Hv Vaping And Flavor

So I just updated my review of the Magnum 510 atty and thought I'd start another thread about the burning taste with HV vaping. If you haven't heard of this atty yet, it's a 510 with a lower resistance (1.5 ohm) that simulates 5 volt vaping. At 1.5 ohms it generates about 9 watts. I use my regular 510 at 3.7v and use the 302 on my VP/PT at 5v. With the 302 at 5V I do occasionally get some burnt taste, but never real bad. However, with the magnum attty at 3.7 I get 3-4 good hits and then total crap burn taste. At first I assumed it was just using up all the juice in 3-4 hits, but after several repeats of of this I got a massive leak and when I blew out the atty I was shocked at how much juice came out. Now, I've heard this is normal for HV vaping, but wanted to get some other opinions. I know many of you use the 510 on the VP/PT, do you have this problems? Also know some of you are using the regular 510 at 6v - same question??? If this is normal, how do you get past the burn taste?

If this is normal, then it sounds to me like you need to stay below the 8-9 watt range to avoid it.

Hi Brian, I'll be happy to step in here. I have frequently used a 510 on my VP PT and yes; I do get the burnt taste. Mentioned in your other thread too, but I've taken to a rather harsh and potentially destructive (?) method to restore the flavor, and I actually started doing that as a result of vaping on the VP PT - my first 5V unit. This has also presented itself with 302s on Woodimus (I decline to call it "Woody" due to the cascade of innuendo that inevitably follows that usage :D One learns.).

Perhaps you have something here. Now, is it gonna prevent me vaping 5/6V or high-wattage? No way, no how. :) I'll just live with the admittedly less-than-ideal 'hot box' restoration method. I'm looking forward to other thoughts on this, great thread Brian! thumbsup.gif

Brian, I have experienced the exact same thing with my 510's at 5-6volts. I use the 302 on my VP/PT and my SB and I rarely get that burnt taste with it. I assume the 510 just runs hotter, and as such, really cooks the juice. I have a couple of those magnum attys on the way. I'll let you know if I experience the same results at 3.7 with those.

Brian, I have experienced the exact same thing with my 510's at 5-6volts. I use the 302 on my VP/PT and my SB and I rarely get that burnt taste with it. I assume the 510 just runs hotter, and as such, really cooks the juice. I have a couple of those magnum attys on the way. I'll let you know if I experience the same results at 3.7 with those.

How do you resolve it, if you do Jeff? Just curious.

How do you resolve it, if you do Jeff? Just curious.

I'm sorry for not being too clear in my post. I just don't use the 510 on my HV units anymore. The 302 has been keeping me happy. :) Now that being said, my wife uses the 510 on her VP/PT and I have never heard her complain about a burnt taste.

Thanks Jeff. I wonder if I'm just unusually picky? One of the biggest thrills for me in vaping is the flavor. I'm just completely blown away with this. We talk about flavor a lot, and we've come to accept that as part of the whole deal, and we often remark how much better vaping tastes than smoking does. So I guess this is why when I get that awful taste I try so hard to get it back; I've never forgotten this most crucial aspect of our lifestyle, that vaping tastes good.

I've tried virtually every way I've ever heard to clean attys. I know that restoring their flavor is only one reason to clean an atty, but it's often been my primary one; I really love those few special flavorful hits after breaking in a new atty -- that's just the cat's meow. So I want pure clean flavor all the time.

Because I haven't been doing it all that long, I don't know if 'hot boxing' my attys is going to reduce their life. I do think it goes a long way to getting better flavor out of my equipment, and for now anyway I'm prepared to wait and see if it reduces their life noticeably. If it does, I reserve the right to go back to just ... living with bad taste. Because I'm also really cheap. ;)

One thing about burning the old juice out of an atty though that I don't mention much, is how freakin awful it tastes and smells! Yes, I can smell the acrid burning old juice as I'm trying to eradicate if from my device; and the taste is despicable! Really. But so far it seems to make a significant difference for me. (Oh -- and I cannot see myself doing this at my desk at work. Yikes! That would definitely bring some undesired attention. That's a practice I'll have to go to my car to undertake, because the huge cloud of stinky vapor is not a good advertisement. ;))

I use a regular 510 on my VP-PT almost exclusively and I haven't had any burnt taste. Now I do not use any of the "flavored" juices and stick to mostly tobacco flavors so that may be the difference. On the HV mods, even the tobacco flavors tend to taste burnt. The HV atomizers seem to bring it down to the "sweet spot" when vaping at 6v. Just my opinion anyway! :rolleyes2: