Cnn- Ecigs Don't Deliver

Jeffb

Interesting article:

Study: 'Electronic cigarettes' don't deliver

By Paul Courson, CNN

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Nicotine delivery system same "as puffing on an unlit cigarette," researcher says

Virginia Commonwealth University studies "no-smoke tobacco" devices

FDA has halted imports of the devices as it studies their effect on health

RELATED TOPICS

Smoking and Tobacco Use

Food and Drug Administration

Virginia Commonwealth University

Washington (CNN) -- "Electronic cigarettes" that vaporize nicotine juice to inhale instead of smoke from burning tobacco do not deliver as promised, according to research at Virginia Commonwealth University.

"They are as effective at nicotine delivery as puffing on an unlit cigarette," said Dr. Thomas Eissenberg, at the school's Institute for Drug and Alcohol Studies.

His study, funded by the federal National Cancer Institute, is the first by American doctors to check the function of so-called "no-smoke tobacco" devices, which are unregulated in the United States for sale or use.

The units are shaped like a cigarette and contain a battery that heats a filament to vaporize liquid nicotine in a refillable cartridge. Smokers buy the devices to get around no-smoking restrictions and to attempt to quit conventional cigarettes.

Some users nickname what they're doing as "vaping" instead of smoking, to reflect the vapor produced by the heating element. The devices are marketed as an alternative to smoking, but retailers avoid making claims about health or safety.

Fans have established a Web site, www.e-cigarette-forum.com. Founder Oliver Kershaw said the site "is the largest e-smokers community online with some 26,000 members, most of whom are in the U.S."

Jimi Jackson, a former tobacco smoker in Richmond, Virginia, who sells electronic cigarettes, is convinced there are immediate health advantages in avoiding the known cancer-causing substances in the smoke of a burning cigarette.

"I smoked 37 years, and when I found them, I was, like, 'Thank, you Jesus,' " Jackson said with a laugh, as a reporter visited his shop, No Smoke Virginia, coincidentally just a few blocks from where the research was conducted at Virginia Commonwealth.

In March, the Food and Drug Administration imposed a ban on continued imports of the devices, pending regulatory review for any health risks.

The latest clinical evidence suggests users are not getting the addictive substance they get from smoking tobacco. "These e-cigs do not deliver nicotine," Eissenberg said of the findings he expects to publish in an upcoming issue of the British Medical Journal.

This past summer, Eissenberg recruited smokers without prior experience using e-cigarettes to volunteer to use two popular brands of the devices for a set period. The 16 subjects were regularly measured in a clinical setting for the presence of nicotine in their bodies, their reported craving for conventional cigarettes, and certain physiological effects such as a change in heart rate.

"Ten puffs from either of these electronic cigarettes with a 16 mg nicotine cartridge delivered little to no nicotine," the study found.

But the units may deliver hazardous chemicals, according to preliminary checks by federal regulators. In a notice to importers, the FDA blocked continued shipments after finding diethylene glycol, a chemical used in antifreeze that is toxic to humans.

The government's statement noted there are no health warnings on the products, and that "the FDA analyses detected carcinogens, including nitrosamines."

The notice of the import ban says "the product appears to be a combination drug-device," that "requires pre-approval, registration and listing with the FDA" in order to be marketed in the United States.

A company challenging the import ban claims in federal court documents to have sold 600,000 of the devices in a year's time through a network of 120 distributors in the United States.

"We are on the verge of going out of business, which is why we are suing the FDA in U.S. District Court," said Washington, attorney Kip Schwartz, representing a company called "Smoking Everywhere," a U.S. wholesaler that was importing the devices from China.

The lawsuit questions the FDA's authority to block shipments of a non-tobacco product, and says the agency has violated its statutory process for product review. Liquid nicotine is available on the open market through pharmaceutical houses and vendors who sell e-cigarettes.

A judge has yet to rule on the company's request for an injunction that would allow imports to resume. "There has been no change," said FDA spokesman Siobhan DeLancey. She said "a decision in the case is still pending, with no timeline."

President Obama, who has described himself as an occasional smoker, has been offered one of the devices by Florida Rep. Cliff Stearns. The Republican lawmaker's office said the president did not respond.

