portable power supply

I went to radio shack to see if they had portable supplies that would work for my usb passthru. They had 1 by a company called Lemar for 20 bucks, it is 5v 2.5mwh I am wondering if this is powerful enough to use on our ecigs? It is a lithium ion and says it will power iphones and ipods.

Edited by Stryder2

Ya, the 5 volts should be more than sufficient. I don't quite remember now but, I am pretty sure that just about all e-cig batteries put out 3.5 - 3.7 volts. So a 5 volt battery pack should be more than fine, in fact it might just make your atomizer produce a little more vapor than you are used to because of the extra voltage. Worse comes worst is that it doesn't work but, if you just keep your reciept I am sure you can return it and get your money back (that is as long as you don't damage it). So why not, I say go for it and let us know what happens. Hey even if it doesn't work and you can't return it, you'll only be out 20 bucks right.

Ya, the 5 volts should be more than sufficient. I don't quite remember now but, I am pretty sure that just about all e-cig batteries put out 3.5 - 3.7 volts. So a 5 volt battery pack should be more than fine, in fact it might just make your atomizer produce a little more vapor than you are used to because of the extra voltage. Worse comes worst is that it doesn't work but, if you just keep your reciept I am sure you can return it and get your money back (that is as long as you don't damage it). So why not, I say go for it and let us know what happens. Hey even if it doesn't work and you can't return it, you'll only be out 20 bucks right.

Thanks for the info I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work for my ecig it should work for my cell phone or my mother in laws ipod. Since I like her I'll only charge her $25 for it LOL :lol:

I bought the exact thing ur talkin about for my usb passthrough. Heres what happened... I had three batteries in total for my dse103. One battery got a lil wet, I dried it out and it worked alright, not as good as new but it worked. Eventually the pressure switch got stuck and i tried blowing in it and sucking and everything and nothin. Its stuck. Tried pokin it with a safety pin, and broke the switch alltogether. ONE DOWN 2 TO GO!!! You've prolly seen my battery mod, where i painted it black and changed the LED from orange to blue. Was workin great, then LED was gettin shaky and I had to play with the tip to get it to light so I tried re-doing my soddering. Accidentally soddere + to the side of the casing and wound up shorting something. TWO DOWN 1 TO GO. The last battery still works and i refuse to take it apart. So I bought a LENMAR portable phone charger and tried it with my passthrough. It SUCKED. It worked but just wasnt pushing enough voltage to get a throat hit at all or enough vapor for me. Plus 3 second cutoff didnt even give it a chance. So i made my own passthrough without the cable so i could have a lil hand held battery with a switch. WORKS GREAT. After a couple of days of that, i took apart the battery and ripped out the usb input plug. Soddered the switch and atomizer screw in piece thingy inside the battery and VOILA. Handheld SUPER BATTERY for the ecig. Its really small. comfortable in the hand, and it works. Best of all, it lasts about 10-12 hours. Ill make a post with pics and stuff. I didnt take pics while making it(prolly shouldve) but I'll show you guys all the parts and everything you need for this to work.

• 2 weeks later...

im not too sure but i believe a usb power supply should output at least 1000ma to power a passthrough to effectively power the atomizer. mah is the capacity; what you need to know is the ma (output)your power supply delivers. if your passthrough came with a built-in battery (usb charges the battery then battery powers the atomizer), then a power supply with a lower ma might work. i personally use an APC Mobile power pack i bought off ebay for $30 and works great.