Unprotected Cr2 Batteries Blow Up The Detonator / Burn Leg

Robert

Well i was completely wrong about using unprotected batteries. The 5 Volt Detonator did nothing to stop what happened. The vent holes may have helped to minimize the explosion but they did not stop it. It was pretty bad, I come to the forum tonight humbled and regretfull I ever used unprotected batteries.

OK so I had just gott some new Bright Blue CR2 batteries from Ebay. They were only a week old. They blew up and burned my leg, and scared the hell out of me. I had the Detonator in my pocket and I must have forgotten to turn it off or maybe it was off, I'm not sure.

Anyway " Boom" was the sound it made. I didn't have a chance to do any thing. The vent holes - did nothing. I do not recomend using Un Protected batteries at all. This could have been much worse if I was driving or holding it up to my face. I have heard of some protected CR2's but I do not know if they will run the 510 atty that is in my Detonator. I know some protected CR2's are out there and some are being developed / tested. If anyone has more info about Protected CR2's please post it up here.

I want everyone to be aware of what happen to me. Be carefull and stop using unprotected CR2's immediatly. This was much worse than I thought it would be. The explosion went through my pants pocket , boxers and into my leg. The JB weld nose cone held up fine.

053.jpg

042.jpg

036.jpg

045.jpg

044.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

:blink: OMG you better get that leg looked at!

Thanks for everyone kind words and support. As part of our little community I felt that this had to be posted up. My fiance cleaned it up good. I made her pause in order to take these pictures of my leg- I knew you all wanted to see.

Also FYI-

I thought Ultra Fire might be better also but look at the Ultra fire I got 3 days ago- What is written on them is a lie- There is NO PCB on these batteries- it is a complete lie!

I asked Cisco - in Video Chat on Nu- Vapor he has been testing protected CR2's that are only 600mah- the problem with them he saysa is that the PCB will not allow enough current to flow to fire a 510 atty.

Also he showed me CR2 with a PCB- they have a little ridge at the bottom and are slightly 1-2 mm longer- The PCB has to take up some space- a PCB has to be somewhere and take up space if it's there! These do no- they are exactly the same size as any unprotected CR2 I have used -

Ultra Fire is lying or who ever they have make these for them is lying or These are just claiming to be Ultra Fire. Anyway- when I bought these they didn't mention any PCB- They just showed up at my door with this written on them.

Watch Out- we don't know what battery factory makes what- I wont use CR2's to vape anymore!

Lie- imo

005-1.jpg

Lie- imo

007.jpg

That sucks man, I hope your leg feels better soon, and yes by the looks of things that could have been MUCH worse. I myself am going to start getting into mods, instead of my trusty 510 but WILL NOT and refuse to use anything that doesnt have protected batteries. Much because of the stories I have been hearing about unprotected ones lately. lol.

Man! I guess that device is aptly named! Glad you survived it but that looks pretty bad. A little too close to the "jewels" for my taste, too.

It's strange but my dad and I were on the phone talking about this very thing when I saw this post. He's a LiPo battery expert and said these things can happen. Once the cell of the battery gets punchered, it can spontaniously ignite from contact with oxygen. On a overdischarge, the case swells, ruptures, and you know the rest. So never hack into your old batteries. And NEVER charge them unattended. Even the protected batteries aren't 100% safe.

Get well soon, man. And thanks for letting us all learn from you experience. Sorry that you had to have this happen.

The leg is healing pretty good, Thanks for all your kind comments.

4 Days after the explosion I have completely re-designed the Detonator so that it uses protected CR123 batteries. The new batteries seem to last much longer, and hit better. The Detonator still uses a voltage regulator and every hit is consistant 5 volts. There is no drop off like a PV using a resistor to achieve 5 volts. Every time the button is pushed you get exactly 5.00 volt to the 510 attomizer.

I will be making a new DIY video soon - so you will be able to make your own 5 volt Protected Detonator CR123a.

I will be making a new DIY video soon - so you will be able to make your own 5 volt Protected Detonator CR123a.

I also wanted to say that I'm glad you're okay, and thank you for humbly sharing your story.

On a lighter note, I hope the new video includes a recreation of the dance you did when your pants were on fire! :jump: