resistance 510 cartomizer or atomizer. The only problem with these is they will kill your battery faster and are not reccomended for use with a battery rated under 500mah. In other words if your ego battery is supposed to last 8 months before it dies it may only last 6 and I would not reccomend using them with a standard 510 at all.

510 Battery = 180mah(milliamp hour)at 3.7 volts

Ego battery = 650 or 900mah(depending on standard or XL)at 3.7 volts

The ego definitely has more of a kick with a standard carto but not by much...the only way I can enjoy it is dripping on LR atomizers or using a LR cartomizer(LR = low resistance).

However I do still use my standard 510 when I want that cigarette feel. It produces enough vapor/TH/flavor for me to be happy with and I like the feel of it in my hand. The problem in the design is that when you drip on the atty to much the vent holds leak juice giving you sticky fingers. The other design flaw is the battery(which is taken care of by the PCC). The battery in it is about half the size of a standard AAA and will give you an hour and a half max before it needs a recharge.

The ego is just a beefier version of the 510. It boasts better battery life, the cone design which prevents leakage while dripping, and will give you more consistent hits.

My suggestion to you would be to go ahead and try out an ego. Trust me a 510 is nice to have, and you can always just pick up 1 510 battery and a charger relatively cheap and use it when you are going through a hardcore cig craving. All 510 components are interchangeable so the same cartomizer you use with a 510 can be used with an ego. The ego will give you better battery life, you wont have to rely on a PCC, you wont have to carry a charger around, and the design flaw of the 510(juice leaking)is solved with its cone. You can drip away on the ego for hours and not get a drop of juice anywhere.

All vapers start out with a device that looks like a cigarette because we are all former cigarette smokers. I blew $150 on a kit knowing about the 510 because I wanted it to look, feel, and taste just like a cigarette but within a week I realized that was not the case at all.

By all means, if you have your heart set on the 510 go with it. It is a great device, the PCC is easy to use, its convenient, and it works very very well, but before you buy it I would recommend at least doing some research on the ego and then make your choice.

The wonderful world of E Cigs can be slightly confusing at first. You may buy a 1, 2, or 3 products that don't work for you or you could get lucky and find something that works right off the bat. It's all about personal preference and research but once you take the time to figure out what is right for you it is sooooooooooooo worth it.

Also to answer your question I prefer cartomizers but only at 4.5 volts or above lol :)

Also to answer your question I prefer cartomizers but only at 4.5 volts or above lol :)

See... you have finally "seen the light" !! I got yelled at once for just telling someone not to waste their money buying one of those little "cigerette looking e-cigs"... but I guess everyone has to do whatever they feel is best for them. They eventually come around and graduate to what most of us now use. In the end, a mod is the only way to go to finally hit that SWEET SPOT in vaping, 4.5 volts and a carto! LOL. :thumbsup:

but I guess everyone has to do whatever they feel is best for them. They eventually come around and graduate to what most of us now use.

You sir - are correct. If folks need to have the "feel" of smoking to start down this road, then so be it. And yes, most give it up after a short while. But using 510 equipment means not too much will go to waste if they go ego or something else and the batteries are a nice backup.

Oh I totally agree... I've been lucky thus far to not have needed to touch a single 510 battery due to malfunction of my main device! I'm sure I would be even more happy they are in there if I honestly needed a backup in a pinch. What sucks is it's just really hard to digress to 3.7 after you've been used to HV vaping for so long. Heck, I thought something was wrong with with my eGo when I tried vaping a 510 carto on it... it had been too long since the 3.7 for me. :thumbsup:

Oh I totally agree... I've been lucky thus far to not have needed to touch a single 510 battery due to malfunction of my main device! I'm sure I would be even more happy they are in there if I honestly needed a backup in a pinch. What sucks is it's just really hard to digress to 3.7 after you've been used to HV vaping for so long. Heck, I thought something was wrong with with my eGo when I tried vaping a 510 carto on it... it had been too long since the 3.7 for me. :thumbsup:

That's why I said I would only touch low resistance attys on an ego. Only thing that sort of kind of comes close to HV vaping, but it's still not quite there. I can't wait to go pick up my multi meter so I can actually see what I am vaping at right now. What ever it is it's perfect.