An administration spokesman last year said the White House was not aware of the offer.

In a copy of a letter to the chief executive dated March 26, Stearns wrote, "I have recently given out e-cigarettes to a few members of Congress and they have become quite a hit."

Sales of the devices continue at shopping mall kiosks and small storefront retailers, apparently drawing from stock imported before the FDA began to block shipments from overseas suppliers.

Find this article at:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/08/e.cigarette/index.html

Edited by jeffb

Great let me guess the ones they gave out to try were um lets see the crapiest yet most expensive models?????? i wished they'd come test me! or my boyfriend who went from 3 packs a day to maybe at the most 5 a day now. Or the lady at my office who went from two packs a day to nothing. or her mom who smoked for 47 years! and went to 3 a day at the most!!!! Give me a flippin break. How about doing some real research! find a the e-cigs that 90% of vapers use - you know the ones i'm talking about - the ones that actually WORK!!!!!!!!!!! test people who claim that they have gotten them off analogs - test those people - see if its all in their heads. ERRRRRRRRRR nothing irritates me more than a know it all with a degree. Its like going to the dr and him telling you that you dont feel how you say you feel because its impossible..... its my body i'd think i'd know before he would dont you think?!? The same with these - i stopped smoking didnt i? Isnt that really all that matters here? that people who have been smoking for years and umpteen packs a day have quit? By doing something that is (admit it you know i'm right) 95% less toxic than a cigarette? WHO FLIPPIN CARES about any of the rest of this BS???? How can you be soo flippin worried about e-cigs but yet turn a blind eye to something that you set on fire then put to your lips to breathe in its toxic fumes over 4000 of its toxic fumes!!!!????!!!!

ok sorry had to vent - this one really pissed me off......

Great let me guess the ones they gave out to try were um lets see the crapiest yet most expensive models?????? i wished they'd come test me! or my boyfriend who went from 3 packs a day to maybe at the most 5 a day now. Or the lady at my office who went from two packs a day to nothing. or her mom who smoked for 47 years! and went to 3 a day at the most!!!! Give me a flippin break. How about doing some real research! find a the e-cigs that 90% of vapers use - you know the ones i'm talking about - the ones that actually WORK!!!!!!!!!!! test people who claim that they have gotten them off analogs - test those people - see if its all in their heads. ERRRRRRRRRR nothing irritates me more than a know it all with a degree. Its like going to the dr and him telling you that you dont feel how you say you feel because its impossible..... its my body i'd think i'd know before he would dont you think?!? The same with these - i stopped smoking didnt i? Isnt that really all that matters here? that people who have been smoking for years and umpteen packs a day have quit? By doing something that is (admit it you know i'm right) 95% less toxic than a cigarette? WHO FLIPPIN CARES about any of the rest of this BS???? How can you be soo flippin worried about e-cigs but yet turn a blind eye to something that you set on fire then put to your lips to breathe in its toxic fumes over 4000 of its toxic fumes!!!!????!!!!

ok sorry had to vent - this one really pissed me off......

Unfortunatly for us, that is how the fda and its lobbyists intend to keep the majority of people from even trying them or looking into it and to come to a place like vt.com and talk to the people who have used the products that actually work. Everytime somebody asks me about it, I'll keep a spare cart on me and let them try a drag or two and let them decide on if they like it or not, and most do like it. But as long as these test are being conducted by the fda, they will keep doing everything they can to stop them. You know the saying "if you cant beat them, join them", we're going to have to make them give in by getting the word out with the real products and let people make a decision based of trying it.

Well, obviously Paul Courson isn't a reporter - he's merely a gossip, spouting whatever someone next door told him. What a load of crap. What do you want to bet that "cancer" organization is a tobacco industry mouthpiece? I think we need to do some research and debunk this article. I'm going to start by writing the gossip who wrote this hooey (if cnn has a link for him, which I haven't had time to check yet). I tried to leave a comment but cnn's website apparently only works with M$ browsers.

