Why Get A 5V?

Rook

So I've been vaping for a little while now. Started out with a 901, thought it was pretty good. But didn't REALLY get into it until I got my first 510 kit. For the past few months I've been very content with that. But recently decided to see what else is out there. I've looked at a TON of different devices, mods, attys, etc and was wondering... What's the advantage of having a high voltage device (5v, 6v, whatever) when you can just have a 3.7 device with a low res atomizer? Don't they work out to about the same output?

I just ordered a new 3.7 device so I can try out the low res attys. But I still kinda want to try a 5v passthrough. Not sure I want to have to keep a bunch of different attys around though. What you guys think?

lr is not identical to the vaper of a 5v. also the lr will burn out faster.

are you intrested in making your own 5v mod? if so i can give you a parts list and you can choose what to toss all that stuff into.

also. batteries matter a lot. say you have a stock 180mAh 3.7v like most come with. stepping up to say something like 14500 that has the same 3.7v but the flow of power is steady.

fully charge a 510 battery and vape is nothing like my single 14500 battery. it is at the least 2 times more vaper. sometimes it actually chokes me.

in short higher volts = more vaper = more flavor = super happy.

Yeah, actually the device I just ordered is a 3.7v box mod that uses a 14500 (ordered from madvapes). Can't wait to try it. I'll probably order an inexpensive 5v passthrough so I can experiment a bit with the higher voltage.

Generally speaking, will a low res atty on a 3.7v device burn out faster than a regular atty on a 5v?

Yeah, actually the device I just ordered is a 3.7v box mod that uses a 14500 (ordered from madvapes). Can't wait to try it. I'll probably order an inexpensive 5v passthrough so I can experiment a bit with the higher voltage.

Generally speaking, will a low res atty on a 3.7v device burn out faster than a regular atty on a 5v?

if both were built identical, in relation to quality, yes.

for a while i had to use only the mouth piece and a cut usb cord to vape. both stock batteries blew the same day. usb is 5v @ .5amp.

i have been using the same 3 attys for over 80 days.

as soon as i say this i know all three will blow, but, i don't understand all the fuss about attys and how people say they only last a month or two. maybe its because i split mine up on usage? my silver atty that i scraped off all the paint on is the one i tend to always use though.. so *shrugs*.

just a bit of info that i read; the 14500s *maybe the others also* rated when fully charged can/will(?) put out up to 4.(something) i think it was 4.7v at it's peak charge.

found that bit of info on a flashlight forum.

no idea what the duration of that voltage is, could just be the initial spike of power.

if you want to run 5v you can run two of them and get a freebie 5v regular as a sample from texas instruments

I vape 6V and it's all about the quantity of vapor and the TH. I could no more go back to 3.7V now than I could push my car to work. It just wouldn't happen. I use a regular 510 atty on my 6V devices. I've tried LR atty at 3.7V and while it's a great alternative Jolly's right that they do not last as long and I found they'd get a really nasty taste built up rather quickly. Still, a decent alternative to a more expensive 6V device.

With 6V I've taken to using my own liquid mixes because I can tweak the VG content to my satisfaction. That pushes up the vapor production and smoothes out the vapor, but does counteract flavor a bit.

High voltage might not be for everyone but I sure could never go back. Good luck with your experiments!

I am a big fan of the LR attys. I havn't had any problems with nasty taste or short lived attys as some users claim. Nothin but clouds of vapor and great kick. I have been using a homade passthrough that uses 6 volts and that works great too but by having such good luck with LR attys I will stick with 3.7 volts. I can't see why there are so many complaints about these attys. Was there a bad batch or something? No complaints here.

I am a big fan of the LR attys. I havn't had any problems with nasty taste or short lived attys as some users claim. Nothin but clouds of vapor and great kick. I have been using a homade passthrough that uses 6 volts and that works great too but by having such good luck with LR attys I will stick with 3.7 volts. I can't see why there are so many complaints about these attys. Was there a bad batch or something? No complaints here.

I don't know why, but I haven't had good luck with the LR attys. I've had them die after a couple of hours, one day, 3 days, one week, and two weeks. Two weeks is the most I've gotten out of any of them. I've kept buying them because I love them, but I don't know that I'll buy any more because I just can't keep doing this. It's extremely frustrating and costs too much.

I don't know why, but I haven't had good luck with the LR attys. I've had them die after a couple of hours, one day, 3 days, one week, and two weeks. Two weeks is the most I've gotten out of any of them. I've kept buying them because I love them, but I don't know that I'll buy any more because I just can't keep doing this. It's extremely frustrating and costs too much.

I feel for you. Don't know why this could be happening to you. I have 5 LR attys from 2 different suppliers and only lost 1 after a couple of weeks. It's been over 2 months and the rest are fine. I use them all but there is one that I use more than the others and it still works great after 2 months. This is why I wonder if there is a bad batch out there. I expect one out of five to die sudenly but not 5 out of 5.