Yeah... it's nice to know just right where you are though. That way you have a good knowledge of your sweet spot... then tweak up or down if need be. What is it... about .2 per turn I think I read, right? I don't have to change it much now... I have it at 4.6 and I will adjust up slightly if need be. It's really not that difficult to just vape it where your happy! And not even LR cartos/attys will cut it for me anymore... like you said, it's close... but just not the same. :thumbsup:

Edited by DAYVAPE

What sucks is it's just really hard to digress to 3.7 after you've been used to HV vaping for so long. Heck, I thought something was wrong with with my eGo when I tried vaping a 510 carto on it... it had been too long since the 3.7 for me. :thumbsup:

Funny as its one of the main reasons I didn't try a variable device after seeing you post that. I'm in just a fine place right now with low res cartos and attys. Don't need to go and get spoiled. Though I have to admit still thinking about it...

wow...placed my order this morning with cignot.com and it already shipped :) now that's turn around time...now i'm excited; hope i have it tomorrow so i can vape at the zoo on sunday :op

Welcome to Vapor Talk! :) I've ordered from Cignot a few times... excellent service.

Funny as its one of the main reasons I didn't try a variable device after seeing you post that. I'm in just a fine place right now with low res cartos and attys. Don't need to go and get spoiled. Though I have to admit still thinking about it...

Yeah, I would hate for you to know how good it really can be at other than 3.7 with LR cartos/attys. It's just not even close to as good for me... I think a main reason being I never liked any LR cartos I tried before I went VV. LR vaping just isn't really the same as HV w/ standard cartos. I know they say it's supposed to be close to it... but not for this cat! :thumbsup:

Cartomizers are great. After trying my first one a few months ago, I rarely use them most of the time. It's helpful to get some drip tips which can be used in the cartos as well as the atomizers. Make sure that you get the cartomizers with the soft removable tip. The hard tip ones are a pain to use. MadVapes has some really good ones.

sweet it delivered today :) one day, can't beat that :) tried it out and oddly enough the prefiled tips that say mlb (Marlboro) taste allot like cherry (in a good way). found out that 26 mg is way too much...love how this thing works though. can't wait to vape through the prefilled carts so that i can try some of the other juice i bought :) i ordered USA, Salem (medicinal tasting with an odd flavor i can't identify), newport (better but reminds me of vicks), French Pipe, and Camel. now i just need to keep from over vaping. sorry for rambling just excited :)

i ordered USA, Salem (medicinal tasting with an odd flavor i can't identify), newport (better but reminds me of vicks), French Pipe, and Camel. now i just need to keep from over vaping. sorry for rambling just excited :)

You like menthols? I can not tell you how many menthols I have, if you'd like, PM me and I can get a sample pack out to you. If you look at the "I need to vent" thread in the lounge, my mission in life is to find something like a newport for my wife to vape. I have TONS from all over. All 0mg, but it should give you an idea of taste. And if you actually like something, you can get a 24 or 36 and cut it down with the 0 so you don't lose any flavor. I do have a couple of big bottles of V4L Nuport 0mg sitting around gathering dust. I also have some traditional tobacco and RY4 variants I have sitting around with nic I keep for any friends to try. I can't recommend the juices here at the store enough and I do have the tobacco, Dulcis and other flavors including Mentha sitting around as well if you would like to try. But if I were you I would just order some from the store.

Apologies for jacking the thread.

You like menthols? I can not tell you how many menthols I have, if you'd like, PM me and I can get a sample pack out to you. If you look at the "I need to vent" thread in the lounge, my mission in life is to find something like a newport for my wife to vape. I have TONS from all over. All 0mg, but it should give you an idea of taste. And if you actually like something, you can get a 24 or 36 and cut it down with the 0 so you don't lose any flavor. I do have a couple of big bottles of V4L Nuport 0mg sitting around gathering dust. I also have some traditional tobacco and RY4 variants I have sitting around with nic I keep for any friends to try. I can't recommend the juices here at the store enough and I do have the tobacco, Dulcis and other flavors including Mentha sitting around as well if you would like to try. But if I were you I would just order some from the store.

Apologies for jacking the thread.

thanks but not really a menthol fan...just wanted to see how they tasted vaped...plus my buddy is a menthol smoker and wanted him to try vaping... btw have you tried Alien Visions strait menthol?

Edited by jellyfish98