E-Cig And Analogs

BeachBum

I think the main reason that I still smoke analog cigarettes along with using the e-cig is because of the timing/break aspect. When I smoke an analog, I begin by taking one out of the package and then I light it. I smoke it for a short period of time and when it burns down close to the filter I put it out and the process is complete. With the e-cig, there is no difinitave beginning or ending to the process. I keep it in my pocket or on my desk and just pick it up and take a drag. I may hold it for a little while and take several drags in a row, but there is no beginning and ending to the process. How do I get over this as it seems to be the main reason I keep up with the analogs. They are more of an event. They don't even taste that good anymore.

I think the main reason that I still smoke analog cigarettes along with using the e-cig is because of the timing/break aspect. When I smoke an analog, I begin by taking one out of the package and then I light it. I smoke it for a short period of time and when it burns down close to the filter I put it out and the process is complete. With the e-cig, there is no difinitave beginning or ending to the process. I keep it in my pocket or on my desk and just pick it up and take a drag. I may hold it for a little while and take several drags in a row, but there is no beginning and ending to the process. How do I get over this as it seems to be the main reason I keep up with the analogs. They are more of an event. They don't even taste that good anymore.

That's a tough one because it's a mechanical thing for you. For me it was purely mental. I smoked for the brief head rush. I did not need to smoke a full cigarette and often would put it out to smoke again later. I think that's why a pack would last me almost 2 days. So coming over to ecigs was disappointing at first because i got no head rush. I did not find any head rush until I got to 24 mgs and even then it was not enough. 36mg is just fine for me.

I prefer vaping for convienence sake. I actually vape a lot more then I ever smoked! Prolly not a good thing, but still better then analogs.

May be you need a 5 minute battery? :)

Put it some where so you have to go and vape,kind of like going outside to smoke.Make a little vaping shrine so it is an event.A lot of us smoked and vaped at first ,after a while the analogs just seem to lose the interest.Once you get the smell out of your clothes and car and house you kind of hate to mess it up .So a good cleaning might help.

Put it some where so you have to go and vape,kind of like going outside to smoke.Make a little vaping shrine so it is an event.A lot of us smoked and vaped at first ,after a while the analogs just seem to lose the interest.Once you get the smell out of your clothes and car and house you kind of hate to mess it up .So a good cleaning might help.

Try not keeping it with you all the time. take off the driptip/cart/cartomizer so you have to put it together add liquid etc.

For me, I was one of the lucky ones that was easily able to replace smoking with vaping. Not everybody has it that easy. I still say, if you need a smoke, then smoke. over time vaping will replace smoking.

There are many people that try to vape only during times when they would normally smoke and not have it in their hands or near by all the time.

Hang in there !!!!

Hi Beach, sometimes the transition involves just the process you're talking about. I was one of those who smoked for years and years, started vaping on June 4 and June 5 was the last analog I had. There are some who transition more slowly. This is just my take on it but there is the ritual component connected with smoking as you described. For me I was never satisfied with that becuz I always wanted the next one. The benefits I've received from vaping the last three or so months can't compare to that, i.e., breathing better, more energy, more money, etc. Vaping is an alternative to smoking analogs, but imo has way more ritual aspects to it, i.e., interesting types of pvs, flavors of e-liquid (PG/VG), nic strength, direct dipping, using cartomizers, passthroughs, high voltage and modular pvs., the list goes on. I think you will get over it. Imo there is no right or wrong with this. Stay connected with the forum, read up, and don't hesitate to ask questions. No one is judging anyone here. Gluck :)!

Oh, and I wanted to add, that I carry my little 510 and eGo around me with me everywhere. It's like a pacifier :)

Edited by Lily

I'm new to this too! I am also having a hard time getting over the "ritual" part of analogs. Like smoking with my morning coffee has been the hardest analog to give up. I'm still smoking about 4 cigarettes a day. I started vaping last week. Compared to the pack I use to smoke a day, 4 is pretty fantastic!! I do notice that over time cigarettes are becoming less and less. I went out to ea the other night and normally would run right outside to smoke once I was done. I wanted to smoke, just b/c that's what I do, but I didn't NEED to smoke. I took a few drags off the vap and totally forgot about smoking. I've also been really big on chewing gum, and cutting down on caffeine. Give yourself some time! I've also gotten myself a bit "addicted" to vaping (i.e. joining a forum about it, lol), to turn my focus :)

That's a tough one because it's a mechanical thing for you. For me it was purely mental. I smoked for the brief head rush. I did not need to smoke a full cigarette and often would put it out to smoke again later. I think that's why a pack would last me almost 2 days. So coming over to ecigs was disappointing at first because i got no head rush. I did not find any head rush until I got to 24 mgs and even then it was not enough. 36mg is just fine for me.

