Alexza Pharma Licenses

Christopher

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.

Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc. said Thursday it licensed its Staccato nicotine technology aimed at smoking cessation to Cypress Bioscience Inc. for $5 million upfront, plus future payments.

The Staccato nicotine technology is an electronic smoking device that delivers nicotine through inhalation. It delivers nicotine by mimicking a cigarette without the health consequences of smoking cigarettes.

Under the deal, Cypress will pay $5 million upfront plus a technology transfer fee of $1 million when certain milestones are met. Also Alexza will have a carried interest of 10 percent on the net proceeds of any sale or license by Cypress of the Staccato nicotine assets.

Cypress, based in San Diego, will be responsible for preclinical, clinical and regulatory aspects of the system's development, along with commercialization. It expects to start early-stage trials of the technology in late 2011.

Shares of Alexza rose 2 cents to $2.81 and shares of Cypress fell 14 cents to $3.58 in morning trading.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9HR7JPG3.htm

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.

Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc. said Thursday it licensed its Staccato nicotine technology aimed at smoking cessation to Cypress Bioscience Inc. for $5 million upfront, plus future payments.

The Staccato nicotine technology is an electronic smoking device that delivers nicotine through inhalation. It delivers nicotine by mimicking a cigarette without the health consequences of smoking cigarettes.

Under the deal, Cypress will pay $5 million upfront plus a technology transfer fee of $1 million when certain milestones are met. Also Alexza will have a carried interest of 10 percent on the net proceeds of any sale or license by Cypress of the Staccato nicotine assets.

Cypress, based in San Diego, will be responsible for preclinical, clinical and regulatory aspects of the system's development, along with commercialization. It expects to start early-stage trials of the technology in late 2011.

Shares of Alexza rose 2 cents to $2.81 and shares of Cypress fell 14 cents to $3.58 in morning trading.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9HR7JPG3.htm

2011!?!!

Start in 2011!!!

Not sure what to make of that. Sounds like we may be heading down the road of "drug delivery device".

Yes that definitely seems what the company is going for. Especially with the test trials. My guess is they're going to market this as an NRT product rather than a casual product.

Yes that definitely seems what the company is going for. Especially with the test trials. My guess is they're going to market this as an NRT product rather than a casual product.

Making it a controlled pharmaceutical that you can only get with a doctors prescription? And probably with a very low amount of nicotine in a pre-filled cartridge?

The greed in this country's government is beyond sickening. They are nosey and controlling.

Making it a controlled pharmaceutical that you can only get with a doctors prescription? And probably with a very low amount of nicotine in a pre-filled cartridge?

The greed in this country's government is beyond sickening. They are nosey and controlling.

I agree. But I don't think this will be via prescription (although I'm only guessing here) It will probably over the counter much like Nicorette is. From a market stand point that would make the most sense.