My attys come from nhaler and vapor talk store. They are very reliable.

I'm with Dave on this one. I use 510s at 6V and recently started using a BE112 (801) and it's working out well also. When I'm driving, I use a carto, but also at 6V. I can't see going back to 3.7V. I did try two LR attys when they first came out, but didn't care for them.

I'm with Dave on this one. I use 510s at 6V and recently started using a BE112 (801) and it's working out well also. When I'm driving, I use a carto, but also at 6V. I can't see going back to 3.7V. I did try two LR attys when they first came out, but didn't care for them.

Although I swear by the LR attys I am not against high volt devices. I've made a couple from scratch that deliver just over 5 volts. They have since been abused and destroyed and I don't want to make another. They were rather large and ugly looking. I was wondering what kind of device you and Dave are using. Some day I'd like to get a well made HV pv.

It's too bad you can't buy a unit that runs at 4.5-4.7 volts... (or can you?) because that sure is a great setting on my Buzz. I rarely NEED to change it from that area.

Edited by DAYVAPE

I feel for you. Don't know why this could be happening to you. I have 5 LR attys from 2 different suppliers and only lost 1 after a couple of weeks. It's been over 2 months and the rest are fine. I use them all but there is one that I use more than the others and it still works great after 2 months. This is why I wonder if there is a bad batch out there. I expect one out of five to die sudenly but not 5 out of 5.

My attys come from nhaler and vapor talk store. They are very reliable.

I've used LR attys from 5 different suppliers and have had the same luck with all of them. The first batch I got from TW lasted the longest at 2 weeks each, but I just got some from them last week and have already gone through 3 of them, so they aren't lasting as long this time. I do vape quite a bit, so that may be the answer.

Although I swear by the LR attys I am not against high volt devices. I've made a couple from scratch that deliver just over 5 volts. They have since been abused and destroyed and I don't want to make another. They were rather large and ugly looking. I was wondering what kind of device you and Dave are using. Some day I'd like to get a well made HV pv.

I know you didn't ask for my opinion here, but I have to say if you are wanting a really great HV pv, you have to get the Silver Bullet. I have the black one and it is fantastic!!! You can use it at 3.7v, 5v (with the extra PT you can purchase), or at 6v. I haven't used the 6v very much, but I love it at 5v and 3.7v. Brian also has the BSB (his recommendation is why I got one), so he can tell you more about using it at 6v.

Yep, what nana said; Brian's vaping 6V on his SB and presumably the Omega. I'm using Phidius Woodimus and a Saber at 6V. Woody has been the most consistent device I've used yet; I've been using it for nearly six months now with no problems, which I sure didn't expect when I got it.

It's too bad you can't buy a unit that runs at 4.5-4.7 volts... (or can you?) because that sure is a great setting on my Buzz. I rarely NEED to change it from that area.

I've read that a lot of the "5V" passthroughs actually run right around 4.5-4.7v. But I haven't heard of a battery operated PV that does, aside from the devices like the Buzz.

Yep Mike - Dave and Nana covered it pretty good. :) I have a SB. I also have the SB/PT and use it with an enercell adapter that you can switch between 3, 5, 6, 6.5, 7 and 7.5V. I also have an Omega and a Joker. I am looking forward to the Joker2 upgrade for veri-volt. 510 attys have been hit and miss at 6V so I'm hoping if I drop voltage a little it'll be a little more consistent.

As everyone know, it's all a matter of personal preference and finding what works for you. Some poeple love LR attys, some don't. Some people love HV, some don't. For me, trying so many different things has been half the fun of vaping. :)

Edited by Brian

You can get a Fistpack that has a range of 4.3 to 5 volt. Also Janty has been talking about making a Baby J that is 4.5 volt.

Thanks for all the good info. I think Brian said it best. "Trying so many different things has been half the fun of vaping" -for me too. I'm happy at 3.7 but this doesn't mean you won't catch me with a 5 or 6 volt device. If it works for you, that's all that matters.

still no cravings for anologs

I don't need one now... but before I found the Buzz, I woulda been all over one! :thumbsup:

It sounds like Notcigs VVPV is going to be the next mod that a lot of people will want. It's going to be a rechargeable, selectable volt mod with juice pump. It's going to have a 10 position switch instead of a variable pot. It should appeal to people who are intimidated about using a multimeter.

It sounds like Notcigs VVPV is going to be the next mod that a lot of people will want. It's going to be a rechargeable, selectable volt mod with juice pump. It's going to have a 10 position switch instead of a variable pot. It should appeal to people who are intimidated about using a multimeter.

I have a strange feeling that my "collection" of PV's will be extremely large by the time I'm all done! :thumbsup: