Smoke Detectors

So I came into work this morning and was clearing out some emails and voice messages, when all of the sudden...the fire alarm tripped. Thinking my boss was just testing it I just ignored it.

Well...he wasn't testing it, it actually went off. At the time I had not even busted out my ecig, so I know for a fact it was not what set it off, but it did get me thinking...could it?

I have not set off the one at home with it...but im assuming that there is probably a difference between residential and commercial fire alarms. My boss was giving me all kinds of hell about it and after the FD came and cleared the building (We werent open yet thank goodness), I had to show him that my PCC and ecig were still tucked away in my backpack with all of my work equipment.

Thoughts?

That sucks that your boss gave you hell about it. Hopefully they let you off the hook once you proved to them that it wasn't you're fault. I don't know the differences between commercial and residential fire alarms, but I have not set off the fire alarms at my apartment. I think there's two in mine. The one in my bedroom I practically vape right underneath it and it's fine.

Just set the smoke detecter in my house off by blowing vapor into it,scared the heck out of my cats! I vape in places with smoke detectors all the time,even elevators and never set one off before.I think unless you blow the vapor right into it you should be ok.

I think what I recall hearing here before is that smoke detectors are really particle detectors. Generally, vapor will dissipate fast enough not to set one off unless you're really close to it.

I think what I recall hearing here before is that smoke detectors are really particle detectors. Generally, vapor will dissipate fast enough not to set one off unless you're really close to it.

This is what I had thought...I just imagined that commercial detectors may be a bit more sensitive for code/liability reasons.

Yeah...I was off the hook...he wasnt really pissed, was more just picking on me I suppose. We recently moved into a new brewhouse and the fire is monitored by the alarm company. We did have a problem at first because one of the detectors was right behind one of the primary fermenters and the exhaust would set it off. We had the alarm company come out and move the detector...which is right outside my office now...just funny that we have not had any problems since then, now I get into this vaping thing and the darn thing goes off making me look like the guilty party.