Vaping While Sick Doesn't Really Feel All That Great!

StevenP

As some of you guys know, I've been sick for the past few weeks. First was a nasty ear infection followed by a slight flu. Then a few days in the clear, the flu came back and turned into a big upper respiratory virus (I wasn't sure what it was called.)! It was probably the sickest I've ever been since I was a kid! I was so sure I somehow got swine flu (thankfully, it wasn't!)

The whole time trying to deal with it, I've been stuck in my room trying to keep from being contagious to others at the same time been sleeping off a fever and a really harsh throat! Every cough was energy draining. I would get into a coughing fit and feel completely worn out and just knock off to sleep.

Of course, I would want a nicotine fix, so I would start up my eGo while I was in bed, ready to enjoy vaping... Oh boy, was I in for a surprise. It felt like I was inhaling a steel wool scrub! It was really painful, I wasn't even sure what was going on, it seriously scared me! And I'm a 16-18MG vaper and I thought it was light-weight to some of the regulars here.

Anyway, I had schduled an appointment to my ENT to follow up with my ear infection and to also have him check out my throat. I had a lot of build up in both my throat and ears, which still today remains. So I'm scheduled sometime to get that checked out again. But I mentioned to the Doc, that I quit smoking and took up vaping. He wasn't exactly sure what vaping is, but if it was an alternative to smoking, he was all for it. But as a doctor, still skeptical of anything knew. I told him about the weird reaction and he told me that it might have been the nicotine interacting with the walls of my throat since it was sensitive. He also mentioned, if I'm re-using a mouth piece for my INHALATOR DEVICE, he explained to me that the reason the flu might have returned was because I just kept giving myself the flu! OVER AND OVER AGAIN!! If there was a need for a light bulb over my head, that was probably the point where it would've just popped out.

MAN, did I feel stupid...not to mention disgusted.

Normally I'd wash these suckers like no other... I swap out atties along with the mouth pieces regularly, But it COMPLETELY slipped my mind which were clean, I must have picked up a mouth piece our of the "NEEDS TO BE CLEAN" section of my little case... :(

So a bit of advice, THROW AWAY OLD cart pieces, NEVER keep them for more then a 2 week period to a Month or if your really stingy about saving them DRENCH them in hot water and wash the hell out of them after each use!!!!! Save yourself some time from getting sick.

I am sorry that you have been so sick. I hope you are feeling much better. We missed you.

Good tip on the cartridges. I do boil mine every couple weeks to get rid of the gunk, but I think I might start doing it more frequent.

Wow Steven, sounds like you've really had a terrible time trying to get over this sickness. After being sick for so long and feeling like trash, it really starts to work on your nerves and almost leads you into a depressive state. At least, that's what it's done to me in the past. Plus the fact that you're trying to quarantine yourself (which is great BTW, but doesn't help the fact that you're left alone to your misery) is a good thing, but something that most people can't do. I sympathize.

Thanks for bringing up the point about cleaning your cartridges. This was something I've been curious about lately as well, but haven't been able to find much info on it. I'm down to my last 510 whistle tip, and have been using it for about the past 4-5 days. Every site I look at is out of the whistle tips, and I just really can't stand the round ones.

Looks like tomorrow I'll be boiling this sucker. Thanks for the tip on that BirdDog

Feel better soon!

So sorry to hear you were so sick. How awful for you. :( Glad you're feeling better now.

Thanks for the heads up on the carts! I guess I've been lucky in that respect, as I hate hate hate stickiness. Can't even stand to touch a syrup bottle let alone use it. So, I have those alcohol based hand wipes handy at all times to wash off the cart. (however, I do intend to use the same one all day... hmmmm). Also, now that I have a stainless steel T-tip I feel safer once again. The stickiness will crust on it... I absolutely have to wash it off with hot water and a paper towel a few times a day. (will be more often in the summer I'm sure). I even set it into boiled water and swirl it around at least once a day. (to get rid of the inside buildup). I think I better order a few extras for those times I won't be able to wash at leisure. (travelling, etc).

Glad you're feeling better and back on the forum! Was wondering where you were, have missed your posts!

Hey all, thanks for the well wishes! I appreciate it :)

@BirdDog - That's pretty much what I do know with the carts I keep. I have a ritual of cleaning out carts whenever they've been sitting around too long.