My brother (gnerd) and I both added comments to the article. Mike's was:

"This study was designed to achieve the specific result the FDA dictated, whether they funded it or not (and I'd bet money they did). Note they used liquid with the lowest possible concentration of nicotine available. As a pack-a-day smoker of full flavor cigarettes, I knew 16mg would be a total waste of time. I started with 32mg. It didn't cut it. I moved to 48mg - nicotine nirvana! Let this guy do a study with useful nicotine concentrations and see how it goes. But the fact is, the FDA doesn't want a safe smoking alternative available for a couple of reasons. 1) They're partially funded by big tobacco and big pharma and 2) They need victims of tobacco-caused cancer to continue beating the anti-addiction drum. The FDA isn't about health, it's about a zealous agenda; an agenda that denies the human nature of addiction. There are multiple studies of nicotine vaporizers that show positive results. Have you ever seen one reported on CNN? Of course not. Can you say, "Government sock puppet?""

:D Way to go Bro!

I wrote:

"This article is a complete load of hooey! Paul Courson is not a reporter – he’s merely a gossip spewing whatever someone told him. An actual reporter would have checked his facts. For example, the FDA’s power grab was slapped down in Federal court; they are prevented from trying to stop imports of e-cigs. That’s just the most obvious untruth in this screed. The “study” was anything but. A scientific study would have said “Brand X electronic cigarette” yielded “N” blood level nicotine. We all know that the devices sold in malls and storefronts are worthless. Yet this article presented those as e-cigs generally. More of Courson’s failure to investigate. 16mg per ml is a very low concentration of nicotine; this study did not even apply a standard nic level to determine whether it worked. If Courson had done any investigation whatever he would have questioned this “study.” But he didn’t. What a fool. Or should I say, “Tool”? If Courson or cnn had any courage they would provide an email address to contact the “reporter,” like actual investigative news outlets do. I would be happy to help Courson do his research before again spouting a bunch of idiocy to a generally undiscriminating readership. I welcome him to follow up with the email address in my login. What this really is, is Big Pharma and Big Tobacco pushing more of their propaganda against the first truly working cigarette alternative to come along in history. The "Establishment" is scared, and well they might be. If our govt truly cared about its constituents, they'd be promoting e-cigs day and night. Instead, too much Big Money stands to have its failed products go unused. I, like virtually everyone else who has posted here, have had sufficient help from my e-cig to quit smoking. This writer is an idiot and the “study” was a sham. CNN is in the middle of that, not wanting to anger their Big Money advertisers whose products will either kill you or give you nothing for your money."

I am giving the Larsen brothers a great big standing ovation at this moment! :animier: Way to go guys!!!

It is completely beyond me how a person can supposedly "report" on something and get it so very wrong. On every single layer. But then it is CNN and that's why I don't listen to or watch anything on CNN.

Okay, this Courson guy is obviously a moron and a hack, but come one, everybody, THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!!!

I really hope the FDA take note of this VCU research, and realize that, since no nicotine is being delivered by e-cigs, there is nothing for them to regulate. I'd like to personally congratulate Dr. Thomas Eissenberg and his whole crack research team for doing such a fine job. :thumbsup:

Okay, this Courson guy is obviously a moron and a hack, but come one, everybody, THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!!!

I really hope the FDA take note of this VCU research, and realize that, since no nicotine is being delivered by e-cigs, there is nothing for them to regulate. I'd like to personally congratulate Dr. Thomas Eissenberg and his whole crack research team for doing such a fine job. thumbsup.gif

Aw, that was a righteous laugh! Thanks John! :D

Very lame. I agree SmokinHammer. If ecigs are effective at getting us of analogs and don't deliver nicotine, isn't that a good thing?

Not fer me! I WANT my nicotine! :lol:

Not fer me! I WANT my nicotine! :lol:

Yeah, and think: If the naysayers have their way we can all go back to analogs and die real ugly! I'm sure they'd all feel quite superior, knowing we could have "just quit" like they did.

Their problem ain't a tobacco thing, or even nicotine; it's all about addiction. They just give themselves a righteous pass calling it by another name. Your earlier point about our excellent nervous systems giving us a natural tendency to addiction is right on. Judgmental people need lives of their own - but they're too "pure" to have them.