Flavoring

Kragax

I have been investigating flavorings. I found out that Loranns is oil based and others like Bickford are water based. Is on preferable over the other. I read somewhere not to use oil base but, I may be wrong. any advise?

I think oil based ones like citrus mess up atties.I have not had much luck with the ones from the grocery store.They don't seem to be concentrated enough and to get the flavor to pop you have too large a percentage of flavoring and I don't think it tastes very good.

Hope I can help. Some Lorann's are oil based, but most are not. Somewhere out there is a list of all the Lorann's flavors showing which are appropriate for DIY liquid. I use Lorann's quite a bit, because they're among the most concentrated flavors there are. (This is not the list I was thinking of, but gives much the same Lorran's information.)

Another good, concentrated flavor is Flavour Art. This is sold in the US by Liberty Flights. See JeffB's thread below for info on current availability. I like their tobacco flavors quite a lot.

One of my favorite suppliers is Perfumer's Apprentice. They have introduced a nice line of flavors for vapers. I'm about to make another order from PA because some of their stuff is simply out of this world. Note that they're not as concentrated as Lorran's; they make up for this by being (my opinion) very clear and well made. I can't recommend them enough.

I've also used Fairie's Finest, which are nice but not very strong (to my taste) so I haven't used any of them more than once. Other successful DIYers swear by them though. Perhaps my taste buds aren't very well developed. :)

What's true for all brands of flavoring is that some by the same manufacturer are stronger than others. This is a kind of trial and error process, but it's fun.

My most important recommendation is that when you're experimenting mixing flavors, do your taste testing with 0 nic base. That way when you go "Oh Awful!" you won't be throwing away valuable nicotine. ;) Good luck and have fun! Once you get a few successes under your belt you probably won't buy commercial liquid very often again.

One of my favorite suppliers is Perfumer's Apprentice. They have introduced a nice line of flavors for vapers. I'm about to make another order from PA because some of their stuff is simply out of this world. Note that they're not as concentrated as Lorran's; they make up for this by being (my opinion) very clear and well made. I can't recommend them enough.

I just received my first order from Perfumer's Apprentice last night. I'm still waiting for my nicotine base, but I may have to make some small batches of 0nic juice to try them out, they definitely smell promising. Have you tried the Sweetener or Ethyl Maltol they sell? I picked up some of each along with some Menthol crystals too.

Flavoring also works very will with the premixed flavors to create a new flavor or just spice it up a bit for a change.

always try to start mixing in small amounts to avoid wasting liquid.

https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors-candy-oils.aspx

if you scroll down and look under the desired flavor and click the item detail, it will tell you if it is water soluble. avoid oil (I know it says candy oils, but many are water soluble). I also as a general rule avoid the ones with very dark color (artificial).

I just received my first order from Perfumer's Apprentice last night. I'm still waiting for my nicotine base, but I may have to make some small batches of 0nic juice to try them out, they definitely smell promising. Have you tried the Sweetener or Ethyl Maltol they sell? I picked up some of each along with some Menthol crystals too.

I have not tried the sweetener or ethyl maltol, so I'll look forward to your opinion. I've read somewhere that marshmallow is essentially ethyl maltol, and I have used Lorann's marshmallow before to top stuff off with great success. Let's hear what you find out!

I'm not a menthol vaper but my brother is, and I recently tried my first hand a making him some menthol juice. It wasn't a total success but he said the menthol was just right. Need to try some FA tobaccos to see if any of those work better.

Here's an experience that might be valuable though. I tried to dissolve the menthol in VG, and for several days nothing was happening. My brother suggested warming the liquid, and danged if that didn't work! The menthol dissolved in minutes in warm VG. But when the VG cooled overnight, the crystals separated out and floated to the top (I learned to store the bottle tip-down ;)). He says that has not happened when it's mixed in with other stuff to make the juice, so I guess that's a plus. Just an early observation.

Thanks for the info. I checked to see about water soulability with the Lorann's and ordered a couple that I want to experiment with. Slipping into Mad Scientist mode.

Thanks for the info. I checked to see about water soulability with the Lorann's and ordered a couple that I want to experiment with. Slipping into Mad Scientist mode.

Which flavors did you get? One of my favorites is Black Licorice, that mixed with a little Salt Water Taffy and a dash of Marshmallow is pretty tasty in my opinion, but I know that is not a flavor everyone enjoys. Also the Champagne mixes well with lot's of other flavors.

Champagne is a good one. I also use the pina colada, butter rum, english toffee and peach.

Saltwater taffy sounds good.

I love mad scientist mode. I find creating new flavors very satisfying.

Champagne is a good one. I also use the pina colada, butter rum, english toffee and peach.

Saltwater taffy sounds good.

I love mad scientist mode. I find creating new flavors very satisfying.

I can't seem to get my English Toffee to taste right, going to try it again with some sweetener I think, it just tasted dry to me before.

Which flavors did you get? One of my favorites is Black Licorice, that mixed with a little Salt Water Taffy and a dash of Marshmallow is pretty tasty in my opinion, but I know that is not a flavor everyone enjoys. Also the Champagne mixes well with lot's of other flavors.

I ordered cherry, rootbbeer, and orange cream. We'll see what happens. (insert evil laughter)

I usually use the english toffee as a background flavor

4ml coffee flavored liquid, .2ml(6 drops) english toffee, 1ml Flavourart Tiramisu or apple pie flavoring. I have just recently started adding a bit of VG to my creations for sweetness. I also add few drops of menthol to all my flavors. doesn't taste like menthol, but really seems to enchance the flavor and add a nice cool throat hit.

Kragax--you'll have to let me know how the orange cream tastes. Soon you will have mixing stuff everywhere !!!