Massachusetts Local Law

Mike

I was in a local bar to see a friends band. The Owner always chews on an unlit cigar when he is in the club. So I pulled out my e-cig and started chewing on it in front of him in a joking manner. He said "I just got something in the mail about those things". He showed me a paper from the Board of Health that reads in part:

"the use of e-cigarettes is hereby prohibited in Taunton in locations and sestblishments convered by M>G>L. Ch. 270, Sec 22(commononly known as the "Smoke-free Warkplace Law") and in aditional locations and establishments covered by any regulation or ordinace pertaining to the use of tobacco procucts in Taunton. etc. etc. BS, BS.

He informed me that it is now illeagle to use them anywhere that regular cigaretts cannot be used.

In the same breath he said go ahead, I don't care. And he is aginst this even though he has no intrest in vaping. He is all P.O. because the are going to discontinue his brand of cigar because too many people are using them for blunts(marijana). And how cigarette, cigar, and pipe tobbacco prices are going through the roof.

This paper states the vote was done on March 2, 2010

It says it goes into effect on April 1, 2010

And he received it on May 3, 2010

communities affected in Massachusettes include:

Berkley, Dighton, Fall River, Somerset, Swansea, Taunton, Westport.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

some possible reasons for this ban:

lack of interest in reasonable research on the actual activity or contents of any byproduct...there's a cloud of "smoke" produced, "that must be dangerously offensive to someone."...ban.

lack of understanding, smoking cigarettes will kill you. vaping is probably not as dangerous, but not nearly as myopically scrutinized as tobacco has been. the research is not there. those that have chosen to engage themselves in the act of vaping are (i hope) not holding a lit cigarette in the other hand. some people just do not *see* this. these people do not seem to understand that we have either stopped, or are trying to stop, using tobacco products for our own reasons, in our own way. we may choose to vape instead of smoke because we see it as a viable alternative that we have some control over. some people see- hand to mouth, inhale... exhale>cloud=smoking. the stigma of tobacco is so strong to these people that the only perception possible is that "this is a vile and deadly thing that should be immediately squashed before my children see"...ban

what about our children? i ask this in all seriousness, when we are proffered a myriad of alternatives that do not seem to work completely for us, and we find something that can potentially end our personal servitude to tobacco thus giving us more and better time with our children, why would someone want to take it away?

i can think of a couple of reasons, not good ones though.

land of the free, home of the brave indeed.