Another Newbie...

Summ27

My husband and I have just started looking into e-cigs as an alternative to smoking (his heavy habit and my not-so-heavy habit). A co-worker of my husband uses the Tornado and this is what he recommends. It looks good on the website, but after reading threads on this forum, I am now questioning some of the terminology... particularly the 510 vs the 901. This has to do with the size of the atomizer? Or with the length of the charge (or is this the same difference?) How important is a portable charging case for a moderately heavy smoker? And is there one available for the Tornado? I have gathered that the manual battery is preferable over the automatic hit. Any hints or tips for first-time users?

Welcome to Vapor Talk, Summ27. I have the eGo, which is the exact same thing as the tornado, but with a different name. I can highly recommend it as a wonderful unit.

Normally when someone new comes here asking for recommendations, I always say the 510. It's a simple unit, more the size and shape of a regular cigarette, and puts out vapor similar to regular cigarettes, so I think it's the perfect first ecig. But since someone you know has recommend the tornado, I'd say that's okay, too.

The eGo or tornado are basically 510 units with batteries that are just a little bit bigger and last quite a bit longer. The batteries do cost about twice what the regular batteries cost, but they last so much longer that I feel it's well worth the price.

There is no charging case for the tornado, but the batteries last so long, you really wouldn't need one.

There is a size difference between the 510 atty and the 901 atty. There is also a difference in the amount of vapor. I was never happy with the 901, so I just don't recommend it, but lots of people are very happy with the 901. It always come down to personal preference.

I really feel that you can't go wrong with tornado. It's a bit more pricey than the regular 510 kit would be, but I think you'd want to move up to something like the tornado someday soon anyway, so you could save yourself a little bit of extra money by going this way to begin with. I do have 4 of the regular 510 batteries, but I don't use them. I keep them as a backup, but I use my eGo/tornado all the time.

Good luck with whatever you choose and be sure to ask any questions you have. You'll get plenty of answers.

My husband and I have just started looking into e-cigs as an alternative to smoking (his heavy habit and my not-so-heavy habit). A co-worker of my husband uses the Tornado and this is what he recommends. It looks good on the website, but after reading threads on this forum, I am now questioning some of the terminology... particularly the 510 vs the 901. This has to do with the size of the atomizer? Or with the length of the charge (or is this the same difference?) The numbers 510 and 901 are types of e-cigs. the Tornado uses the atomizer from a 510 e-cig. How important is a portable charging case for a moderately heavy smoker? There isn't a portable charging case (PCC) for the Tornado. The battery life on these units are so good I don't see the need for one. And is there one available for the Tornado? I have gathered that the manual battery is preferable over the automatic hit. Yes, most people prefer the manual over the automatic batteries. Any hints or tips for first-time users? I would recommend watching the videos that Chris & Mark have done here is a link http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/index.php?/videos/category-5-electronic-cigarette-faq/

OK now I can say Welcome to Vapor Talk. :)

Welcome Summ27 the 510 is a good choice as they have the mega batteries which fall somewhere between the regular batteries and the Tornado/Ego .the reason I suggest the 510 is you might not want to commit so much money until you are sure you like it.Most 510 starter kits come with two complete units and a charger so if you just ordered a few extra mega batteries and a few extra attomisers you should be set.If you decide you like vaping you can always upgrade and use the 510's as backups or as easier to carry around units.I like the 901's but I do not think they make the larger batteries for them although you can use the KR808 mega batteries on them.I have been doing this for eight or nine months and have gotten off the ciggerettes all together and I am almost off nicotine as well,vaping is not like smoking in any way but the physical one ,but I find it a good alternative.I have not found any liquid that tastes like a ciggerette but there are some very good flavors that I am sure you will like and look forward to .

Welcome to the site. You will get plenty of help here. The where to buy is an answer i can give you. Look around at all of the sites you can first of course but I would buy from arno at awesomevapor. His site is easy to use and he is real quick to answer emails too. I use the 510 with a passthru most of the day so the battery life isnt really a problem for me i keep a battery on me in case i need to be away from my truck for very long. The passthru just plugs into the power point of my truck and when im home i just plug it into the computer usb port and i am set.

Welcome Summ27, that's a good choice. One of the downsides most of us have endured is buying devices at first that titillate but don't quite satisfy; then we find our personal sweet spot and it's all good from there. But if you can find that right out of the gate you're miles ahead. I would also recommend carrying an extra fully charged battery and an extra atty at any time you're going to be away from home for more than a couple of hours. You just never know when that spare will come in handy. Have fun, learn all you can, and vape on! We're glad you're here.

Definitely recommend extra batteries, atomizers and liquid. Nothing is worse than being stuck with a dead battery, dead atomizer or not enough liquid.

I haven't tried the tornado, but it sounds like a great place to start. I love my 510's--the advantage to the 510 is the PCC (charging case)-that charges while you are out.

No matter where you start--there will always be something else that comes along that you just must have.

I am glad you and your husband have decided to take the plunge--you won't regret it !!!

BTW-welcome