A Good Starter Mod?

Tektronik

I'd like to try my hand at a DIY PV mod.

I want to start off simple at first, so can anyone recommend a site where I can basically buy almost all the parts from one site and make a box-style PV? Probably one or two batteries-would like to go for longer battery life at 3.7 volts. Let's base it off the 510 atomizer. If it works out fine, I'll send it to my father-in-law, because I got him into vaping, and he has several 510 batteries which he takes with him every day to work. He's a heavy vaper, so I want to make it easier for him.

If I actually enjoy doing this, I'd like to venture into making my own mods. I have a few ideas... and it has to do with using extra scrounge parts from working around planes. I think it would be fun to have a PV made of military aircraft parts-not super expensive parts-just parts that are considered no "longer suitable for use", and are throw-away parts, but still look pretty cool. Who knows, if it works out, I'll give it away to someone here.

Any suggestions on kits?

I'd like to try my hand at a DIY PV mod.

I want to start off simple at first, so can anyone recommend a site where I can basically buy almost all the parts from one site and make a box-style PV? Probably one or two batteries-would like to go for longer battery life at 3.7 volts. Let's base it off the 510 atomizer. If it works out fine, I'll send it to my father-in-law, because I got him into vaping, and he has several 510 batteries which he takes with him every day to work. He's a heavy vaper, so I want to make it easier for him.

If I actually enjoy doing this, I'd like to venture into making my own mods. I have a few ideas... and it has to do with using extra scrounge parts from working around planes. I think it would be fun to have a PV made of military aircraft parts-not super expensive parts-just parts that are considered no "longer suitable for use", and are throw-away parts, but still look pretty cool. Who knows, if it works out, I'll give it away to someone here.

Any suggestions on kits?

Hey try www.madvapes.com you should be able to find pretty much everything your looking for. Also once you do decide to make some let me review one!.. GOOD LUCK BE SAFE!!

Well I can't find it now but madvapes.com has a DIY page - or used to have. I'll see if I can track down the URL and will post it later. Meanwhile, they have all the parts you will salivate over. ;)

I just tried my bookmark for MadVapes, and it's gone. Hope it's just a server issue or something.

http://www.madvapes.com/ is working link,I got some stuff and built two one battery and two two battery in parralel for 3.7 volts .Go with the AA size boxes for starters as the AAA size is a bit tricky especially with 302/801 size atty connecters.Radio Shack has the battery boxes ,switches and LED's in stock but the batteries and atty connecters you have to get online or I get the atty connecter off of a dead battery.

Edited by mcquinn

http://www.madvapes.com/ is working link,I got some stuff and built two one battery and two two battery in parralel for 3.7 volts .Go with the AA size boxes for starters as the AAA size is a bit tricky especially with 302/801 size atty connecters.Radio Shack has the battery boxes ,switches and LED's in stock but the batteries and atty connecters you have to get online or I get the atty connecter off of a dead battery.

That sounds like a plan! Thank you everyone for your responses! I'll look into creating one or two in the next few weeks. Not sure if I want to try a higher voltage one yet. I intend to send one to my father in law so he doesn't have to take four 510 batteries to work with him everyday.

Another thing is that I need to increase my supply and variety of juices. I hear so much about the flavor characteristics of juices changing at 5 volts or more.

My next purchase will be a 5v VP-PT. This VP2 I just got in the mail to me is awesome. All-day vaping on one battery. The next step for me is a device that outputs a constant 5 volts rather than a battery that constantly changes. Yes, I know that the Prodigy V2 regulates down to 5 volts, but even though it tries to keep it at around 5 volts, the batteries inevitably drain, and the current increases ( it has to, don't see any way around it). Having a constant power supply in my opinion is the way to go.

That sounds like a plan! Thank you everyone for your responses! I'll look into creating one or two in the next few weeks. Not sure if I want to try a higher voltage one yet. I intend to send one to my father in law so he doesn't have to take four 510 batteries to work with him everyday.

Another thing is that I need to increase my supply and variety of juices. I hear so much about the flavor characteristics of juices changing at 5 volts or more.

My next purchase will be a 5v VP-PT. This VP2 I just got in the mail to me is awesome. All-day vaping on one battery. The next step for me is a device that outputs a constant 5 volts rather than a battery that constantly changes. Yes, I know that the Prodigy V2 regulates down to 5 volts, but even though it tries to keep it at around 5 volts, the batteries inevitably drain, and the current increases ( it has to, don't see any way around it). Having a constant power supply in my opinion is the way to go.

A few random thoughts. The 2XAA boxes from RS have no master switch or rear cover clip to hold the cover on, you gotta use the screw. This switch though is decent and has a lower profile (and needs a smaller hole) than the rather large MadVapes 'horn switch'. Choose a switch with a rating of at least 1.5A.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062508

Buy a few boxes. Drilling plastic is a new experience. Try to clamp them firmly.

Decide if you want to recess the atty connector into the box. The advantage is a smaller profile and a stronger overall design. I've dropped mine more than a few times.

AA_small.JPG

This pic shows the rear clips that the RS box doesn't have (that's a MadVapes box), there will be a ready made hole on the bottom. Not a bad place to add a flush mount 3mm LED if you want one.

AA_LED.JPG

The disadvantage of a recessed atty is juice in the box if you aren't careful. I would also suggest one of the sealed atty connectors, again to keep juice out.

For a first project I would recommend a single, protected 14500 battery mod for it's compact nature. A 900mAh 14500 should last at least as long as 3 standard Joye batts. These batteries also have better longevity (months of use/more charge cycles) than e-cig batts. The other advantage of these box mods is the increased heat (Watts). Joye batts only pump out about 3.1V (about 4W), freshly charged the 14500's should be providing about 3.7V (almost 6W). Without being overly technical that's a nice step up from 'stock'.

That's some great info, thanks for your help.

Where did you get your boxes?

You mentioned something about sealed atty connectors. Where did you find those?

Your box mod looks like the perfect type for a starter mod. Thanks again for the help.

Your box mod looks like the perfect type for a starter mod. Thanks again for the help.

a great place to start is www.madvapes.com go to the mod parts section and there are tutorials and everytingto get u started :)

Looks like you don't have to go to Mad Vapes for info, there's alot of info here! I got enough stuff at Radio Shack to make several of these for under $10. Be creative and be safe. You don't have to make an exact copy of what's out there, making your first one is a great feeling no matter what it looks like.