@Brian - I highly recommend it, we are using re-usable items so it should follow the same sanitary conditions like our plates and utensils. Better safe then sorry. :)

@Brandon - You nailed it exactly! It felt really depressing while I was sick for so long, felt like I couldn't do anything. Even sitting in front of the computer made me feel lightheaded and sick, not to mention the coughing fits. Just to be safe, I'd rinse the carts off.

@Seaspine - I vape PG, Actually, I heard the same thing, that's why I didn't think that the carts might have been germ infested... Depends on the situation I suppose on what exactly PG kills and the amount need to kill bacteria. Also, it could have just been a natural winter cold/flu thing, I got and the carts might have no been the one that gave it to me. Who knows, but all I know is, I got sick bad and PG didn't really help me out. :D

@Uma T-tip is one I wanted to get! I'm pretty much trying to condition myself to treat my carts like I would with brushing my teeth or washing my face. Make it a routine of sorts. Just want to be more safe then sorry. Cause I wouldn't want to be that sick ever again! :)

I'm sure glad you're feeling better Steven. Being sick sucks big time and like Brandon mentioned, suffering alone can make it feel even worse. I guess I'm not surprised that vaping hurt your throat and lungs, but I bet it wasn't as bad as smoke would have been.

As to cleaning the tips, that's a good idea. I don't clean mine as often as I should either. I think it's time for a change in my bad habits too. ;) Welcome back, it's good to hear from you.

Wow! That's awful Steven. I sure am glad you're feeling better. And thanks for the tip on the carts. I really hadn't given that much thought. I've taken care of the cleaning on the attys and batts, etc., but really hadn't though much about the carts. Good advice.

I hope you feel up to posting a whole lot more now.

@ddavelarsen - Indeed, being sick for a too long can be really depressing especially if your losing track of the time, just staying in bed. I don't know what it was about the vapor that was irritating my throat, honestly. It was just way too harsh. I never gave it any thought really about switching carts or cleaning them regularly, I just tossed them into running water and back into a case. At least, this time, I will be cleaning them as if I was cleaning a dish or utensil from now on. :)

@Nana - I didn't really think much either, Just either dunked the carts in water if I had the time. But now, needs a good washing if I'm deciding to keep the carts. Haha, I wasn't much of a big poster, I usually posted or replied to topics I've had interest or knowledge in. But, yeah, will definitely be posting more. Or at least be more active in the chat room again. :)

I guess there is a plus side to my atomizers dying every 2-3 weeks. Sorry to hear about your trouble, I hope you fully recover in no time!

Hey Nero, I'm actually doing somewhat good, i still have a rough cough but other then that feeling great! I'm just hoping it doesn't come back. :)

It's not necessarily the atomizers, it's mainly the carts. Since carts are always in our mouths when we vape, it might prone to germs if your not careful, not sure about atomizers though....

OK, I'm not "that" kind of doctor but I do know enough to call BS on this one. I can't believe an MD would say something like that! :thumbsdown:

Number 1, the flu (and cold for that matter) are a virus. The reason you get over a flu or cold is that your body develops anti-bodies to the virus. The virus is still in your body and will be there until you die and maybe even a good while after that!

Number 2, nicotine will kill damn near anything, including you. A virus wouldn't stand a chance against even a low concentration of nic. Plus, as it was mentioned, PG is a potentent anti-germacide.

So what's really happening is that your are having a relapse because your immune system is just having a tough time dealing with this particular virus. You may also be getting secondary infections because your immune system is trying to fight off the virus instead of killing bacteria. Basically, it sounds like you are really run-down.

Like I said, I'm not an MD doctor but from experience you could try beta glucan (from the health food store), vitamin C (dissolve it in some VG and vape it), lots of water, and rest, rest, rest.

And the reason we don't like to vape when we are sick is because the PG dries out your mucus membranes and makes you feel like crap.

Anyway, I'm not saying we shouldn't clean our carts. It's probably a good idea since God knows what type crap collects on them from the air, carpet, fingers, whatever. But as for you condition, I would put money on the fact it has nothing to do with the carts.

Hope this helps and get well soon! :thumbsup: