Charging My Batteries While Camping

I'm going to be camping for a week next month and will have limited access to electricity. I have the regular 510's and was wondering if a pcc could be charged in my car cig lighter. I have a car charger with a usb connection but I don't know if that will work. I really don't want to be forced into "cold turkey" so I'm open to any suggestions.

I'm going to be camping for a week next month and will have limited access to electricity. I have the regular 510's and was wondering if a pcc could be charged in my car cig lighter. I have a car charger with a usb connection but I don't know if that will work. I really don't want to be forced into "cold turkey" so I'm open to any suggestions.

Well, if you have the funds, I would just buy a plug in unit... the VPPT would do it for sure... definitely reliable and makes those atty's sweat! LOL

Hey Gypsyladee,

I have used the car cig lighter to charge my 510pcc, however it does take quite a while from the car. Usually takes around 2 hours, so you may want to get a passthru. Whatever passthru you get, make sure your car cig ligher USB adapter puts out 5volts, and the best put out 5volts and 5amps. You can pick them up at many suppliers, here on the forum, or at Target and Walmart. Check the package for the ratings.

There are also portable power packs out there, but they tend to be pricey. There are some great posts here that have links, but for the life of me I can't find em tonight.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by Hawk

Hey Gypsyladee,

I have used the car cig lighter to charge my 510pcc, however it does take quite a while from the car. Usually takes around 2 hours, so you may want to get a passthru. Whatever passthru you get, make sure your car cig ligher USB adapter puts out 5volts, and the best put out 5volts and 5amps. You can pick them up at many suppliers, here on the forum, or at Target and Walmart. Check the package for the ratings.

There are also portable power packs out there, but they tend to be pricey. There are some great posts here that have links, but for the life of me I can't find em tonight.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for this info cause I've been trying to search on this one too with no luck. I do have a passthrough so I really appreciate the info on the 5volt/5amps. I never would have know about that. Also curious about what a vppt is.

Edited by gypsyladee

Wal-Mart, best buy and Fry's all carry the car chargers that will go to your battery charger. However, If this were me, I think I would prefer the PCC as a charging source for portability. I would also consider buying a second PCC so I am spend more time hugging trees than idling my carbon monoxide factory. :rolleyes2:

Becoming more and more popular are solar battery packs. I have a few for charging. No good for a PT but should get the job done. Just saw a nice big one for $20. Point is its portable, keep the PCC plugged in and IF you have sun, should be good. Even if not, should be good for a while (the solar charges an internal battery which charges your externals. Something like this (no idea on reviews). usually you can charge with a USB and the solar keeps it topped off...

http://www.buy.com/prod/lenmar-powerport-ppus20-usb-solar-battery-charger-5v-dc-mini-usb/q/loc/111/211047430.html

I also have tons of these little things

http://www.amazon.com/Lenmar-PowerPort-Mini-Where-Charger/dp/B00178NHYU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1274179768&sr=8-6

The red and pink ones are cheap, charge and keep handy.

When I went camping, over all my PCC being charged in the car worked great. I would just charge it while were out driving aroung, usually will recharge about 4 510's before I need to recharge the case.

I also have a car adapter that you can plug standard plug equipment into, has a surge protector. works great--I'm pretty sure I got that one a walmart.

In a week, with intermittent charging the PCC didn't let me down.

happy vaping while camping

I have some car chargers that I'll give you if you just pay for shipping. I have a couple that I am able to just give away. Contact me VIA pm if your interested

If you go to my site and go to the bottom of the products page, its the car charger right there.

Input, DC12v-24v

Output, DC5v +/- 5%

Max, 1000 mA

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I really didn't realize all of the options were out there, esp. the solar power packs. I looked thru my stash of old car chargers and found a 5 volt/5 amp usb that I used for my blackberry. I never would have known what I was looking for if not for your suggestions. Definitely going to get a PCC and take my pst since I will be driving around quite a bit seeing the sites. It's my annual trek to Door County in Wisconsin and it's beautiful up there. Lots of "tree hugging" (love that one), beaches, boats, wineries and shopping so I should have drive time for charging. Going to check on that solar pack too, since I sure hope there will be lots of sun.

I have some car chargers that I'll give you if you just pay for shipping. I have a couple that I am able to just give away. Contact me VIA pm if your interested

If you go to my site and go to the bottom of the products page, its the car charger right there.

Input, DC12v-24v

Output, DC5v +/- 5%

Max, 1000 mA

+1 for the wonderful generosity Joshua! That's what makes VT and vapers generally so grand in my book! thumbsup.gif

+1 for the wonderful generosity Joshua! That's what makes VT and vapers generally so grand in my book! thumbsup.gif

I really appreciate your offer but I just found 2 I totally forgot about. Thanks so much!

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I really didn't realize all of the options were out there, esp. the solar power packs. I looked thru my stash of old car chargers and found a 5 volt/5 amp usb that I used for my blackberry. I never would have known what I was looking for if not for your suggestions. Definitely going to get a PCC and take my pst since I will be driving around quite a bit seeing the sites. It's my annual trek to Door County in Wisconsin and it's beautiful up there. Lots of "tree hugging" (love that one), beaches, boats, wineries and shopping so I should have drive time for charging. Going to check on that solar pack too, since I sure hope there will be lots of sun.

Sounds fun, I'm jealous...my wife is from the Green Bay area originally and I must say Wisconsin does have some beautiful forests.

I should have drive time for charging. Going to check on that solar pack too, since I sure hope there will be lots of sun.

Yeah - most cars have a port somewhere that stays live even if you aren't driving. Draw shouldn't be too much to kill the battery. I have two of these, seemed to work fine (of course was in AZ at the time, sun not an issue. The one I linked to earlier happened to come up on a deal site. Remember, these are just batteries, charge via usb at first, then the sun provides a trickle charge at not effort or cost to you (I believe even ambient light will work). Just not sure how much of a charge you will get from it butthe mah on them seems poretty decent.