Wrong Or Defective Charger, Or Bad Luck?

I bought a 510 USB charger from a site which I don't think I should name. I put it in the charger and went outside for a couple hours like I've done many times in the past. When I came back, the kitchen cabinet and the wall

next to it were covered with black. It looked like the battery got so hot, the black paint melted on the side of the battery and turned to powder. I'm guessing the LED cover shot into the the wall and turned to black powder due to the inside air heating. Luckily it wasn't pointed where it would shoot into the living room and hit my TV or cause a fire on the rug. After cleaning it up, I have to fix what looks like 2 bullet holds in the side countertop and where the LED originally was and where it shot.

Thinking about it, is it possible I got a Mega Charger instead of a regular one? I spoke to the owner and they offered to replace the charger at no extra cost. I got an apology for a bad charger. (I did put another battery in it under supervision, and it got extremely hot in 2 minutes, so it's not the battery.) They say it was the correct charger. I'd be afraid to use this type of charger again. I never used Mega supplies, and the directions don't really say what type it's for. Like most directions I get, it looks like made from an online translator.

Any thoughts or answers are appreciated.

With the 510's the regular charger and the mega charger are the same (to the best of my knowledge). I know the ego charger says not to use with 510 batteries.

sounds like a very, very defective charger. Its probably not the suppliers fault (but should definitely replace it), sometimes duds do come through. I'm really sorry about the damage--and thank goodness it wasn't worse !!!

Its frustrating when you lose parts through no fault of your own.

I'll burn my second to last post with my input for safety sake. I believe an ego should be able to charge off the EGO fast charger, the USB 510 charger just slower, and a 510 wall unit with the extension found at TW. On the other hand, a 510 should not be charged with the Ego fast charger. I believe the difference is the regular USB 510 chargers are 150-200 ma output. The fast chargers are 400-500 ma output and that will fry a 510. Can you read the little sticker on it? I'm also referencing my post earlier on the subject here. There is a blurb that you can't use an 510 charger on an ego battery but I'm pretty sure that's not true (I do it all the time).

Second to last post, FTJoe?

Unless you have an adapter, you can't charge an eGo battery on a 510 charger. I have the adapters and used them for a long time with no problems. I'm guessing - because I've never tried it - that you can put a regular 510 battery on the eGo charger, they do warn you that the battery will explode if you, so there must be a reason they warn you. I've never had something like that happen with a battery. I'm sure sorry you did. That's awful.

It reads IN DC 5V 1000mA Output DC 3.85V

I only have regular 510 batteries, they are not Ego or Mega.

Had to just vent here on what happened. Maybe warn that everyone should monitor the charger the 1st time they use

it. Thanks for the replies, unless the above gives the info on what kind of charger it is, I have to figure it was a mega or Ego charger sent by mistake.

Emailing the supplier, he can find no other chargers that were labeled that way. He believes it was put in the shipment in error. Working with FTJoe, he doesn't think any chargers are above 500 ma; if anyone can identify it, the label is in the gallery, link below. As you will see, it says 1000.

Also thanks to him for reminding me to update the thread to warn others to check the chargers they get.

http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/forum/gallery/album/1461/109-510/

• 2 months later...

Product Recall!:

I must've been the first this happened to, I received this email today. The photo in the email is almost identical to the one I put in the pictures folder here:

URGENT: Manufacturer Recall

Dear Valued Customer,

We are contacting you because our records indicate you may have purchased a product that has been recalled by the manufacturer. There has been a recall on the corded USB Chargers that are for DSE901 and 510 as they may cause battery to overheat. These chargers all have the following label on the back:

IN: DC 5V ----- 1000mA

OUTPUT: DC 3.85V ---- 1000mA

If you have one of these chargers please discontinue use immediately and reply to this email for a replacement and return information.

• 2 months later...

Hi Gang!

gotta question, how many of you use the 10 slot 510 charger? It seems like after I started using it I have lost all my 510's! None of them work any more. I now have 5 - 510 paperweights. I am pissed. 2 of them were older, but 1 was less then 6 months old and 2 were less than 3 months old. So now I have no batteries to use, the only thing I am using is my passssthru. I tried getting a couple of 1 amp wall units to power it I now have 4 more paper weights... this is BS... I can't afford this, I am on a fixed income, disability, and I have spent way much more than I could really afford to try and make this work. I have a lot of other stuff that goes with it, the nic juice, flavors etc. What in hell happened?

Sandy

Elayna - I would say 3-6 months is probably pretty good life on those batteries. They only have a limited number charges they can take. Being smaller batteries, you have to charge them more often.

However, you may want to try cleaning the contact points on the battery and the charger to make sure you're getting a good connection. Eliquid can build up pretty bad and cause a bad connection.

As for the multi battery charger, I've never heard of anyone using that. I've seen them around, but never heard anyone talk about using one.

Elayna - I would say 3-6 months is probably pretty good life on those batteries. They only have a limited number charges they can take. Being smaller batteries, you have to charge them more often.

However, you may want to try cleaning the contact points on the battery and the charger to make sure you're getting a good connection. Eliquid can build up pretty bad and cause a bad connection.

As for the multi battery charger, I've never heard of anyone using that. I've seen them around, but never heard anyone talk about using one.

I tried everything I could find on cleaning to resetting the batteries. And, I don't vape that much, and I was wrong on the time frame. One set was 2 months old, the 2nd set was less than one month old. I am fighting with one of the vendors now, I won't name them yet. I ordered a KR808 350 ohm battery w/lifetime garantee yesterday. I also got an 808 to 510 adapter from TW so I can use my XL 510 C2's. I like those, they're mini map tanks. The multicharger is going back to the vendor for a refund. I spoke with another supplier here in town and when I told him about the muticharger, I heard ohoh in his voice, so I guess they're really not a good thing to use. Lesson learned. Will only use the USB and wall units to charge my batts from now on. I will get a 10 port electrical surge protected outlet to use. I use one with my computer. BTW, Thanks to everyone that has answered any and all of my questions and comments!

I tried everything I could find on cleaning to resetting the batteries. And, I don't vape that much, and I was wrong on the time frame. One set was 2 months old, the 2nd set was less than one month old. I am fighting with one of the vendors now, I won't name them yet. I ordered a KR808 350 ohm battery w/lifetime garantee yesterday. I also got an 808 to 510 adapter from TW so I can use my XL 510 C2's. I like those, they're mini map tanks. The multicharger is going back to the vendor for a refund. I spoke with another supplier here in town and when I told him about the muticharger, I heard ohoh in his voice, so I guess they're really not a good thing to use. Lesson learned. Will only use the USB and wall units to charge my batts from now on. I will get a 10 port electrical surge protected outlet to use. I use one with my computer. BTW, Thanks to everyone that has answered any and all of my questions and comments!

I'm glad you were able to get though and didn't give up on vaping. That terrible about the multi charger - hope the vendor makes thing right.

I'm glad you were able to get though and didn't give up on vaping. That terrible about the multi charger - hope the vendor makes thing right.

Thanks! Already emailed them and told them what happened, they told me i could return the charger for a refund. Wont get me my 510's back but we'll see if the vendors will be good about it.