I prefer vaping for convienence sake. I actually vape a lot more then I ever smoked! Prolly not a good thing, but still better then analogs.

May be you need a 5 minute battery? :)

That would probably be great to have a 5 minute battery that would also recharge in 45 minutes or less.

Have you tried switching to a drip-tip yet?

That's the best way to achieve the "finish" aspect you're used to with a ciggy...

2 drops will last you say 8 puffs before the flavor & vapor start to dwindle...it will also give you more of the analog feelign as you have to pull the liquid out of your pocket, drip two in...vape till dry...

I think thephoenix is right with the use of limited drops directly into your atty so it will only produce decent vaping for a shorter period versus loading the atty or using a cartomizer. That way, like an analog, the ecig will "burn out" in terms of flavor and vapor (unless you re-drip) in a short period of time. This would provide the "beginning and end" you were looking for.

I am still working on this. Yesterday, I only had 4 analogs. I did manage to go one weekend staying at my in laws house without using any analogs, and another weekend staying with friends where I only had 2 analogs over the 3 day weekend. Yesterday and today I only had one analog when I got up instead of my usual 2 or 3 before leaving for work, and when I got home I waited about an hour before I had my second of the day. It was a stressful evening with a packed schedule and when it was all done, I had 2 more in the late evening with my evening drink. Any other suggestions?

I guess the key is to find the flavor / fluid / nic strength mix that you find satisfying enough to forego analogs. I know this a challenge for the noobie to vaping.

For me, coffee flavors (ranging from cappuccino to mocha to a homespun mix of cappuccino and bailey irish creme) fit the bill and feed my other addiction (coffee). My wife loves the grape soda and Red hots. We used a variety of nic strengths ranging from 6mg through 24mg depending on the flavor to get the right "hit" to satisfy. My wife prefers the VG for the greater quantity of vapor. I get a little itchy if I have too much VG in my mixes.

If you find a vape that you really enjoy, you will prefer it to analogs.

Hey beachbum-

i know exactly what you mean. i have been vaping for 9 days or so. i am down to 1 analog/day. UNBELIEVABLE. but i havent put pressure on myself and the cigs seem to dwindle on their own. i too love the event of smoking and dig the head rush as well. while vaping comes close i haven't felt that i can completely replace either yet - though i am still new at this and trying new liquids and pv products - almost daily! i have seemingly adapted the pacifier method of vaping and it's always in my hands. maybe thats just the fear factor so i avoid having to hit a real one...? in any case it seems to be working so far.

this is a process and like any other major transition i figure it takes time. i am encouraged by the other replies to this thread - you should be too! good luck; lets stick with it and see what happens over time.

One of the posts above (sorry, forget who it was and don't want to go back to look) stated that it takes about 12-15 hits of vaping to equal one analog.

THANK YOU!!!

I think that's my problem. I have been a "low smoker" of 2-5 cigs a day for about 10 years (less before that, like just when I had a beer or something). And I just started vaping 4 days ago. I've had 2 analogs in that 4 days. But this morning (4th day)I woke up cravin something awful! I didn't think I was "addicted to nic" but...silly me. LOL. When I vape, I've only been doing it during the times I would normally have an analog and only puff about 5-6 times (Joye eGo, 18mg direct drip). So it looks like I've been "undervaping" hence why I'm getting the withdrawls.

It didn't occur to me to figure out the analog/vape equation to see what the equivalent was. Your post helped me!

Jodie

One of the posts above (sorry, forget who it was and don't want to go back to look) stated that it takes about 12-15 hits of vaping to equal one analog.

THANK YOU!!!

I think that's my problem. I have been a "low smoker" of 2-5 cigs a day for about 10 years (less before that, like just when I had a beer or something). And I just started vaping 4 days ago. I've had 2 analogs in that 4 days. But this morning (4th day)I woke up cravin something awful! I didn't think I was "addicted to nic" but...silly me. LOL. When I vape, I've only been doing it during the times I would normally have an analog and only puff about 5-6 times (Joye eGo, 18mg direct drip). So it looks like I've been "undervaping" hence why I'm getting the withdrawls.

It didn't occur to me to figure out the analog/vape equation to see what the equivalent was. Your post helped me!

Jodie

I tried on my last few analogs to count how many puffs there were.... couldn't do it! But this helps me, too!

