I Added A Hole In A 901 Atty

StringDancer

OK, one of the questions I've seen posted here and there concerns the DSE901 atomizers. They have a single air hole in the barrel... stop the hole with your finger and you can't draw it, so obviously that hole is the sole source of air for the device. The question has often been raised as to whether adding another hole would improve performance, but I don't recall hearing of anyone trying it on a working 901 atty. Intrepid jackass that I am, I decided to rip into a perfectly good 901 atty with my drill press and report the results.

I adjusted the whistle-style mouthpiece so that the flat plane of the mouthpiece aligned with the original airhole, which helped me eyeball my target location on the opposite side of the barrel. I scribed my target on the barrel, set up a very small drill bit in my drill press, secured the barrel in a drill press vice, threw plenty of light on my work, centered the barrel to the drill, and gently deployed the drill bit to the barrel of the 901 atty. The drill wanted to drift off to the side, of course, but I figured if I went real slow and gave the bit time to get started, I could avoid taking a pointed awl and hammer to establish the centerpoint for the drill bit, which I thought might damage the atty worse than drilling it a new *** would. I was right... by going real easy, the drill bit gained a bit of traction and got itself started in the barrel. I gently pressed into the barrel until I heard the drill break through the casing. I immediately eased up on the handle of the press, blew off the scrap metal shavings, and remounted the atty to the batt and gave it a tug. Fortunately, it produced a hit. I had done no damage... but did my experiment improve anything?

Yes, the modified 901 draws easier. Figured it would.

But does it improve vapor production, which was the whole point of the task? Not a bit, in fact two holes seems to produce less vapor (with less throat) than it does when I stop the added airhole with my finger.

So the answer is in -- adding a second airhole to a DSE901 atty does nothing to improve vapor, but it is an easier draw. I'll be taping over the hole I added and let the atty serve out its life.

Those clever Chinese apparently figured out the perfect amount of air the 901 atty wants to see for maximum vapor and throat. You can't beat science and good design, usually. But it was fun trying. :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

MMMM.... this sounds interesting as i feel like i am having to draw to hard on mine. Not really trying to lose vapor or throat hit though,

Usually, if the draw is getting hard on a 901 atty, it needs to be cleaned. Build up of reduced liquid can impede airflow. All the (SLB) 901 atomizers I've ever used that were in proper working order almost had too light of a draw.

Usually, if the draw is getting hard on a 901 atty, it needs to be cleaned. Build up of reduced liquid can impede airflow. All the (SLB) 901 atomizers I've ever used that were in proper working order almost had too light of a draw.

It seems clean and to be working as designed. It would just be nice if you could get the full drag in less than a second like an analog.

Try a DSE601 (E-pipe) :P That'll give you a full drag in about a second! :lol:

Really?mmmm gonna have to look into that. I dont know how i feel about using a "pipe"though. My family is already looking at me like a crack head. What is the difference ? How does it deliver the vapor faster?

Really?mmmm gonna have to look into that. I dont know how i feel about using a "pipe"though. My family is already looking at me like a crack head. What is the difference ? How does it deliver the vapor faster?

The DSE601 (I don't sell 'em but I own one :D) has a very wide atomizer, a fat battery, and a very "airy" draw. Not only that but it looks classy as hell with all the gold and glossy rosewood (it's real wood, yo). If you take a 5 second drag, when you exhale, it looks like you're smoking a hookah!!

The reason it seems to make it create less vapor is because of how fast that you are pulling air out of it. It doesn't actually change the vapor production by atomizer but makes it "less focused" I guess you could say. I'm glad you decided to expirement and do it though, you might have saved a lot of people some time, effort, and possible injury, :lol:. If you want the vapor production to come back on that one or improve on another atomizer you could just tape over or somehow seel over one of the holes the atomizer has.