I tried on my last few analogs to count how many puffs there were.... couldn't do it! But this helps me, too!

Thank you all for the great ideas. As they say, old habits die hard. I am not going to beat myself up for not getting off of analogs completely so far, but I am trying to at least be more aware of when and how many analogs I smoke. I found that by counting, I am smoking less and vaping more. My wife, a non smoker is vaping a little bit with me and finds that the flavors are pretty good and it reduces her fidgity tendancies with her hands if she is holding one. She is using 0 nicotine, and when I am with her now, I mostly vape instead of smoke. In the last 5 days I have only had 1 pack of analogs. When I started vaping, I was smoking a carton a week and dropped to about 4 or 5 packs a week with the vaping. With the effort, I am now down to about a pack and a half and I will keep working on it. It is funny that I do not even carry a pack with me and I no longer carry a lighter in my pocket. The only time I use the analogs now is at home. I will keep the faith and continue to work on this. It kind of motivates me that I turned my neighbors on to vaping and they have now been analog free for 5 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still new to all of this stuff, but does anyone notice that you are vaping more that you were smoking because you can vape pretty much anywhere. I really wanted to vape to quit and eventually quit vaping but I'm not sure it works that way...any suggestions?

Hi again, yes, many use vaping as a means of quitting analogs, but many others use it as an alternative to them. It depends upon your personal goals. There is no right or wrong, you musts or you shoulds. There is information on the forum that compares nicotine intake with smoking analogs, and perhaps someone will address it again here. E-liquid comes in different strengths. You can go hi or lo. Since smoking analogs has literally been banned in our society (NYC is poised to police the outdoors everywhere here...), it's a blessing that I can vape pretty much whenever and wherever I choose. I highly recommend reading what interests you on the forum and online. There are great how-to videos here, and all of us are willing to assist you in whatever way we can! Gluck!

I do think that a lot of people expect it to come naturally and i do think that for some it does. Me not so much, I often think after I go to the store I will have a cigarette, then when I am done with the store, I have to mentally NOT DO IT, if your goal is to quit analogs and vape only then I think some ppl have to work a bit.

Now, I will say the work is easier with using an Ecig, I have something to take the place of my cigarette, but there are times I have to fight with myself mentally to do the ecig instead of the analog. I think this is normal. The habit we had for however many years is still there.

I know that the longer I vape the less I want analogs, it is coming more naturally but for me it was more work to not smoke an analog.

You are vaping more because you are actually getting much less nicotine than you did with an analog, even at the highest mg strengths. So, your body is simply trying to make up for it cue-ing you to vape more. But that "urgency" feeling does decrease over time and you will find yourself vaping at a more reasonable pace. And ultimately needing less and less nicotine.

I found that initially, I was trying to use the same smoking pattern as I did with an analog. Remember, once lit, you had to smoke it down to the filter within a certain time period (because after all it was burning up). Since ecigs don't "burn up"...there you are, still vaping away for the rest of the day :smoke: LOL! Unless you empty out a cartridge...or your battery dies, you just keep going. Its takes awhile to subconsciously (and consciously)adjust to just setting it down..knowing it will still be there when you come back to it. No hurry required.

Old habits die hard. But it will happen. :wave:

I do think that a lot of people expect it to come naturally and i do think that for some it does. Me not so much, I often think after I go to the store I will have a cigarette, then when I am done with the store, I have to mentally NOT DO IT, if your goal is to quit analogs and vape only then I think some ppl have to work a bit.

Now, I will say the work is easier with using an Ecig, I have something to take the place of my cigarette, but there are times I have to fight with myself mentally to do the ecig instead of the analog. I think this is normal. The habit we had for however many years is still there.

I know that the longer I vape the less I want analogs, it is coming more naturally but for me it was more work to not smoke an analog.

And you know what's crazy... when I first got my e-cig I totally wasn't doing it to stop smoking necessarily. Sure, I was going to be happy if I cut back, but stopping smoking all together wasn't a big deal one way or the other really. Let me tell you... it was honestly the easiest transition! Within 3 days of starting regular analogs tasted horrible as you all know... and that was pretty much all it took right there. I thought, nice... this is going to be even easier than I thought, especially since analogs taste so bad now that I'm vaping! And the rest was history... I think alot of the transition has to do with your intentions/mindset going into this, but who cares if you still have a few analogs, at least your cutting back frome what you were! :thumbsup:

You realley have to want to QUITE ANALOGS first! For your Health, and everyone around you. You will feel like a New Person.